Profile for mcah > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 897

mcah "mcah" (Wimbledon)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Kodak Hero 7.1  All-In-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)
Kodak Hero 7.1 All-In-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer when it works....., 20 Jan 2012
SADLY I have had to alter my original revue (see below). Since we originally bought this printer, the first one lasted a month before breaking down with a fault Kodak could not fix. Having been through the online diagnostics and tried to get onto the chat line 27 times (yes 27) I eventually chatted to a very polite man who took me through all the diagnostics again to confirm it was no good and a new one would be sent. 5-7 days later, another came....it lasted a few weekss and then another break down. After doing diagnostics we concluded the cable had failed, and Kodak, again put us through the same diagnostics and concluded....the cable had failed. 5-7 days later new cable arrived. Printer powered up and then went thru start up routine, went blank and then tried again....and again...and again....Call to Kodak and, you know the routine by now, they confirmed the printer had failed. So5-7 days later, another printer turns up and.......that one doesn't work at all, it has an immediate fault and we cant clear it.....and nor can Kodak. So, another printer is shipped5-7 days later.....it arrives with a part missing (that holds the ink) and only powers up intermittently. At this point I research the UK address and email KodaK CEO. All previous personel we had spoken to was in India, couldn't have been nicer or more polite but they work to a script (the same one you can find online in Kodak help) and have no more technical skills than you or I....probably less in some cases (both of us are computer professionals). The man in the UK was appalled, Very polite and is sending out a retail brand new one. He recognised it shouldn't have got this far but we have of course yet to see if the one that arrives will work. Meanwhile we have had a Kodak printer since Jan, But we have had a working printer for only about 6 weeks of that, a lot of waste of ink due to cartridges drying out between reships and many many hours wasted in diagnostics, phone calls, packing, repacking, unpacking and resetting up. Great when it works....it just doesn't. Saving on ink YES cos it doesn't print!
SHAME.

What I thought at first:

I hadn't previously considered a Kodak Printer as I hadn't associated Kodak with the computer hw market. This got good reports from our local Staples store, reviews on Google and on Amazon. So we went for it. The price was great for the function and the ink cartridges are really good value. This printer cost the same as replacing 2 lots of print cartridges on my old Epson Photo printer!(which were 75 a set!!!!). I was nervous too about installation as other Kodak printer reviews reported nightmares installing.

NO WORRIES!. The printer start up instructions couldn't have been clearer. Simple, clearly illustrated and it ran like clockwork. Once set up I did have a couple of errors insisting there was a paper jam when there had only been one sheet through the printer and nothing could be found....but after switching it on and off a few times, that went away. There are two levels of opening the back for paper jams. A small hatch OR clips on the side of the unit to remove the whole back access cover. It does claim also that we have some sort of firewall which will restrict some print functions....but we dont, ignored it and it works fine anyway.

I only ever used Kodak paper so I havent experienced poor colour reported by other paper uses....this may be true but Kodak paper has always produced the best colour for me even on the old Epson, so it's not an issue for us. REMEMBER to put the photo paper in shiny side down if you have previously had a vertical sheetfeeder at the back of your printer. Might seem obvious but it took me a couple of goes to cotton on! (Doh)

We then installed it on all four of our home network wifi laptops, 2 MacBook Pros and 2 Dell Windows and had no issues there either apart from the firewall claim...A sw glitch maybe but it all works anyway.

I highly recommend this,it's neat and easy peasy to install but DO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They are so easy to follow, a child could do it.

Mio Spirit 687 europe
Mio Spirit 687 europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, clear, well put together, a great product., 12 Jan 2012
This is a superb satnav. Dead easy to use, you dont need instructions, totally intuitive. Clear clean maps, easy to follow. Instructions spoken in time, clearly with a second reminder as you reach the actual spot for the next step....useful in case you forgot or were disturbed. Routes seem good and get you there in the time specified.
Warns you about cameras, tells you the speed limits and when it changes with a ping. Also pings once to let you know if you are speeding (this may sound annoying but it actually isnt as you can chose to ignore it and it wont tell you again...but sometimes you may not be aware you are speeding and it certainly is worth being reminded when going through villages where speeding is very anti-social etc...). Also traffic info, choice of routes, fastest, most direct etc....
A very practical and very good value purchase.
Dont forget to buy a case as it doesnt come with one but you can get them on Amazon or ebay for as little as 7. Doesnt need to be leather, just to protect the screen from damage.

'til i reach the sea
'til i reach the sea

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Listen, then go see her live! Unique., 12 Jan 2012
I first heard this album at the end of an xmas party at a friends house. We had music on all afternoon and evening and I knew it all quite well but it was just background. Then, this album was put on and, though deep in conversation (and I am a chatterbox), I couldn't listen to anything else. So I found out who it was and downloaded this compilation.
Loved it! Everyone I have played it to loves it and buys it, and across the age range too. Even those not that much into folk. A most beautiful clear, clean voice. Excellent songs sung with passion and meaning and often a sense of fun.
This is a great first taster album, then go on to the others.
She's amazing live and tends to favour smaller venues and certainly gives you a fantastic evening's entertainment.
Can't recommend enough.

On Black Sisters' Street
On Black Sisters' Street
by Chika Unigwe
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient depth, a little predicable. What does it add?, 29 Dec 2011
A book such as this is not simply a work of fiction. As such, it is hard to judge it purely in those terms. The author clearly has the ability to write prose and choses a contemporary and heartbreaking topic but somehow fails to move the issue on from what most people who watch documentaries or read newspapers are already aware of.

I am well aware of the trafficking of women into wealthy countries (not just Europe) for the sex trade. This has gone on all over the world for probably as long as the world has existed. The women traded are usually from desperate situations either from poverty or war and are therefore vulnerable and easily exploited. They don't all get tricked into it, some go with their eyes open as to the 'work' that awaits them. However, few realise the slavery they have signed up to in repaying their pimps for the supposed 'opportunity' of a brave new life in a wealthy country. The majority are in the countries illegally and therefore have no protection and are totally at the mercy of those exploiting them. Many Eastern European suffer this fate within the UK, sometimes as total prisoners inside buildings. None of this is new. There have been many articles and documentaries covering these; complete with filmed interviews of the victims (often in silhouette to safeguard their identity) and their stories and backgrounds are heartbreaking. Those that control them are dangerous and think nothing of disposing of them at the drop of a hat, safe in the knowledge that nobody will expend much effort defending those that technically dont exist.

This is my point about this novel. It doesn't really show us much beyond what we should already know and in many ways shows us rather less. The depth of emotion and anger I have felt over press reports has been much greater. The characters in this book are given a past and, in some cases a horrific past but somehow the author doesn't develop this sufficiently or get us sufficiently involved with the characters to have the intended effect. For instance one of the girls sees her family murdered and is gang raped by rebels but soon after finds herself in a Sudanese refugee camp and falls in love with one of the peace keepers and ends up back in his tent where they develop a relationship...Eventually the relationship does go wrong but somehow this all happens rather fast and casually. Somehow the deep damage both physical and mental that she has suffered is not covered or (is assumed) and this makes the follow on relationship seem somewhat unlikely. Her feelings are not discussed, it's almost as if she's just had a bit of bad luck but she's over it soon enough.

The plot is very predictable.....maybe because it is not news.

If you are unaware of what goes on, then this is well written and certainly worth reading but it is not as deeply gut wrenching at it should be because somehow we dont get close to any of the characters for long enough. Time moves rather randomly back and forth and the developing closeness between the girls is somehow not demonstrated or credible. I think this is why the book doesn't quite hit the mark.

Not a bad book at all but not quite satisfactory for purpose.

The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn The Game (Wii)
The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn The Game (Wii)
Offered by MediaMerchants
Price: 15.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun & graphics, suitable for much younger than 12!, 26 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my son who is 8 without looking at the age rating since the film was PG. I was surprised when it came to see it was a 12 but thought we would see how it was with a view to putting it away again if it was unsuitable (I tend to follow the age guidelines usually). In fact there seems to be NO reason for it's 12 rating. It claims violence but really the worst that happens is that characters can punch and kick each other and this results in the victim being knocked out at worst, with his head surrounded in stars. No bruises, no blood, no death. It is really very tame....Tom and Jerry can be more violent.

Other than that, the game is excellent and lots of fun with excellent graphics. He has got stuck a few times but got through with perseverance but not so much as to totally frustrate him.

A really excellent game for kids.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2012 5:02 AM BST

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
by David Mitchell
Price: 8.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Different to others but nonetheless excellent, 10 Nov 2011
This is a stunning book, beautifully written and atmospheric. I won't go into details etc as others have, but would urge readers to have an open mind. This is a very different type of novel from his others but nonetheless excellent. We musn't 'typecast' authors and it is much to his credit that he can write a historical novel so beautifully and profoundly vividly portray the characters of the time, the harshness of the time but yet make the characters very much real/alive in a modern sense. The characters are not the stilted stereotypes so often seen in historical novels but very roundly depicted. The relationships between the dutch and the japanese are so well portrayed as are the british sailors/pirates (wasn't much difference in those days!) in their brief appearance. I felt the same sense of life in the characters as I did in Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall although they are very different books.
The authors own piece about the writing of a historical novel and how he came to produce a style of book he would never have typically written makes interesting reading in itself.
He's not a one trick pony. I always find it interesting to find versatility in writers.

Skippy Dies
Skippy Dies
by Paul Murray
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, rich, funny, sad, well observed, unputdownable!, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: Skippy Dies (Paperback)
I loved it. I really think there is little I can add that hasn't already been said in the positive reviews. I can't agree with the negative reviews at all unless you want no challenging parts in a book or judge books by length.
Read it, savour it....I just finished it and, despite it's length, I am wondering whether to start it all again or move on to the pile of 14 other books I got for my birthday.
Not very informative as a review, I just wanted to up the star rating and counterbalance the inexplicable single star reviews.
Enjoy!

The Slap
The Slap
by Christos Tsiolkas
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Less than woeful, insulting, racist, shallow, you name it., 13 May 2011
This review is from: The Slap (Paperback)
I am pushed to write this only to ensure that this book's rating goes down even further on the star listing.

Read any other one star review and you will get the picture.

Characters are one dimensional and obnoxious, you cant raise an interest (even an unhealthy/perverse one!) in any of them. We are to believe that all Australians are obnoxious, selfish, self obsessed, unfaithful to their partners, obsessed with unpleasant sex (though this activity is only ever referred to with the lovely F word), shallow, one dimensional, dishonest, racist, alcoholic and take drugs openly and regularly (does everyone have abong and take heroin and speed as a matter of course even with kids around?)....if they are, this book is a social documentary.....but I dont think so.

Not a realistic character in the book. The famous SLAP is administered to a revolting brat by a dad trying to protect his own child from being hit by a bat.....And we are talking a slap not a thump though frankly the 'debate' about slapping is neither here not there.....the slapping incident is a side issue to a lot of irrelevant drivel. That any of these lowlife who use an obscenity at every opportunity even in front of kids (and generally behave like pigs), even taking drugs around their kids, should worry for one second about a small slap given at an -arguably- appropriate moment is risible. They're not nice enough to be the sort of people who would even care....not even the parents of the brat.

NOTHING stands up....it's not even worth reading if you have nothing else to read....honestly, write your own book, I guarantee you can do better.

Shame, the whole slapping issue could have been handled by someone who could write and made it thought provoking. I can only guess that the Booker longlist must have been short of material that year. How it won the Commonwealth prize is just depressing....or did nobody else write a book that year?

I wont even give it to charity, recycling is the best place for this eerrrr..... book.

MacBook Pro 13inch 2.4GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, SD card slot, up to 10 hour battery life)

5.0 out of 5 stars So many wasted years with microsoft, 6 Feb 2011
Father Xmas brought me this Mac Pro to replace my old Dell/Microsoft PC. Having worked in the Computer Industry since the invention of the first PC and before, I have been a Microsoft PC user for all my computing life (that's over 30 yrs for those youngsters out there). I always thought it was the 'proper' type of PC....how wrong I was. I now wonder why I have spent so many years battling with poor sw, dog-eared Windows and complex operations to do the simplest things when Apple has had an elegant, easy to use, user friendly, polished machine sitting there waiting for me to use. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. Everything is clear, simple, attractive, intuitive. A lot of the annoying stuff and irritating bugs I have grown used to just coping with.....gone, gone, gone.

I won't bore you with all the features etc, others have already written about it. It does what a PC does but well, easily, smoothly, clearly and fast with no complications, dropped sessions, recovery of websites, absurd bugs, reboots, incomprehensible/unhelpful messages or cumbersome menus. I would just say TRY IT. It doesn't take long to switch over. What you dont know immediately is easy to find out. It took me roughly a week to feel totally at ease...
Enjoy!

The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh: A Woman in World History
The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh: A Woman in World History
by Linda Colley
Price: 20.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and accessible history, 2 Oct 2010
I read this book some time ago and was driven to add an opinion as I found the two reviews already sitting here so irksome. Both in my view thoroughly miss the point.

Linda Colley does not pretend at any stage that Elisabeth Marsh is anyone special or that we should have heard of her. Indeed she makes it very clear that the person herself is in many ways unremarkable but for the fact that she kept an extraordinarily detailed diary of her life in which events, through a fascinating period of history, determined a lot of her life. It is the extraordinary ordinariness of the person in fact which makes the book so appealing. This is a lady whose life is very much dictated by the historical events of the time. As such Linda Colley manages to make history accessible and much more vivid to the reader because, rather than giving us a highbrow intellectual historical textbook for the academic (which she is more than qualified to do), she has used these real diaries to bring history to life and show the effects that the world events of the time have on Elizabeth Marsh. From this we can also examine our own lives and wonder to what extent many of our lives might also be afected...though this is my thought rather than her intent.

It is a book which is fascinating. Yes, she does interpret, but then her interpretations are not off the mark as they are informed.

Both my husband, who is an Oxford historian and reads almost exclusively historical books and I (who has a very meagre history 'o' level) found it rich and beautifully written and a very novel and refreshing way to present this fascinating period of history. I am now off to read more by the same author.

Thoroughly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2012 12:44 PM BST

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15