Profile for J. Fogel > Reviews

Content by J. Fogel

J. Fogel "djjj_128" (London, England)

Escape from Planet Monday
Escape from Planet Monday

1.0 out of 5 stars Pop D&B, 8 May 2006
It's a shame but it seems that a new genre of D&B had grown...it's terrible, I call it Pop DnB because it had fantastic production but is all but bereft of ideas that are original or at all interesting. And for some reason to match with this pop music theme, nearly every single track on this album has a very camp sounding male vocal chorus. It's a terrible album, not least mind numbingly boring, but even the apparent "raver's anthem" on the album, toted to be the track "X-Project" whilst being the highlight of the album, still does not make me nod my head as much as any respectable jump up dubplate. There are no liquid parts I haven't encountered ideas from before let alone enjoy, and some of the melody ideas are literally disgusting to the ears...abrasive in fact.

I have definately enjoyed some of Fresh's work in the past, he has had a hand alongside Pendulum in creating some fine hardcore mixes like Junglesound etc, but...

Avoid "Escape from Planet Monday" like the plague.

Portakabin Fever
Portakabin Fever
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars The Odd Review Out, 15 Sep 2005
This review is from: Portakabin Fever (Audio CD)
Sorry, but upon reading all of these five star reviews, I felt that I had to write this review incase you're tempted towards this album as I was. This album has been comparisons drawn to it from the like of Pest, Wagon Christ, even DJ Yoda and Shadow. I likw all of the above, and I am a huge fan of this sort of music...when it is done well. This, my friends is a perfect example of some people with a computer and Reason and a whole bunch of badly, badly selected samples from across the board. And what an uninspired, shambolic, downright boring CD. I can barely stand to listen to the predictiveness, the mediocrity...it really gets to me. What Hint has done has not only been done before but has been done so much better buy others. If I were you, deliberating about whether or not to buy this album, then don't buy it if you are looking for something thought provoking or interesting. Don't buy it if you are looking to chill with a very listenable if not a little mundane album. Only buy it if you think that you really will not mind that same loop over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. 1st buy Wagon Christ aka Luke Vibert's entire back catalogue, then buy Entroducing, then buy Neccessary Measures by Pest, and then email Ninja Tune asking them why they publish such crap music when they obviously have so many good artist to their label. Terrible, dire, boresome.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2009 3:41 PM BST

Necessary Measures
Necessary Measures
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky chopped goodness, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: Necessary Measures (Audio CD)
I bought this without really knowing what I was in for. Sometimes I do this and the CD isn't all too great. This isn't the case with Necessary Measures. Firstly, it is certainly a grower. I have had this record for about three or four months, and when I first got it, I only liked track four, Heard ya Bitch Moved in, for it's clever track progression (The intro is truly misleading, you'll hear what I mean). But now, all of the tracks seem to me to be excellent, exept track one, Chicken Spit, which is s**t.

Mf Ep
Mf Ep
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new for bored ears, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: Mf Ep (Audio CD)
First, I wouldn't call this an EP. There are many tracks and many instrumentals, and the best tracks in my opinion are near the beginning. 'No Snakes Alive' is my favourite track, because it is like no other beat I've ever heard. There is ingenious chopping of a freaky sample in the backround, with Doom's calm and at the same time frantic emceeing. The rest of the 'EP' is similiar. I would say buy it, if you are a fan of MF Doom, Underground Hip Hop, ingenious lyrics, constantly attention grabbing beats, or good music. If not, stay away, as it really is quite a quirky little record.