Profile for D. Evans > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
You Came a Long Way from St. Louis: The Many Sides of Chuck Berry
You Came a Long Way from St. Louis: The Many Sides of Chuck Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent different compilation., 5 Dec. 2006
About time we had a decent compilation of Chuck Berry's lesser known songs. The greatest hits are endlessly re-cycled, but there are perhaps another twenty or so great Chuck Berry songs which are rarely heard, and many of them are available on here.

Released according to the notes as a companion to the recent double disc 'The Very Best of Chuck Berry', 'Sweet Little Rock n Roller' and 'It Wasn't Me' are on both albums. The latter incidentally is one of those great lesser known songs. You also get the original and probably better version of 'Reelin' and Rockin' on here as opposed to the 1970's risque live version which is on the 'Very Best Of'.

As you'd probably expect not everything on this compilation is great, and I would argue that there is still some material left off here that is better than some of the stuff included. But what they've tried to do is show the variety of Chuck's music and they've largely succeeded. Along with the aformentioned 'It Wasn't Me' other excellent tracks are 'It's My Own Business' (covered by Dave Edmunds), 'Go Bobby Soxer', 'Have Mercy Judge,' 'You Came A Long Way From St Louis', 'Louie To Frisco' (covered by George Thorogood), 'My Mustang Ford', 'Route 66' and 'Worried Life Blues' - the latter two Berry's cover version of other people's songs. There is an excellent track by track guide to the songs too. However, if you already have the album St 'Louis To Liverpool' and the two albums on one disc release 'Chuck Berry In London' and 'Fresh Berry's' as I do, then you will already have most of the best of this material.

Reelin' And Rockin' - The Very Best Of
Reelin' And Rockin' - The Very Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars The Governor!, 5 Dec. 2006
Chuck Berry is probably my single favourite artist and I would argue THE single most important artist in rock music. Anyone who doesn't enjoy his music simply cannot like rock music period, and no one can deny his influence. He must be the single most widely covered artist. Just some of the people who have recorded his songs are: The Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones (multiple times) Yardbirds, Animals, Kinks, Faces, Rod Stewart, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, ELO, Uriah Heep, Steve Gibbons, MC5, Dave Edmunds (multiple times), The Band, George Thorogood and Tom Petty. Incidently, the cover songs by Petty, (Jaguar and Thunderbird) The Band (Back To Memphis) and the two I've heard by Thorogood (It Wasn't Me and Louis To Frisco) I actually heard before the Berry originals, never even having heard OF them before, such is the depth of his catalogue.
I say 'depth' it must be acknowledged however that Berry wasn't averse to releasing the same tune with different lyrics. He did this on several occasions with different songs. So most famously 'No Particular Place To Go' is really 'Schoolday'. However he also reissued 'Memphis Tennessee' as 'Little Marie', 'Sweet Little Sixteen' as 'The Little Girl From Central' and 'Country Line' became 'Jaguar And Thunderbird', perhaps the only occasion where the re-write is more famous than the original. Furthermore, he re-used the famous riff from 'Johnny B Goode' many, many times. It could be argued that this doesn't really matter - a good tune is worth hearing again with different lyrics and the brilliant opening of 'Johnny B Goode' warrants countless re-cycling. Furthermore, many blues songs are simply the same tune with a different title anyway. Perhaps of more concern is that by all accounts Berry was often a very mean and sometimes unpleasant man, and it appears that he didn't acknowledge the contribution made to his music by his pianist Johnny Johnson, who if one believes the information which has emerged in recent years, ought to have been given co-authorship of many of the songs which are soley credited to Berry. Berry wrote the lyrics - and what brilliant lyrics they often are (certainly compared with contemporary rock and roll songs) - but it's been claimed that Johnson was largely responsible for much of the music.
Anyway, what of this latest compilation? I already have 'The Anthology' a similar two disc release, which I thought was The definitive existent Berry compilation - there are so many on the market! I'd bought that to replace a single disc greatest hits I'd previously owned. I purchased this latest release thinking it was even more comprehensive than 'The Anthology' (56 tracks compared to 50) and that it would therefore replace 'The Anthology'. As a further temptation it also had on it several songs I'd never heard before - 'Festival', 'Go Go Go', 'I'm A Rocker', 'Viva Viva Rock n Roll', 'Flying Home', 'Ramona Say Yes', 'Deep Feeling'. All these songs, together with 'Back To Memphis', 'Check Me Out', 'Liverpool Drive', 'Little Marie' and 'Run Rudolph Run' aren't on 'The Anthology'. However 'The Anthology' has six tracks which aren't on here. The excellent 'House of Blue Lights', together with 'Downbound Train', 'Do You Love Me', 'Betty Jean', 'Childhood Sweetheart' and 'Don't You Lie To Me'. The latter is on the recent single disc companion release of lesser known songs to this album, 'The Many Sides of Chuck Berry'. The linear notes on 'The Anthology' are also quite a lot more detailed than the ones on here too. So if you want to be comprehensive you probably need both collections, together with 'The Many Sides Of Chuck Berry'; even then you wouldn't by any means have everything. However, for the less dedicated fan all the great hits are on both, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Incidently neither compilation has the original studio version of Reelin'& Rockin' but both favour the risque live 1970's version which was Berry's last hit. If you want the studio version it is on 'The Many Sides Of Chuck Berry' as are 'Sweet Little Rock and Roller' and 'It Wasn't Me' both of which for some reason are on here too. The brilliant 'It Wasn't Me' by the way is one of Berry's great lesser known songs.
Either way I would argue a decent Chuck Berry compilation is essential in any music fan's collection, because if Elvis was the King of Rock n Roll then Berry was The Emperor or at the very least The Governor!

The Slade Box [Box Set]
The Slade Box [Box Set]

3.0 out of 5 stars Great singles band, but...., 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Slade Box [Box Set] (Audio CD)
This is the first comprehensive box set of THE most successful singles band of their time. Slade seem to have been rather unfairly negelected in the CD era. Indeed, only this year has there been a reissue programme of some of their albums, whilst others I believe remain unavailable. Of course Slade were never really an albums band. Indeed they straddled a strange barrier - too heavy (particularly later) to be really pop and too poppy to be really rock. Furthermore, they hardly ever indulged in solos or broke the 4/5 minute barrier, therefore they were never really taken seriously (in their hey day) as a rock group, and they certainly never had any pretentions to be remotely progressive. This was one of the reasons they never made it in the States. Indeed, I always felt that, rather like Mott The Hoople, they fitted rather uneasily into the glam rock category. They seemed like a mainstream rock / pop group who just happened to rise to prominence in that era so thought they'd play along with it.

When I was fourteen years old I truly loved Slade - 'Tak' Me Bak 'Ome' was the first single I bought - but within less than a couple of years I'd stopped buying singles and got into album bands such as Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, etc; and Slade like Bolan/T Rex, became massively uncool for me and my contemporaries. Our feelings must have been reflected in a million other teenage boys, hence their huge fall in sales from the mid seventies onwards.

Listening to these discs it's undeniable that Slade, again like Bolan, but unlike Bowie who was never so formulaic, did decline musically. The first two discs in this four disc set are far superior to the second two. There is still the odd highlight, but much of it is rather forgettable pseudo heavy metal - I say psuedo because the songs are still short and lacking in guitar solos. However listening to the first disc and much of the second we are reminded what a great singles band Slade were - at least for a time. I believe they were always too limited to be a decent album band, but for a time between 1971 and 1975 they were without parallel in the singles charts. The figures speak for themselves. Out of fourteen releases only one failed to make the top ten and only one more failed to make the top five. Six number ones, three number twos and two number threes make for serious chart success. And this was in an era when singles sales were far higher than they are today. I would think only The Beatles and Oasis could compare for similar top ten success amongst 'proper' bands who could actually play if one discounts 'boy' bands and rubbish like the Spice Girls.

Slade's early stuff is also eminently listenable. There are nine cuts on disc one before we get to the first big hit 'Coz I Luv You' and all are worthwhile. Unfortunately, as previously noted I think the last two discs prove that Slade were actually a limited talent. There is the odd decent tune but much is pretty forgettable. For example, a song such as 'Radio Wall Of Sound' is actually a very mundane tune that relies on production gimmicks, and there are at least a dozen others like it - some actually worse! Whether or not it's worth getting this box rather than 'The Very Best of Slade' double album which came out last year is debatable. That album has 34 songs including every hit. All are included here and I'm not sure that very many of the extra 50 tracks in this set are that essential.

It is however an extremely well presented box set with a lengthy and informative essay which did tell me stuff I didn't know, a complete discography and some great photos. Certainly if you buy this you'd need little else by Slade, although there is only one live cut - 'In Like A Shot From My Gun' and we get a studio version of 'Born To Be Wild' rather than the more famous live version. So real fans might be tempted by the recent double album reissue which rounds up all their live releases too. However, this is easliy enough - and perhaps slightly too much! - Slade, for me!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 1:07 PM BST

Testament:  The Complete Slash Recordings (1981-1985)
Testament: The Complete Slash Recordings (1981-1985)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'undiscovered band!, 2 Oct. 2006
I thought I'd investigate music by roots rock type bands who I hadn't heard much by. So I downloaded samples from The Georgia Satellites, The Fabulous Thunderbirds and the Black Crowes. I must say I wasn't that taken with any of them. I found them all rather generic. All were listenable but I thought the type of music had been done better by other bands such as the Stones, The Faces, Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Flamin' Groovies to name but four. Then I remembered a band called The Blasters. I'd read a fabulous review of their first album when it was originally released back in 1981, but had subsequently forgotten all about the band. The height of New Romanticism and New Wave wasn't really the right time for a band playing old style rock n roll, although the Straycats and Rockpile (the brilliant band fronted by Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe) were having some success with similar types of music in the UK during the turn of the 80's.

Anyway I was immensely impressed by The Blasters. They seem to have a cleaner, better produced sound compared to the Crowes, the Satellites and the Thunderbirds; their songs are stronger and they had a better singer. The only song that most people will be familiar with on this generously filled and superbly packaged and annotated compilation is the opening track 'Marie Marie' which was a big hit in the UK for Shaking Stevens. I must say I was surprised to discover this was a Blasters song as I thought it to be an original fifties rock n roll song originally recorded by someone such as Eddie Cochran. That's what's great about The Blasters - their original songs are as strong as the authentic rock and roll and r n b songs they cover, and consequently work brilliantly. 'Border Radio' and 'American Music' are perhaps two of their strongest but everything they did - and all of it is here on these two discs - is worthwhile. What is also great about the band is that their cover songs for the most part aren't the obvious ones, so no Chuck Berry, etc. Apart from 'High School Confidential', 'Keep a Knockin' and 'Got Love If You Want It' I'd never heard of any of their other covers songs, proving that there's still a wealth of little known r n r and r n b tunes out there.

The first disc is undoubtedly stronger as the band was fresher and more exciting. I suppose it's difficult for a band rooted in r n b and r n r to change their sound or 'progress', so it's perhaps inevitable that they're going to burn out creatively fairly quickly as happened with both Rockpile and The Straycats, although of course the Stones managed to sucessfully 'evolve' - at least for a time.

Anyway the bottom line is that if you like rock n roll guitar, boogie woogie piano and the wailing sax, you can't go wrong with this brilliant compilation. Quite simply the Blasters are a blast and the best undiscovered band I've heard for ages!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2010 1:11 AM BST

Defender
Defender

4.0 out of 5 stars Sags in the middle!, 28 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Defender (Audio CD)
This was Rory's penultimate album, released in 1987, five years after his previous one. When compared to his output of at least one, and sometimes two albums a year in the seventies, it appears that the great guitarist was struggling creatively. However, it was more likely declining sales and corresponding problems with record companies that were the reason for the slumpin Rory's recorded output. He continued to tour relentlessly and live up to his deserved reputation as the 'hardest working musician in the business.' And unlike so many more celebrated performers Rory was a real musician if ever there was one.

I remember a friend playing me this when it was originally released on vinyl and to my shame I'd virtually forgotten about Rory. I was a fan as a kid briefly in the early seventies, but then like so many artists of his generation, Rory was supplanted in my music collection by more contemporary performers.

Well the tenth anniversary of his death last year and the release of the superb Live at Montreux DVD re-awakened my interest in Rory and I decided to see out more of his many albums to add to my paltry collection of `Blueprint' and `Tattoo', which I still think are his best albums.

`Defender' is good, even great in parts, but suffers from the `sagging in the middle syndrome' if ever an album does.

It begins with four strong tracks in a row, but then takes a distinct turn for the worse with the totally forgettable tracks `Failsafe Day' and `Road to Hell'. On these Rory leaves his beloved blues behind and sounds like a generic clumsy heavy metal performer. Things pick up ever so slightly with the next two numbers, `Doing Time and `Smear Campaign,' but without the last four tracks these wouldn't be enough to redeem the album. However next up is a brilliant version of Sonny Boy Williamson's `Don't Start Me To Talkin' one of Rory's best ever covers. The last track on the original album, `Seven Days', is also a winner. But it is the two bonus tracks which I think were included as a 7 inch (not sure why as Rory didn't release singles) with the original lp, that really up the quality. Both are excellent, particularly `Seems To Me', with its insistent driving rhythm.

Despite the considerable blip in the middle where it slumps into generic heavy metal, unworthy of Rory's talents, `Defender' emerges as perhaps his strongest album since `Calling Card' in 1976.

In all honesty I don't think Rory ever made a totally outstanding album, despite making a handful of very good ones, because as I recently read someone saying on the internet `it was Rory Gallagher's fate to be a very great musician but merely a good songwriter.'
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2015 5:06 PM BST

This Is Hardcore
This Is Hardcore

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not in the 'Different Class', 15 Sept. 2006
This review is from: This Is Hardcore (Audio CD)
I've always been a little ambivalent about Pulp - on the one hand they've produced some of the most glorious pop songs of the 90's: 'Disco 2000', 'Mis-shapes', 'Babies' and of course 'Common People' - perhaps THE song of the decade - to name a few. However, I've always had the nagging feeling that melodically they were somewhat limited (themes often seem to repeat themselves) and certainly Pulp's music often doesn't match up to Jarvis Cocker's frequently marvellous lyrics. Indeed as a British pop lyricist Cocker is up there with the likes of Morrissey and Ray Davies, one of a handful of all time greats. Noel Gallagher is often a superior tunesmith but as a lyric writer he's not in the same class as Cocker for power and originality. Yes, Jarvis Cocker is a brilliant lyricist and an equally great showman so it really irritates me when he indulges so frequently in those whispered monologues which seem to suggest he has run out of tunes and you can't properly hear his excellent lyrics. He does this on the numerous occasions on Pulp records, most notably here on `Seductive Barry', the longest and unfortunately one of the most forgettable tracks on `This Is Hardcore.' The similar lengthy, partially whispered tracks `I Spy' on the previous album and `Wickerman' on the following album also irritate me in parts but at least part of each of those songs are redeemed by more memorable tunes. Indeed some of `Wickerman', when he sings rather than whispers, is up there with the best music Pulp have produced.

When `This Is Hardcore' album first came out I, like many others was a little disappointed after the more immediate `Different Class', but it has since grown on me; not that I think it's actually anywhere near the same `class' as `Different Class', which was an undoubted masterpiece, one of the few albums where every track is pretty strong. No, for me `Hardcore' is rather like `His n Hers' and `We Love Life', a mixture of great and forgettable songs. Amongst the great are the poignant first single `Help The Aged,' the brilliant `Glory Days' one of my very favourite Pulp songs and `Sylvia' one of those numerous Pulp numbers with an uplifting and exhilarating chorus. The opener `The Fear' has also grown on me over the years. However I still can't get on with tracks like the aforementioned `Seductive Barry' or `Party Hard', whilst a number of other songs are also rather forgettable.

What of the bonus tracks on this deluxe version? Well, apart from `Cocaine Socialism' which is actually really `Glory Days' with different lyrics and a different arrangement, there is little that is particularly memorable. Tracks like `Laughing Boy', 'It's A Dirty World' and `You Are The One' are okay without being essential, whilst 'We Are The Boys' and `Can I Have My Balls Back Please?' are fairly awful.

If you have the original album and only play it rarely I would advise you probably stick with it rather than buy this. Obviously dedicated Pulp fans will purchase anyway. Of the three deluxe reissues I would say this is virtually equal with `His n Hers' but both are still a long way behind the masterpiece `Different Class', as not only is that original album better but the bonus tracks are probably stronger too.

Slight irritation about the packaging too, as unlike the other two reissues, the booklet is slightly too large to fit into the slipcase and has to be stored in front of the actual discs. This must be a production error as it makes the slip case redundant and has a tendency to fall out. Nice pics though!

John Fogerty - the Long Road Home: in Concert [DVD] [2006]
John Fogerty - the Long Road Home: in Concert [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ John Fogerty

5.0 out of 5 stars This is everything a concert DVD should be!, 31 Aug. 2006
Despite punk and the subsequent excellent revival of the 90's inspired by Britpop which is still going on to some extent today, I still think the real classic era for rock music was from about 1967 to 1975, particularly the years 69 - 73. Think of how many of 'the greats' made their best work during this period.

Unfortunately many of them weren't filmed much during this era as rock music didn't have the media profile it now has. Therefore if we want visual records of the great rock stars we can either pick up modern dvds of them performing in their 50's and upwards - that's the ones who are still alive of course - where the musicianship, sound and picture quality might be excellent; but somehow a bald Pete Townshend strumming acoustic guitar, a bespectacled Roger Daltrey straining to reach the notes, a wrinkly Keith Richards croaking his way embarrassingly through Hoagy Carmichael or a Mick Jagger virtually parodying himself somehow don't seem the same as seeing them in their hey day at Altamont, Woodstock or the Isle of Wight. As I say the sound and picture quality might be hundreds of times better, but somehow the magic has dissipated.

Alternatively we can take a chance with going for dvds actually compiled from the 'classic' period. The trouble is you never know what you're actually going to get - sound, picture and length wise, when what is often described as 'the ultimate' dvd of a particular artist turns out to be a grainy, murky twenty minute performance or a couple of mimed appearances on TOTP. 'The Best Of Rod Stewart and the Faces' dvd anyone?

I have been looking for a dvd of Creedence Clearwater Revival, one of the true greats of the 'great' era for some time. It's easy to forget that CCR were massive for a brief period around 1969/70, indeed they were I believe the most successful American rock band ever up that time! Can you imagine a simple, but brilliant, rockabilly song like 'Bad Moon Rising' actually getting to number one in the UK charts these days? It's still hard to believe it did so in 1969.

Anyway there are a couple of decidedly dodgy looking CCR dvds around, so I thought I'd forgo them and buy this, after all John Fogerty virtually was CCR anyway.

It had all CCR's classics on, together with some Fogerty solo material, some of which I knew (I have 'Centerfield'), some of which I didn't. I was just concerned that an elderly Fogerty (it was filmed in 2005 when he was over sixty) might be a parody of himself. Although never having seen film of Fogerty in his heyday I didn't know how he performed anyway - although from hearing him I knew it would be passionately.

Well, this dvd is really excellent and I'm glad I bought it rather than risk one of the old CCR dvds, which may or may not be good. It has great sound and excellent picture quality. And, most importantly, decent camera direction, something we don't always get in modern concert dvds where the camera is often all over the place, never still for one second for the viewer to take in anything properly - `Coldplay Live' dvd anyone? Fogerty himself looks and sounds fine. He still has a full head of thick hair and leaps around the stage energetically, evidently enjoying himself immensely, and it's not until the camera goes right up to him that you realise he's a relatively old man. His solo material, whilst generally not up to the standard of his classic CCR hits, is certainly listenable and not out of place. The concert features virtually every classic CCR single and the magnificent album track 'Lodi', indeed the only great CCR song I can think of that isn't included is 'It Came Out Of The Sky' but I suppose we can't have everything.

All in all this is everything a modern concert dvd should be - a classic artist, who still looks good, performing his best material in pristine sound and picture quality. As I say the direction is also excellent, with just the right balance of views of Fogerty himself, his guitar playing, his band, the audience - I do like to see the audience from time to time in concert dvds but not too much at the expense of the performers as we sometimes get - `Ziggy Stardust' dvd anyone?

Heartily recommended if you like to watch and listen to great rock n roll!

Steptoe & Son - Series Five [1970] [DVD]
Steptoe & Son - Series Five [1970] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wilfrid Brambell

3.0 out of 5 stars The shoddiness continues!, 7 Aug. 2006
Like the previous reviewer the first thing that struck me was the dreadful pictures quality. If you didn't know you'd think this came from 1930 rather than 1970. I just can't believe pictures were so bad as late as 1970. The picture at the beginning of each episode which often features outside locations is absolutely appalling. I'm sure if Steptoe wasn't such a classic series they wouldn't be released. Although I was only a kid when the series originally came out I'm sure they weren't that bad when originally broadcast - perhaps the tapes have deteriorated? Even so surely they could have done something to restore them as so many other releases are digitally restored these days. Just as they junked shows back then it seems the BBC / 2 Entertain still have little regard for the BBC's fantastic legacy. Furthermore, I wonder when it was they actually lost the colour versions as I'm sure I can remember them being broadcast many years after they were originally shown. It was when I saw a grainy black and white version on TV of 'Without Prejudice' in the 1980' - an excellent episode from the next series later in 1970 - that I wondered what was going on. So It seems that some, if not all of Series 6 is also going to be released in black and white. This means that of the Steptoes only 2 out of the 8 series will be released in colour, apart from the two excellent Christmas specials. Furthermore, I wonder how they are going to be released? Not on their own I hope, but with series 7 and 8!

And I'm still wondering when and how we're going to get the Dad's Army Xmas specials (it appears they've already missed one).

Anyway what of this series? Well I believe by and large the seventies Steptoes surpassed the sixties episodes - the characters were more developed and the dialogue actually became deeper and more original. It's also easy to forget what a truly great comic actor Harry H Corbett was. He has the timing, intonation and facial expressiveness of Hancock himself.
The opening episode sees the death of the Steptoes' horse, Hercules, and like many of these great scripts straddles the fine line between pathos and comedy extremely well. 'Any Old Iron' would perhaps be seen as politically incorrect these days, but is still a classic; whilst 'A Winter's Tale', despite being a re-write of an episode from Series 1 is marvellous. Galton and Simpson must have loved the holiday theme, as they returned to it again in one of the subsequent Xmas specials. `TB or not TB' (a variation on Hancock's 'The Cold') and `The Colour Problem' (ironic in view of the fact that they lost the colour versions!) are also excellent episodes. If anything the series was to become even stronger in series 6 and 7 before dipping slightly in quality again in the last series.

Power Pop Anthems
Power Pop Anthems
Offered by westworld-

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's 'Shake Some Action'?, 25 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Power Pop Anthems (Audio CD)
I was never really sure what power pop actually was and it seems to me that neither do the compilers as we have a right mixture of styles here. Where Queen or ELO quite fit into the genre is a bit of a mystery, as I would have thought their overwrought, bloated style is a far cry from what most people would regard as early Beatles and Byrds influenced power pop. Perhaps the compilers have extended it to cover acts influenced by the later Beatles?

In the rock encyclopedias power pop is usually described as a style which emerged at the beginning of the seventies influenced by the Beatles, The Who and The Byrds and epitomised by bands such as Badfinger, The Raspberries, Big Star and The Flamin' Groovies. All are present here, apart from the Groovies, which is ironic as they probably were the best exponents of the genre.

I've always thought Big Star somewhat overrated and from their lack of success it seems so did the public. Influenced by the critics who worshipped them, I bought Big Star's compilation, album having read that they sounded like the Beatles, Byrds and the Who, but apart from two fine tracks: '13' and 'September Gurls' I was disappointed with the quality of the rest of their songwriting. 'September Gurls', included here, is probably their best and most famous song. The Raspberries were a similar type of American band from the early 70's; however I always thought they had a greater number of decent songs than Big Star. Once again it's their most fanous song, 'Go All The Way' which is featured here. Whilst the Badfinger song, 'No Matter What', is a great pop song and one I've always loved.

I actually had half the tracks on this compilation before I bought it, and I must admit that only a handful of the songs I didn't already own really did much for me. However, it is nice to have these mainly upbeat, good time tunes in one place, althought it does feel slightly incomplete without the Flamin' Groovies excellent 'Shake Some Action'!

Very Best Of
Very Best Of
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pop group but not essential if you have the other compilatation., 18 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Very Best Of (Audio CD)
I always thought The Lightning Seeds were one of the best pop groups of the 1990's - up there with The Beautiful South. Having had 'Like You Do', their previous best of compilation, for some time now I've often considered investigating their albums. However, unlike The Beautiful South, the album tracks I've heard on the internet seem well below the standard of their singles so I refrained from buying anymore. Apart from 'Like You Do' and 'Jollification', their apparent best album, The Lightning Seeds other albums are actually not that easily available in the shops anymore, but are quite cheap.

Then this new compilation was released and I just had to buy it despite it having thirteen songs which were already on 'Like You Do'. Its 20 tracks, including the now almost obligatory two new ones, compared to the previous album's 16, makes it more comprehensive as Lightning Seeds released one more album, 'Tilt' after the release of 'Like You Do'. To be honest none of the 7 tracks which are on this compilation (including a couple of covers), but aren't on the other, are that memorable. Similarly, I wouldn't really miss the 3 'Like You Do' songs which fail to make this album if I sell the earlier greatest hits. So if you already have 'Like You Do' there isn't a compelling reason for buying this, although there is more music on it. However, if you don't have any Lightning Seeds and enjoy classic, feel good, summery sounding pop songs I heartily recommend this. All the classics such as 'Lucky You', 'The Life Of Riley', 'What You Say,' 'You Showed Me 'Change', 'Sense', 'Perfect', 'Marvellous' and 'Pure' - weren't they good at one word titles? - are on both compilations, as is naturally the wretched football song 'Three Lions'. To be fair this is one of the better football songs, along with New Order's 'World In Motion' - but that's not saying much as nearly all other footie songs are dreck!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11