Profile for Reader1 > Reviews

What Do You Want from Me?: Learning to Get Along with In-Laws
What Do You Want from Me?: Learning to Get Along with In-Laws
by Terri Apter

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight and enlightenment, 11 Aug. 2009
For over ten years I have been puzzled by the tension between my mother and my wife. I have felt like the man caught in the middle of an argument that is being carried on in a strange language. I read Terri Apter's book because I wanted to vet it before deciding who to give it to - my wife or my mother. I quickly realised that "What do you want from me?" is for every member of the family. I now can see things I never saw before, and from two different perspectives. And I think I can now avoid being piggy in the middle, and we can now actually talk about what's going on, without being torn apart.

Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace
by Ayelet Waldman

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 5 Aug. 2009
This is sometimes funny, but too idiosyncratic to have the breadth that it lays claim to. We may need to understand why we so often fail to live up to the ideal of mother and woman, but being cute about our shortcomings can just be silly. I am a fan of Waldman's other books; this was a disappointment.