Profile for sardoc > Reviews

Content by sardoc

sardoc

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Asics Women's Gel Cumulus 14 G-tx W Dark Charcoal/Malibu/Orchid Trainer T2A5N 9861 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit tight but good buy, 3 Oct. 2014
I have put these to the test during a theme park holiday with a toddler and while they feel a bit tight they do provide plenty of support for my feet and stopped the usual aches I get after several days on my feet. Very happy with them.

Dangerous Reflections (The Adventures of Alexis Davenport Book 1)
Dangerous Reflections (The Adventures of Alexis Davenport Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for teenagers, 8 July 2014
You'll remember me mentioning earlier that Dangerous Reflections by Shay West was released. Well I have had the chance to read and review it and I am really glad. I'll admit I started this book not sure what to expect but it reminded me of the sort of book I enjoyed when I was a teenager so I was willing to give it a go.

Alexis is a typical teenager who she finds herself caught up with the strange girls only she can see reflected in mirrors; unexpectedly uprooted from her time and placed in the life and body of these girls. Her natural uncanny ability for history and historical facts comes in very useful so that she can try to work out where, when and why she is there. I liked this historical element being a huge historical fiction fan, and particularly liked that it was fairly obscure time and people. My curiosity often got the better of me after reading each encounter and I did a fair bit of wikipedia-ing during this book to find out more.

But Alexis is also very real for her age, she is bratty with her mum and quite selfish at times although deep down she knows it. She hasn't kissed a boy and misses her old friends. She has a crush and is picked on at her new school despite making friends. All of this made Alexis realistic to me, angst and all, and while some might find her a bit immature I was personally cheering in my head that she seemed to actually be the age she is supposed to be. All too often characters in books act older than their age which is a shame as teenagers need characters they can relate too, and Alexis is this, or at least she would have been for me when I was in my early teens. The events of the book see Alexis grow and she is given the opportunity to discover what her own strengths are, and she applies both in her adventures and also in her life.

This is the first in a series so does end with some mysteries outstanding but it also reads well on it's own, I actually made myself late for work as I had to read the last few chapters to see what happened and couldn't wait till my lunch break!

This is a great read that would happily recommend to my younger self or any young teens looking for something a bit different from the other books out there just now. I look forward to reading the next Alexis Davenport adventure!

Witchfall (Tudor Witch 2)
Witchfall (Tudor Witch 2)
by Victoria Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely recommend this!, 4 Mar. 2014
This novel follows Megan as she accompanies Princess Elizabeth to court in London. Summoned by Queen Mary who is reportedly due to give birth at any time, Elizabeth finds herself even more of a prisoner than she was at Woodstock. But it isn't just events at court that are dangerous for them. The Inquisition suspects everyone and it's only a matter of time before they investigate Elizabeth's household.

I started this almost as soon as I had finished Witchstruck which I had loved! Meg is a great character and as I said in my review of Witchstruck I loved the concept of magic at the Tudor court.

Meg is in even more danger in this novel. The inquisition has her in their sights and at Elizabeth's command she carries out magical 'experiements' to try and talk to Anne Boleyn right under the nose of Mary and the court. Plus her foe Marcus Dent might be back and out to get her. I often had the "just one more chapter" syndrome at night while reading this as I had to find out what happened next.

I enjoyed this second installment almost as much as I enjoyed the first. There is more love now that Alejandro and Meg have moved on a step in their relationship. There is more magic with Meg pushing her powers even further. John Dee and his assistant Richard also play more of a role in this novel with Dee almost becoming a new mentor to Meg. We also find out more about Marcus Dent and his past.

I definitely loved it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, I can't wait for the last book in the series.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars The Husband's Secret, 26 Jan. 2014
Before I had finished the first chapter in this book I knew I was going to enjoy it. The way that Liane Moriarty writes is extremely accessible.

Focusing on three women with a tie to one community this is like Desperate Housewives. For me this is a good thing. There is Cecilia who has a perfect life which is about to be completely rocked by the contents of a letter from her husband that she was never meant to get. Rachel is nearing retirement but has never gotten over the death of her daughter in the 80s. Tess' husband has just dropped a bombshell on her which sends her running to her mum's, and her past.

This book is also set in Australia which is a refreshing change. I can't recall reading a book set in everyday Australia before. While it could really be set anywhere as Australia impacts very little on the actual plot it is nice to read something set somewhere other than the US or UK where the characters aren't there as a plot device.

I really enjoyed this book and while the secrets were a bit obvious this was less about uncovering the secrets and more about the personal journey that each women took. This is a book which has stuck with me in the weeks since I have read it, I'd definitely recommend it and another author I'd look out for again.

The Boleyn Deceit (Anne Boleyn Trilogy Book 2)
The Boleyn Deceit (Anne Boleyn Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boleyn Deceit, 26 Jan. 2014
I read this first book in this series, The Boleyn King, over the summer and was looking forward to the next one. It is an alternative history series based on the premise that Anne Boleyn did not miscarry the son she was carrying shortly before everything fell apart for her and he lived to succeed Henry VIII to the throne.

The first book established the characters and their relationships, and The Boleyn Deceit builds on this. Minuette is caught in the middle of William and Dominic and a lot of the novel concentrates on this. Elizabeth is still enamored by Robert Dudley but is he the steadfast loyal subject we know?

The political and religious tension is palpable in this book as without the events of Queen Mary's reign the Catholics are still out in the cold as William runs a largely Protestant kingdom in his father's wake. This is having several effects on the Kingdom with Catholics starting to get burned at the stake in an eerie echo of our timeline.

The love triangle didn't quite mesh with me, it really felt like Minuette was stringing them both along even though she is meant to love Dominic. I did feel for Dominic though, you could feel his pain and internal struggles at having fallen for his best friend's girl. I liked that they were both aware of what effect their actions would have, if they took any, on the country as a whole. I felt you also got to know William a bit better as he had some scenes without Dominic or Minuette.

Either way, the best bit about this series is that I have no idea what is going to happen next! I can't wait to find out. I also hope this isn't the only alternative history we get to explore as this is a refreshing approach to historical fiction that I am really enjoying.

Whistling Past the Graveyard
Whistling Past the Graveyard

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 25 Aug. 2013
This was a lovely novel. I don't usually read books set in the 20th century which have a historical nature and the word roadtrip is usually enough to deter me from a book so I can't say what it was about this one that caught my eye. I'm glad I read it though.
The main character is Starla who embarks on an unlikely and dangerous road trip after running away from home. Accompanied by Eula we are shown just how bad life could be for "coloured" in 60s America.
The story is narrated by Starla throughout with a Mississippi twang and I think it was this that took me a while to get used to. But I did, and once I did I got very attached to the characters. A red head she is quick to temper and speak her mind and this leads to some cringe-worthy situations and you really wish you could stop her. Usefully she also has an opinion on everything which makes her view of the world very interesting.
Through her eyes we see her naivety of what life is like, how society works and her lack of comprehension at what segregation actually meant. As she meets new people and has new experiences you really get a feel for what life was like at that time. I have to confess some of what was mentioned in the book was news to me and I'm glad things have changed. Using a young narrator works well as if it were an adult you'd probably be annoyed at them for not realising what was going on around them.
The meaning of family is also core to this novel's story as this was Starla's reason for running away and motivates Eula to take the action she does. Without ruining the plot you do feel for Starla and Eula and you will be rooting for them by the end.
As I said this is a lovely book set in a difficult time and once I got into it I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Diono Stuff 'n Scuff Car Seat Back Protector (Black)
Diono Stuff 'n Scuff Car Seat Back Protector (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 22 July 2013
Does what it is supposed to now my wee one's legs are getting longer, the pockets are handy too for popping his toys/juice in

Star Trek (PS3)
Star Trek (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Star Trek (PS3) (Video Game)
This is a good enough game, it's not amazing but gets an extra star for being star trek, my hubby certainly loves it.

Mega Bloks Build and Learn to Count Bag
Mega Bloks Build and Learn to Count Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, just wish the stickers came already on them, 22 July 2013
These are a nice addition to the megablocks table we already bought and they provide a bit more variety but I wish we didn't have to put the stickers on ourselves. Minor complaint though!

Nuby Splash-n-Catch Bathtime Fishing Set
Nuby Splash-n-Catch Bathtime Fishing Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 22 July 2013
My son loves this, we're using it in the bath just now but it would also be a good outdoor toy in a paddling pool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5