Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (South Wales)

Xenofit Drinks Belt With 750ml Water Bottle
Xenofit Drinks Belt With 750ml Water Bottle
Price: 20.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of Kit!, 29 Jan 2014
I've been using this for all my runs, both long & short
and it's comfy with good adjustment and very little bounce

It will take about 4 gels or 3 gels and a 9bar in the one pocket
Then keys (on the internal clip), ID & emergency TP(bagged) in the other pocket.

You could probably just about fit an emergency foil blanket in there if you wanted
but TBH if that's how you roll, then look to buy a running vest with bigger pockets

The bottle is easy to use, no stiffness on the 'nipple' and pretty flexible too
So there's no problem squeezing the water out as opposed to slurping

All told a good purchase and will keep me going until I get around to getting a running vest..

Talisman Prologue HD
Talisman Prologue HD
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the full version to arrive.., 22 May 2013
This review is from: Talisman Prologue HD (App)
I had already bought it for the PC after waiting what seemed like forever for someone to sort out the IP wrangles with GW!
When it was finally available on the Amazon store I was ecstatic as I can now install it on my Kindle Fire & the old HTC Desire S too
Classic adventure, very true to the source and if the prologue is anything to go by the full version will be awesome when it's finally released later this year, can't wait!

Instant Penetration Testing: Setting Up a Test Lab How-to
Instant Penetration Testing: Setting Up a Test Lab How-to
by Vyacheslav Fadyushin
Price: 12.22

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starting Point for Pentest Beginners, 30 April 2013
This is the kind of book I wish had been available when I started my own PenTest studies.
As the second book I've reviewed for Packt, again I can find no major faults.

It's written in a very friendly and easy style, not too much technical jargon or waffle and is aimed at the beginner.
As other reviewers have said if you have skills beyond that level you may be dissapointed with the content.

On the whole though I found it to be a good read and although I feel that I knew most of the content,
I discovered one or two new bits of information in the 'Online Lab Portals' section towards the end of the book.

My only complaint would be that it ends very abruptly with no summarisation of what you have read and learnt,
but that is only a minor gripe as although it may be small it is a good starting point in your PenTest journey.

Greed Corp
Greed Corp
Price: 0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars YAY!, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Greed Corp (App)
I love this game and first played on the PC via Steam
Really please that it's been ported to android and even more so that it works so well on the Kindle Fire.

The gameplay is still the same and works as well as; if not better than, on the PC
Not had chance to test the PvP as there don't seem to be all that many people with it on their tablets

C'mon peeps it's only 62p on the Amazon Apps store
And my Freemen won't remain free if you don't start playing!!!

Metasploit Penetration Testing Cookbook
Metasploit Penetration Testing Cookbook
by Abhinav Singh
Price: 30.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Penetration Testing, Cookbook Style, 31 Oct 2012
I have worked in IT for the last decade or so and I'd class myself more as an enthusiastic amatuer in the hacking & pen testing field than a pro. As such I'm always looking out for new ways to learn more and be the better white hat.

I've read a lot of the other pen test books out there, most recently Packts "Advanced Penetration Testing for Highly-Secured Environments: The Ultimate Security Guide" and after trying the labs I wanted more. To say I was pleasantly surprised to find Packt had another Pen Test author; Abhinav Singh, up their sleeves was an understatement :)

I'll be honest, I was a little unsure whether the cookbook format would be a good way to learn Pen testing for me, but the book is so well written that I found myself flying through the chapters. I also bought it direct from Packt and so I had it in both kindle and pdf formats which meant I could read it whenever and wherever I wanted.

As per normal it follows the standard pen test book chapter setup of intro, machine setup, recce, exploitation etc. but it covers them in a bit more depth and has a wealth of good screen shots to help guide you through each 'recipe'. I particularly like the fact that both Armitage and SET have chapters of their own and although Armitage has a reputation of Hacking for Dummies, I find it's a very useful tool and Singh covers it well enough without it being an entire book of it's own - now theres an idea..

It's a good book and will find itself staying on my 'book shelf' as a reference, especially as both the code and examples can be downloaded from Packts website for future use and testing.

Advanced Penetration Testing for Highly-Secured Environments: The Ultimate Security Guide (Open Source: Community Experience Distilled)
by Lee Allen
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Penetration Testing for n00bs?, 28 Sep 2012
I am by no means an experienced hacker or pen tester; but having worked in IT for the last decade or so I'd class myself as an enthusiastic learner (with more enthusiasm than knowledge at times), not quite a n00b but no where near pro level.

So with that in mind I was a little unsure if this book would be for me - Advanced Penetration Testing, I still feel I'm on the first level in the pen test game.

I've read some of the other pen test books out there; Syngress' "The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy (Syngress Basics Series)", Packts' awesome "BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide" and No Starch Press' "Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide" to mention the better ones, I've played with Backtrack3 onwards and other bits of security kit but I'd never felt too confident about my abilities - recently demonstrated during @CyberChallenge 's 2012 #CyberCamp in September when I had my ass handed to me by others who were!

Opening the book and reading through the contents though I began to feel more comfortable. It follows the 'pen test book standards' of, an introduction to pentesting, setting up your machine, scoping, reconnaissance, enumeration, exploitation etc. that I'd found in other books and was easy enough to understand and follow for a total beginner as well as someone like me with more technical experience.

As mentioned in other reviews on Amazon it covers the basics really well; but here comes the good part, it does it in a way that makes it seem fresh and new. Other pen test tomes can sometimes come across as dry, emulating a souped up MAN page for the various tools and bits of kit you end up using, but I found the book felt like a friendly voice re-explaining some of the stuff I already knew but had forgotten.

It earns its Advanced tag by going further than other pen test books, covering the more advanced options for the basic stuff and also bringing the more advanced tools into sharper focus. It starts with the whys and wherefores for a pentest, looks at the various methodologies for doing one (without getting caught) and then looks at post exploitation in depth.

Some of the tools it covers include the Dradia Framework (useful for both data collection and the reporting stage), Metagoofil, Nmap (basic scans and more advance stuff), Metasploit (msfupdate every time you start it up), Mantra (which was a new one for me, doh!) and of course Backtrack itself. It then covers off the reporting side of a pentest to give you enough of an idea to get it done in a way that the customer can understand - don't underestimate the use of pretty graphs or screenshots for this..

All in all its an excellent read and one I'm sure I'll come back to in the future, mainly as its final two chapters cover the setting up your virtual lab to run a pentest using the knowledge gained from the book.