Profile for Beverley Jeal > Reviews

Content by Beverley Jeal

Beverley Jeal (Maidstone, Kent)

Tefal Ultra Compact VC100615 3 Tier Steamer, Chrome
Tefal Ultra Compact VC100615 3 Tier Steamer, Chrome

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Food!, 31 Aug 2007
This was my 1st steamer, bought 18 months ago, this model probably has a different model number but for the purpose of this review, its pretty much the same. It has revolutionised my ideas of veg! They are now packed with flavour and beautifully cooked. The leaflet included gives times for popular veggies and the timings are spot on. Fish is moist, rice fluffy, potatoes perfect. Also, it's great if your timings of meals isn't great (mine's hit and miss) - you can always steam to time, switch it off then give it a blast of steam for a couple of minutes before serving without the food stewing to a pulp.

The only reason I haven't given this a 5 star rating is the cost of replacement parts. My steamer has had plenty of use but after about a year, the handle on the lid came off, next one of the 'tabs' on the shelves vanished, now the bottom basket is quite cracked and lets some steam out. To replace these 3 parts will cost approx. 30! Cheaper to send the old one to landfill and buy a new one which is a shame.

This said, the steamer is easy to use, easy to clean and VERY easy to store so I will definitely be buying a new one soon (and putting the old one in the loft for spares).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2010 10:44 PM GMT

New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker
New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker
by Annette Yates
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world!, 10 Nov 2005
After much badgering by my friend, I recently gave in and purchased my first slow cooker. I started using it for the usual beef stew, chicken casserole etc but wanted more variety.
I trawled bookshops for a recipe book and stumbled on this one. Being a novice, the first section ‘General Hints & Tips’ was very useful. What further convinced me to buy it was that most of the ingredients are either what you would already have in the cupboard or are readily available in the supermarket. Also, the measurements are given in metric, imperial as well as American (cups etc) so no need to convert. The instructions are clear and simple – very easy to follow.
There are some great traditional recipes such as French Onion Soup, Somerset Bacon Hotpot, Beef in Brown Ale, Cock au Vin etc, and some really tasty new ideas (for me anyway) - Chicken & Tarragon (delicious), Mexican Chicken, Malay Spiced Pork….
Also, it has been a real eye opener as to what you can use your slow cooker for – it would never have occurred to me to use it for: whole joints, fish, paella, curry, pate, crème caramel, sponges (can’t wait to try the Rhubarb and Almond Sponge and the Pineapple Upside-down Sponge).
My friend (the slow cooker expert) has also fallen in love with this book, so it’s not just for us beginners. I have many cook books which I only use for two or three recipes but I this one has so many that I want to try, it’s not going to sit on the shelf and gather dust.