Profile for Donna Bright > Reviews

Content by Donna Bright

Donna Bright "Donna Louise" (Walsall,England)

Page: 1 | 2
Balancing Act
Balancing Act
by Joanna Trollope

2.0 out of 5 stars CRACKED CHINA, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Balancing Act (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of Joanna and have read all her books but this was a disappointment.
I feel she has lost her brilliant mojo.Compared to past masterpieces this is a pale imitation.
The characters were all instantly dislikeable and I really thought where is the story in this?
With no empathy for the main lady and her equally pathetic Daughters I found myself hoping they would all meet a sorry end.
The one character Jeff who was the supposed 'bad egg' I actually felt sorry for .
Please Joanna go back to what you do best , great characters and a story with a plot that I care about.

A Trick I Learned from Dead Men
A Trick I Learned from Dead Men
by Kitty Aldridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Life , Death and Floristy, 10 Jan. 2013
What a great book - I heard Mariella Frostup recommend it so read it on her say so.
Im so glad I did - one of the most original novels I have read in a long time.
Poignant, funny, and oh so true this short book is filled with wisdom that takes a lifetime to accrue.
It is true that the dead do indeed teach us a lot and the taboo's still in evidence in this country should be eradicated after reading this warm heartfelt novel.
I loved the narrators unique voice and really felt like I was a part of Shakespeare's in all its morbid glory.
Cant recommend this enough - wise, witty and warm - a must read.

Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy)
Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful historical saga, 2 Nov. 2012
Having read the first part of the trilogy I was eagerly anticipating the next instalment - and I wasnt disappointed.
Follet covers the grand panaramic historical scene with the deft touch of a master novelist. He involves you in the key historical moments by allowing his vast cast of characters to eavesdrop/be involved in these moments.
From the 1933 opening to the end of the War and the setting up of the United Nations the reader is swept away on a personal saga that includes all of human emotion. His historical research is detailed and you feel in the hands of a master.

I felt so sad to finish the book and cant wait for the final part.

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing Novel, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I adored Jojo's previous novel, 'Last letter from your lover' and on that basis started this book. I think she has even surpassed herself, this is one of the most amazing and surprising novels I have read in a long time.
The characters stay with you long after the book is finished and you find yourself asking 'what would I do?' so many times throughout the story.
Realistic and honest characters make the book , no pandering to cliches and romantic tones. You take Lou's joureny with her and I defy anyone to not be in tears at the end and reevaluate their own life.
I was at a crossroads in my life and after reading this book I made a decision - thats how powerful this novel is.
Jojo you are a remarkable writer and I look eagerly foward to your next book.

The Decision
The Decision

4.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasure, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Decision (Kindle Edition)
Vincenzi's best since The Spoils of Time Series.
It kept me gripped and involved throughout.
The lesser characters such as Heather and Scarlett I found far more likeable than the two main protagnists who I didnt really like very much.
However the attention to detail of the fashion scene and changes to Post War London I found superb.
If you want to lose yourself in a good blockbuster for a few weeks then this is the one for you.

The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
by Sue Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny,fiesty and thought provoking, 26 Mar. 2012
Best Book I have read in a long time - didnt want it to end.
The amount of times I laughed out loud, had to stop reading it in public.
Wonderful comic moments - Townsend back to her absolute best.
The laugh out moments brilliantly contrast with the thought provoking ones that make the Book so much more than just comedy.
A perfect read, I was very sad to finish it.
Cant recommend it enough - the must buy of the Year.

King of the Badgers
King of the Badgers
by Philip Hensher

4.0 out of 5 stars Middle England meets Big Brother, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: King of the Badgers (Hardcover)
I loved the Northern Clemency so eagerly waited for this Book.
Dont rate it as highly as his previous work but it still has moments of outstanding literary merit.
The detailed description of the Town is perfect and at times I really did feel like the proverbial fly on the wall. The range of characters is amazing and some of them I wanted to know a lot more about .
At times this book shocked me with such power that I had to literally stop reading and think about what he had written. The shortest section is so powerful and well written about such an awful situation it is a masterclass in literary genius.
My only criticism is I wanted a longer Book because wanted to know more about what happened after certain situations and how these Characters coped.
Hensher is a great writer and I hope he continues to produce such thoughtful work - we need his voice - he reminds me of Dickens as such an important social chronicler

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Lady Wulfruna - Take a bow., 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
As a fellow inhabitant of the Authors Home Town I loved this Book.
It encapsulates perfectly the era she writes about - whether its her School days,Employment or Motherhood.
At last someone honest about Marriage , Childbirth and trying to be a 21st Century Woman.
I laughed out loud till my sides hurt, but at other times I stopped to really reflect on what she had written .
Clever, witty,poignant with a great heart at the centre of it all - I gave it to my Daughter to read straight after me and will be buying plenty of copies for my female friends - Lady Wulfruna you have written a great, wise and very funny book.

The Summer without Men
The Summer without Men
by Siri Hustvedt

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar and Spice ...but not all girls are nice....., 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Summer without Men (Paperback)
I loved the title of the Book and for that reason I bought it - a good decision!
The story is a simple one but with many complex layers and characters. I loved all the different Women from the elderly ladies to the young girls who all prove that the fairer sex is indeed far more than sugar and spice.

A short read but one crammed with wise insights for all ages and it really makes yu think about your life. I highly recommend it as a great read.

Eleven
Eleven
by Mark Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Eleven Plus, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Eleven (Paperback)
I must admit had no idea who Mark Watson was before I read this Book, I know now that he is a very talented Author.I bought the book because I liked the concept of everyone being connected and events linking in and this idea serves the novel very well.
The main character is likeable because of his flaws and is not your regular Mr Good/Bad Guy as the main protagonist. The interlinking stories work really well and I couldnt put the book down because I cared so much about the characters.
A warm but realistic story with great heart. I would recommend this Book as an insightful, well written and ultimately very enjoyable read.

Page: 1 | 2