Profile for Linda Darnell > Reviews

Content by Linda Darnell

Linda Darnell (Devon, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars SO DIFFERENT, BUT SO BEAUTIFUL!!, 15 May 2015
Don't expect The Four seasons as we know it here. But this wonderful version of it recomposed by Max Richter is simply breathtakingly beautiful,
and Daniel Hope plays it perfection. Like so many others, I know this Vivaldi piece so well and have several in my collection, but I am always
keen to hear another take on a well known piece, whether it be written for a different instrument, or as in this case completely recomposed.
From the moment I first heard this CD I found, and still find it compelling listening. The accompanying notes, although not long, do give a fascinating
insight into the mind of a modern composer.

Avery DTR Bin with removable rim - Black
Avery DTR Bin with removable rim - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Nov. 2014
I've found the perfect bin!! Good size for office, but very neat and slim.

Rexel OfficeMaster CC175 Paper Shredder Cross Cut with Additional Bag Fastener
Rexel OfficeMaster CC175 Paper Shredder Cross Cut with Additional Bag Fastener

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 years is a good life for the use it gets by me, 3 Oct. 2014
I bought my first one of this model over 5 years ago, and it has proved a real workhorse. I work from home and so it gets used for business and personal every single day. I had no hesitation in replacing the old one with another the same. 5 years is a good life for the use it gets by me. I highly recommend this model, and indeed Rexel shredders in general.

Wellgate Slimfit Ankle Support
Wellgate Slimfit Ankle Support

3.0 out of 5 stars It proved to be of no use to my week and painful ankle at all, 3 Oct. 2014
I found that because this support is so slim, it means that you loose the necessary strength that gives the needed support.
It proved to be of no use to my week and painful ankle at all. I bought a stronger one at my chemist which did the job 100%.

High Grade 9 Litre White Rectangle Plastic Washing Up Bowl
High Grade 9 Litre White Rectangle Plastic Washing Up Bowl
Offered by east2eden

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality great, but colour not suitable.., 28 Aug. 2014
Excellent quality bowl, but the colour is not just white, it's ice white. This, when put in a white ceramic sink, becomes a light blue.
The price makes it not worth the bother of returning it, and I'm sure I can find a use for it.
If you want an ice white colour though, this is the bowl for you!

Bryars: The Sinking of the Titanic: Jesus's Blood Never Failed Me Yet
Bryars: The Sinking of the Titanic: Jesus's Blood Never Failed Me Yet

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Minutes= Wonderful, but 25 Minutes= I almost lost the will to live!!, 12 April 2014
I bought this CD because I had heard Jesus' Blood several times over the years on the radio, and always loved it. But I had never heard it played for longer than a few minutes, So, I assumed that more would be better. Not for me it wasn't. After about ten minutes
I was looking at my watch and asking myself if I could stick it out to the end.. The same few words, though hauntingly beautiful, and the same few cords. I did listen to it all, but wish that I hadn't, because it has (temporarily I hope), spoiled how I felt about this unusual piece.
As for the Sinking of the Titanic. Well, I found it a general mish- mash of sound without substance, which was lost on me. My loss perhaps!

Russian Treasures
Russian Treasures

5.0 out of 5 stars SUBLIME!!!, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Russian Treasures (Audio CD)
I am not one to go into long winded and technical explanations as to why I do or do not like a specific CD, but I will simply say that regarding this one, although I am not a person of faith, listening to the glorious a cappella performance of Russian liturgical music sung by the wonderful Tenebrae, I feel my whole being, lifted from the stress of a busy day.
For me, the whole CD is achingly beautiful.....
The CD Booklet is excellent too, in that it gives the words to each piece, both in Russian and English.

R Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie [An Alpine Symphony]
R Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie [An Alpine Symphony]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!, 27 Jan. 2014
I have several recordings of this piece, and yet have only just discovered this version. Goodness, what I have been missing! It's absolutely wonderful. Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic have captured what Strauss was trying to convey when he composed this Symphony.
I can't believe that anyone who has experienced the absolute magic of a sunrise, could fail to be moved when they listen to movements 1) Night, 2) Sunrise, 3) The ascent. I have never heard it played like this, and I have been fortunate enough to hear it played live twice as well..
I would heartily recommend this recording. It was written for a big Orchestra, and the Berlin Phil certainly do Strauss proud...!

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT RECORDING., 27 Jan. 2014
I have now bought all of the Shostakovitch Symphonies recorded by the Royal Philharmonic with Vasily Petrenko.
Being totally in love with Shostakovitch's music, and having more recordings than I care to admit to, I rarely buy a CD of his work recorded by someone young. My reasoning is that someone has to have experienced life, to play/conduct this particular composer's work. I don't much care for most of Petrenko's Shostakovitch interpretations. However, I definitely make an exception for the Symphony 8. Overall It really is excellent.
The Symphony is played with tenderness where required, and with great gusto, yet at the same time clarity, (not always achieved by the greatest of Conductor's) where called for.
I would recommend anyone to listen to this performance, and come to your own conclusions. But for me, it's a winner...

Get Some Headspace
Get Some Headspace
by Andy Puddicombe

2.0 out of 5 stars IS IT JUST ME???, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Get Some Headspace (Paperback)
I have now read this book cover to cover, with great difficulty, as I was so bored by it. It purports to be a book about teaching Mindfulness, but most of it is a straight forward autobiography. Which although interesting, is not what I thought I was buying. I have learned absolutely nothing from this book, and am cross with myself for going against my own judgement of giving up on a book of this type if it is not teaching me something. The book is over 200 pages long, but one has to get to page 90 before there is anything resembling instruction. Even then it is still really Andy Puddicombe relating his experience as a Monk..
There are so many positive reviews of this book, and that's why I bought it, but for me, there are better books out there.....

Since leaving this review, I have found an amazing book on Mindfulness here on Amazon. It's called "Full Catastrophe Living" how to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation, by Jon Kabat-Zin. A friend loaned me her copy, but I am so interested by it, that I wanted my own. It's a big book, but very easy to read, and in layman's language. AND the exercises are at the beginning!! I highly recommend it......
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2015 4:47 PM GMT