Profile for S. Atkinson > Reviews

Doctor Who Wind-Up Dalek
Doctor Who Wind-Up Dalek
Offered by Otherland

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor quality, 28 April 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Doctor Who Wind-Up Dalek (Toy)
This item is really poor quality. A couple of pieces broke when we removed it from the packaging and the wind-up mechanism broke after one use. It is very light and flimsy. Not impressed at all!

K'Nex Xtreme Ops Fireforce Rebels 71653
K'Nex Xtreme Ops Fireforce Rebels 71653
Offered by Harry's Department Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 6 Oct 2012
My little boy bought one of these with his birthday money and we were very disappointed to find that several pieces were missing. What's more, the pieces that were present did not stick together properly and kept falling apart. It is going back to the shop.

New Solutions - Complete Balance - Oil Free Foaming Cleanser 150ml
New Solutions - Complete Balance - Oil Free Foaming Cleanser 150ml

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad allergic reaction, sore skin and swollen eyes, 16 May 2012
I don't have sensitive skin and have never reacted to a product before. I have also used other products from the Solutions line with no problem whatsoever. However, within 3 applications of this product my face was covered in a sore red rash and my eyes were swollen and puffy. I have been prescribed antihistamines to treat it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable, 12 April 2012
I really struggle to find shoes that I can wear without socks, as most tend to be very uncomfortable and give me blisters. These flats are amazing. They are so soft, with a very well-cushioned sole, and are probably the most comfortable flats I have tried. They look good too and the leather is of a lovely quality. I am very pleased with my purchase!

The Distant Hours
The Distant Hours
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars A great escapist read, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Distant Hours (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and must admit I am quite surprised to read all the poor reviews. I found it to be a real escapist read and enjoyed the way the truth was revealed in slow stages, with a good few twists along the way. It's not a very plausible story, but then again I don't think that's really the point.
While it's not a literary masterpiece, I would still rate it 5 stars simply for being a really good story and one that I couldn't put down at the end!

Gennaro's Italian Home Cooking: Quick and Simple Meals to Feed Family and Friends
by Gennaro Contaldo

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Italian cooking, 14 Jun 2011
This is one of the best Italian cookery books I have ever read. I lived in Campania for several years and was thrilled to discover a book that featured many of my favourite recipes from the area. It's hard to find an Italian cookery book with such authentic recipes, which have not been adapted in some way for the UK.

It's true that the recipes are written for a large number of people, but this is clearly explained in the description and it's not exactly difficult to divide the amounts by 2, or 4, etc. to make smaller quantities.

Gomorrah [DVD] [2008] 2 disc set
Gomorrah [DVD] [2008] 2 disc set
Dvd ~ Gianfelice Imparato
Offered by Digizoneuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and true to life, 22 Feb 2011
Having lived in the Naples area for several years, I was very interested to see this film. I read the book a while ago and found it to be fascinating, so wanted to see if the film lived up to this. I don't usually like gangster films at all, so I wasn't sure what I would make of it.
I have to say that I loved it. It wasn't an "enjoyable" film to watch, but I found it so realistic and true to life. The situation really is like that in parts of Naples (other parts are lovely). I liked the fact that it didn't attempt to glamorise life in the Camorra or create a far-fetched plot. It almost felt more like a documentary or reality TV.
I don't think this is a film that is going to appeal to everyone, as it is probably hard to follow if you don't already have a good knowledge of the area and its problems. However, for those who already have an interest in Naples and the Camorra it is a must!
The acting is excellent and I really sympathised with some of the characters, such as Roberto.
Having read some of the other reviews, I should add that I speak fluent Italian and understand Neapolitan pretty well, so I think that helped. The subtitles weren't great, but fortunately I was able to overlook them.

Melissa & Doug Bug-Catching Magnetic Puzzle Game
Melissa & Doug Bug-Catching Magnetic Puzzle Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, well made, fun, 3 Nov 2010
I bought this for my 3-year-old's birthday and he loves it. The colours are very vibrant and it is very well made. He really enjoys catching the bugs and it is nice to see him play with something other than cars and trains. His 18-month-old little brother likes it too, although he can't put the pieces back in yet.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

2.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, but also disappointing, 23 Aug 2010
This was our book club read for August. I wasn't sure whether I would like this book, as it's not the sort of thing I usually read at all (I'm more of a Jane Austen sort of girl). However, it proved to be a real page turner, especially once I got about midway through the book - I'm not saying I liked it, but I did want to find out what happened.

I'll start with the negative points. I found some of the subject matter very disturbing and I felt the author went into unnecessary degrees of detail about acts of sexual violence and depravity. Also, the image of the girl having her head burned in the fire was a horrible thought which stayed in my mind. Personally I think the book would have been better leaving a bit more to the imagination, as a lot of it seemed overly grotesque and quite voyeuristic.

I didn't find the characters especially plausible and didn't think he developed them enough, but I think that is probably typical of this genre. I wanted to sympathise with Lisbeth, but we just weren't given enough information about her or why she turned out to be the way she was. Every single time the characters had a decision to make, they inevitably made the wrong decision (confronting the killer alone in the dark, not going to the police in the case of Lisbeth's guardian, etc.), which I found quite irritating and unconvincing although it was sometimes necessary to the plot.

As a translator myself, I was interested as to how it would read in English. I don't speak Swedish, so I obviously can't compare it to the original, but overall I thought the translation was quite good as it flowed smoothly in English, with only the occasional hint that it was a translation.

I thought some of the twists in the plot and the way the author followed up leads were good and quite cleverly planned, although other things were fairly easy to guess. The subplot seemed a bit pointless and too much time was dedicated to it.

Overall, I would say it is a pageturner and was compelling enough for me to want to find out what happened, but the style of writing and the content weren't the best. It was particularly let down by the characters (lack of character development) and the excessive descriptions of sexual violence, which I felt were unnecessary but which the author seemed to relish! I do wonder if it would have been such a big seller if he hadn't died so young and so suddenly.

It's a compelling easy read, but there's not much depth to it, I didn't like the gratuitous violence and it doesn't make me want to go out and read more of his books.

Spanish-English English-Spanish Medical Dictionary: Diccionario Medico Espanol-Ingles Ingles-Espanol
by Onyria Herrera McElroy

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic. Not for the professional translator., 16 Feb 2010
I am a professional translator and bought this dictionary in the hope it would be of some use to me. I was very disappointed, as it is very basic and does not really contain much that is not in my standard Spanish-English dictionary. It is certainly of no great help when translating complex medical documents.