Profile for Jill in East Kent > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe 3.5 stars?, 20 May 2014
Strange book. Most of us in our book group have now read this one and each time someone talks about it it's as if they are talking about a different book! Everyone seems to pick up on something different in the book. Generally it's liked.

I thought there were some lovely descriptions. Some interesting details about Japanese gardens, archery and tattoos.

I must admit though that I struggled with it. It wasn't a book to pull me into the story and it didn't have me rushing home from work anxious to know what happened next. The last quarter or so was the most gripping so I am glad I persevered to the end.

I could not like the main character at all. I couldn't understand her as I kept thinking she was a man. Reading it on the Kindle did not give me a picture of the author and I don't think I'd realised it was written by a man until I'd got through the first couple of chapters. Once I'd googled the writer it made sense. But I don't think he can write from inside a woman's mind can he?

I think I preferred Magnus and Emily ...

Overallm not a bad read but not one I will read again.

Burning Bright
Burning Bright

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it's five stars from me!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
Lovely book. Loved the characters. Loved the places, the job descriptions - the buttons, the chairs, the circus. A book to lose yourself in. Joyous!

I particularly liked the setting. I'm doing my family history and one bunch of my ancestors live a street away from Astley's Amphitheatre so reading about that part of London at that time made this book especially interesting for me.

Falling Angels
Falling Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious read, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Falling Angels (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and found it completely engrossing. I loved the characters - from the sensible intelligent Maude and the vain silly Lavinia through to Mother Coleman and Simon's dad the gravedigger. Great bunch of people and you feel that they are people and not made up characters. When I finished the book I was rather sad as I wanted to know what happened next.

Tracy Chevalier has a gift and I can't help but give this 5 stars. I totally recommend it.

The Marriage Certificate
The Marriage Certificate

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this one, 20 May 2014
I read this when away on hols so it only took me a couple of days. I liked both the "then" story and the "now" story and thought the tension in each was very good.

If you're doing your family history and/or enjoy watching Heir Hunter and like a good mystery then this is a good book for you.

Yes there were a couple of errors - genealogical kind - and I spotted one or two typos but they didn't put me off.

Will look out for more by this author.

Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season Book 6)
Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Final one in the series, 11 May 2014
Last book in the series and ends the whole thing nicely. Good fun. We finally find out if the servants live their dream and buy that pub!

The Adventuress (A House for the Season Book 5)
The Adventuress (A House for the Season Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one, 11 May 2014
This one is back on course after the slight oddness of number four in the series.

Good read, easy read, enjoyable. Great books for holidays, lazy days, "recovering from a horrible virus" days.

Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns
Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns

2.0 out of 5 stars Ooh no., 11 May 2014
What an odd one this was.

Agatha thinks a policeman would not have thought that a bent copper might buy an expensive car? I mean, she's not Mensa material herself is she - how insulting.

Supermarket lorries going to Europe to collect produce? Really? We are talking a small supermarket / supermarket chain. Don't they buy from local suppliers or order stuff in that is delivered to them or their depot - or is that something I just don't understand! It just struck me as really odd.

Anyway, the lorry goes from Mircester to Dover and is followed by Agatha plus a couple of her sidekicks. Presume M25 - M20? "He's taken the Dover Road .." - do you mean "He's turned onto the M20". then he turns off the Dover Road into a country lane ... what is that about? Are you just map reading again Ms Beaton? All very odd and definitely not the way I would have described that journey - but what do I know I only live in Kent!

Ends with new chap moving into the village and Aggie is off - chasing another dream.

Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body
Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this was a little better than the last one?, 11 May 2014
A little chap from the Health and Safety Board (whoever they are) is murdered and Aggie is off - ignoring the police and going her own sweet way.

Charles steps forward. Gustav is fired. Gustav is not fired.

Can't remember if James figures or not (read this back in February).

Agatha Raisin: There Goes The Bride
Agatha Raisin: There Goes The Bride

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Lordy Lordy, 11 May 2014
This is the one where Agatha moves to Planet Weird.

James is engaged to a slip of a thing (I think she's blonde) called Felicity. There is a good looking Frenchman kicking around - Sylvan Dubois who Agatha fancies. Then there is Bob Jenkinson the weird neighbour. Agatha gives up detective work. Agatha goes back to detective work. Nearly gets drowned twice and is feeling her age.

Must be one of the most bonkers ones in the series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 4:00 PM GMT

Agatha Raisin and a Spoonful of Poison
Agatha Raisin and a Spoonful of Poison

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaky research again?, 11 May 2014
This is the one with the church fete and the poisonings and another man for Aggie to chase. That aspect of it is the usual Agatha Raisin read.

However, when researching a marriage you don't go and look in a "wedding certificate book". And turning up at a record office and filling out a few forms to receive an instant answer - not the way it is described in this book. Please Ms Beaton do your research or at least ask someone who knows how these things work in real life. This sort of thing annoys the amateur genealogists in your readership believe me!

Oh, and James is engaged.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20