Profile for Jill in East Kent > Reviews

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24
Site Works
Site Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Site Works (Kindle Edition)
Such a lovely book! The subject matter - human waste, the cold, dark, Scottish nights (and days) would not maybe imply "loveliness" but fundamentally the book is about people and their interactions - and a project to build a new "drainage" system. And it is beautifully written.

The characters are well drawn and believable. The story chugs along nicely. There are a range of narrative voices, which I personally loved. What's not to like?

Thoroughly recommend.

Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
Christmas in Venice: A Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun little read, 4 Dec 2012
Very sweet little story. Doesn't take long to read. Chugs along at a good pace. Admittedly I was expecting rather more of Venice than we actually got, but, hey - it's Christmas and I'm happy to give this one 4 stars!

The Saturday Supper Club
The Saturday Supper Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% sure about this one, 18 Nov 2012
I quite enjoy watching Come Dine With Me as now and again you come across a marvellous feckless character who makes you snort with laughter. Perhaps part of my disappointment with this book is that none of the characters were like that. They were all a bit too "normal". There was not much humour and I feel this book could have done with more humour.

Our main character Eve, who is apparently in her 20s, comes across as about 18. She's a likeable enough girl but frets away about things so often and so regularly that I just wanted to shake her. (Shaking the Kindle doesn't work by the way - nor does saying "For heaven's sake woman ... get a grip!) I also started wondering why, in the 2000s she worries away about marriage proposals - I mean, it's not set in the 1950s so what's that about?

Eve's sister Daisy is a bit ghastly. And I think if she'd had more of a role in the book then perhaps that would have provided the humour ...

The other thing that intruded on my reading was the way the author moved the characters around. It was like reading unnecessary stage directions ... I just wanted to read the story. A bit of editing would have helped tremendously.

The story was OK, the characters were reasonably well drawn, overall it was an OK read, but not one that I will read again.

Have Yourself a Very Thrifty Christmas: A Beginners Guide to Making Yule-tide Savings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless - even for a freebie, 13 Nov 2012
I picked this up as a freebie and am so glad I did not pay for it.

Luckily it is incredibly short so did not take long to read.

There is nothing in here of any use whatsoever. I suppose if you have always had an unlimited budget for Christmas and suddenly find yourself completely broke and have no idea how to manage your budget or even attempt to make savings then this might have one or two tips but otherwise, don't waste your time. And definitely DO NOT PAY FOR THIS "book".

Salt: A World History
Salt: A World History

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff., 7 Nov 2012
(I read a hardback version of this - not the Kindle one.)

Fascinating stuff. Lots to keep you interested, lots of information that you may already know or may not know or just may not have made the connection ... Several times I caught myself saying "Oh, of course!" I love books like that!

And yes, as one reviewer has pointed out, the book does repeat itself a bit, as through time and across nations salt is produced. So there are similarities in processes etc. But, that aside, it's a great read and one I would thoroughly recommend.

The Haunting
The Haunting

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars!, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Haunting (Kindle Edition)
Overall, I enjoyed this one. Interesting concept, told in two different time periods. It's well paced and has enough of interest to grip the reader.

I did feel though, that it was more plot-driven than character-driven. The characters were well-drawn but did not "grow" during the course of the story which was a bit of a let down for me.

And, as a family history buff, I was not that impressed with the amount of coincidence and useful information handed to Harry on a plate! Slightly disappointing.

Remarkable Creatures
Remarkable Creatures

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 7 Nov 2012
Loved this book. Set in Lyme Regis in the early 19th century, it is a capitvating story, told from two different points of view. I read it over two days as I did not want to leave the place and time. Highly recommended.

The Voyage
The Voyage

3.0 out of 5 stars This is an OK little read, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Voyage (Kindle Edition)
It's a short story. Took just over 10 minutes to read.

Reminiscent of a Poirot episode in some ways - that 1920s feel. The language matches the period, it's a little stilted, to some extent a little distant. The characters don't really stand out but as it's a short story that's acceptable.

I picked this one up as a freebie and to be honest, I am not sure I would have been happy to pay out nearly £2.00 for it.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a 5 star rating, 6 Oct 2012
I loved this book. It moves along at a relatively gentle pace and I read it over several days which seemed to fit well with the pace of the book. It has a bit of everything - funny, sad, poignant, thought-provoking. A cast of very different characters - and with the older characters, some seem much older than their years and some a lot younger and I didn't feel they were all labelled as "elderly" or "geriatric" - so there was a good mix all round.

The story starts off in a fairly cynical manner but opens into a mix of other things - a bit of history, social history, stories of India, love, even a bit of sex ... I thought it was a great book.

(And, in response to the low reviewers who bemoan the book not matching the film, well, I've not seen the film of this book, and I've yet to see any film that matches the book it is supposedly based on ... for example, do any of the James Bond films mirror the books? I don't think so!)

London Poverty Map 1889 East (Old House)
London Poverty Map 1889 East (Old House)
by Charles Booth
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Sep 2012
This is an excellent product at a great price. Arrived promptly and is just what I need for my family history research to save me struggling to look at this online.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24