Profile for Mr. J. Day > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Day

Mr. J. Day (Preston, England)

Saeco Talea Touch coffee maker
Saeco Talea Touch coffee maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Bean to Cup Machine, 17 Jan. 2008
I really did my research before I purchased this machine as I wanted the convenience of a bean to cup machine without comprimising on the quality of the coffee produced. I got this with the Saeco Talea Touch. The Talea range also has the advantage of the milk island accessory which takes the headache out of frothing the milk. The touch screen interface makes using this machine incredibly simple but also allows a great deal of control over how your coffee is brewed. This is one of the few machines that allows you to vary the dose of the coffee (optidose) which in my view is a standout feature. The standard settings produce a fairly weak brew, but increase the pre-brew strength and the coffee dose and it transforms the result. This produces the best coffee I have experienced outside of Italy, with an intense flavour yet smooth without any hint of bitterness. You can change every aspect of the process to tailor it to your own taste, including the temperature, volume of water used, use beans or pre-ground coffee, the choice is yours.

A first class machine - worth every penny (that's what I keep telling the wife!)

Canon Powershot S3 IS Digital Camera[6MP 12 X Optical]
Canon Powershot S3 IS Digital Camera[6MP 12 X Optical]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in class !, 25 May 2006
This is a fantastic camera and the 12x zoom is phenomenal. I looked at a number of superzoom cameras including the Panasonic FZ7 and decided that this had the best range of features in its class. I wanted a camera that I could grow with, so the manual features do not dissapoint. The camera also functions well as a simple point and shoot when required with an ultrafast startup time.

The fact that it takes standard AA batteries is also a plus point. Last weekend the batteries ran out on me while in the Lakes, so I just popped into the nearest shop to buy some cheap alkalines.

Some reviews have criticised the screen for being too small. It may be smaller but the flip out screen is a boon which no other manufacturer seems to offer. It is great for ground work or above peoples heads.

Finally, the movie mode produces excellent results but there is a catch which in my view is the only negative point for the camera. At full resolution (640x480 30fps) it chews through 1Gb of card space in about 8-9 mins !!! 1gb (or an hour) is also the maximum length of a single clip of video, so some storage headaches here. Canon do not use MPEG4 so hence the large file size, however the results are excellent and a big plus is the abilty to use the optical zoom for video which is silent in use.

All in all a superb camera which I would definately recommend, a good compromise between a compact and an SLR.