Profile for Old movie fan > Reviews

Vanishing of the Bees [DVD] [2009]
Vanishing of the Bees [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Maryam Henein
Offered by Dogwoof Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diet of Fruits, Vegetable and Grains or Grains Only, 16 Mar. 2010
This is a wonderful, insightful documentary into the disappearance of the bees around the world. As an American citizen I was particularly interested in the workings of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and its responsibility for the present and future crises. Although no one seems to know exactly the reason for CCD(Colony Collapse Disorder) there are some definite indications of at least some of the blame. Single crop farming and the use of chemical pesticides seem to be at least partially culpable. In modern society we have forgotten where our food comes from. Apples, peaches, cherries, almonds, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes and onions are just a few of the crops dependent on the lowly honey bee for pollination. How different our tables would be without them!

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (PC DVD)
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game but the copy protection!, 20 Feb. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The game itself merits 5 stars. The copy protection merits 0 stars. Overall-2 1/2 stars. I bought a legal copy from a famous legit software store here. It installed fine but I couldn't get it to run. After doing a laborious and fruitless search on the Net I experimented a little on my own and finally-success. I got it to run. But my experience makes me feel very wary about buying new software until I read about problems people have playing and/or installing. I used to buy software after reading reviews. Not now. Copy protection kills a company's customer base! And not only for the guilty company with bad copy protection. It's bad for other companies as well. Many people just give up and don't go back to the stores. I may become one of these. For example, when you first run the game the protection software 'informs you that your system clock apppears to be wrong.' And then after a long period while it connects to the Internet it begins to run. However, if you don't have an Internet connection the software won't run. There is no information about this in the documentation!

Update: I just bought the North American edition of this program. It runs beautifully with no Internet connection! I assume that different copy protection is used.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2008 3:27 PM GMT