Profile for B. S. Barker > Reviews

Content by B. S. Barker

B. S. Barker "brendanbe" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Fireangel SO-601 Toast Proof Optical Smoke Alarm
Fireangel SO-601 Toast Proof Optical Smoke Alarm

4.0 out of 5 stars no cause for alarm, 13 Dec 2014
bought to replace our previous item which in it's wisdom(?) had a 10 year un-replacable battery in it. This one is the same -ish but has the option to change the battery. Tested it. All fine and should rouse us should there ever be a fire

4 Replaces T040 Black compatible inks for epson stylus C62 CX3200
4 Replaces T040 Black compatible inks for epson stylus C62 CX3200
Offered by DELCOMCOMPUTERS & WANTMOREINK

4.0 out of 5 stars inky and perky, 13 Dec 2014
haven't used them yet but have bought similar before and I'm sure they'll be fine

Duracell PreCharged Rechargeable 1950 mAh AA Batteries - 8-Pack

Dynamic Headset Microphone with Elastic Headband and 3.5m Lead
Dynamic Headset Microphone with Elastic Headband and 3.5m Lead
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

4.0 out of 5 stars Headset Go, 5 Nov 2014
I bought this for busking. I wasn't expecting a large amount but going by the reviews I thought I could take a chance. Quite pleasantly surprised. Plugged into my Roland AC Acoustic amp. The sound seems fine enough to me. My main concern was poor level of volume which means you'd have to crank it up and that's when the problems start. All fine on that count. Picks up pretty well with plenty of volume ( though the Roland amp is a pretty powerful thing in itself) The bit that goes around the back of the head is a little bit tight ( I've got a big head) and I will put it on with caution, from the back of the head and not from above as this will possibly break it. I'm going out to try it out today and see what the public think. Good product for the price.
Just a bit later add on. had a run through with my headphones in the amp. Slight clipping and overloading but not horrendous and maybe in an open area it wouldn't be that noticeable
Starting to feel a bit more comfortable on the head. It's fine at the moment and suits the purpose i bought it for

Luna Acoustic Guitar - Gypsy Bubinga
Luna Acoustic Guitar - Gypsy Bubinga

4.0 out of 5 stars Bubinga, 10 Oct 2014
Nice guitar with a lovely finish. Plays well with a neck that's not too thick…and not too thin. I thought the sound might be a bit 'thin' but it has a good range of tones without leaning too far either way.

Luna Concert Ukulele High Tide Design with PreAmp
Luna Concert Ukulele High Tide Design with PreAmp

4.0 out of 5 stars The tide is high, 8 Sep 2014
Not had it long. Neck slightly narrower than my Puka concert and just took minor mental adjustment. Fret board seems a bit longer and possibility of playing more up in that region but I don't generally. Nice wood and finish and the mother of pearl inlay on the neck is a nice finish.Tuning keys seem a little bit 'dinky' in comparison and hopeful won't add to any tuning issues.
Plugged in it sounds pretty good. Small unit for Volume, bass and treble on the side. Used it at a gig and sounded fine to me.
Didn't make any adjustments to the sound to get it sounding good through a Roland Mobile AC amp.The only thing that lets it down is the bag which is a bit bog standard for a uke that's been made to this standard. Bit flimsy and thin. That's about my only complaint about it.
Nice uke

Oscar Schmidt OC11CE N Electro-Classical Guitar - Natural
Oscar Schmidt OC11CE N Electro-Classical Guitar - Natural

4.0 out of 5 stars 0C11CE N, 21 Aug 2014
Nice rich tone, Took a little while to settle in. There was a small buzz on the G but that has stopped now and I haven't had it set up properly. Have plugged it in and recorded some song in Garageband it sounded good to me. The neck is slightly wider than some acoustics and a child or someone with small hands may have a bit of trouble getting around the neck but it's fine for me. I wasn't too sure buying it because I've only heard about Oscar Schmidts but never played one and I have to say I'm very happy with it

Opus LMS02-PU Metal Folding and Adjustable Sheet Music Stand with Carry Bag - Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars stand, 21 Aug 2014
Bought it for a friend. They seemed more than happy with it and the bag that it came in

Meinl FJS2SBK Foot Jingle Shaker
Meinl FJS2SBK Foot Jingle Shaker

2.0 out of 5 stars There are 2 different types of these on the market ..., 21 Aug 2014
There are 2 different types of these on the market and I went for the slightly cheaper one.
First airing at an outside gig with our ukulele band I saw a silver disc come flying off and down the drain cover never to be retrieved.
The pins that hold the tambourine discs in place (?) are loose so that when you tap your foot ( which is the whole idea of this product) the pins work their way out of the plastic casing and the metal discs are free to go rolling off down drains.
Thankfully I had an old broken tambourine so I could extract some replacement discs from that to replace the 2 lost ones.
I then put some thick gaffer tape over the holes to stop the pins sliding out again.
If you do buy this, I suggest you either put some tape over the end of the pin holes or a biggish blob of glue to hold them in place.
I did e-mail the company to tell them about this big design fault in their product and they just said they'd look into it..but no offer of replacement discs or anything.
The elastic strap is quite short and has held up so far but would have trouble getting around a clumpy boot with thick soles.
Having had a go on the more expensive one I sort of wish I'd bought that one instead.
UPDATE: Elastic strap broke while doing a gig last week. Had to fix it myself with new elastic strap. Not good

Puka Concert Ukulele Set (Rosette Series, Fire Phoenix Black)
Puka Concert Ukulele Set (Rosette Series, Fire Phoenix Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely uke, 21 Aug 2014
Really nice colour and finish..though it's probably just good transfers as most designed things are. There's a sort of tortoiseshell rim around the body and black fading to lighter tones around the sound hole.
Good carry bag that will provide enough protection and fits well.
Straight out of the box. Quick tune up and away you go. Tuning keys hold this in tune well
I've got a different one of these and have always been happy with it.
Good action, nice full tone without leaning too badly either way and easy to play.
Recommended