Profile for B. S. Barker > Reviews

Content by B. S. Barker

B. S. Barker "brendanbe" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Puka Rosette Series Concert Ukulele Outfit - Hibiscus Red
Puka Rosette Series Concert Ukulele Outfit - Hibiscus Red
Price: 73.02

4.0 out of 5 stars rosette, 28 Jun 2014
Lovely finish with a sort of worn in look and rosettes around the sound hole.
Nice action and after a little tuning played really well out of the box
Nice rich sound with clear ringing notes
Comes with a gig bag that has a small zipped pocket at the front for tuners and an adjustable strap for carrying
Nice piece of gear

3 Sets ColourDirect T040 & T041 Ink Cartridges for Epson Stylus C62, CX3200 Printer
Offered by Colour Direct
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ink, 28 Jun 2014
good price and good delivery. no boxes but who cares? I'm using the ink, not the boxes. The come in shrink wrap plastic seal bags
Only used the black so far and all seems to be ok.
Will update if, when I put the colour in , it doesn't work very well

LD Systems D 914 Pop Filter
LD Systems D 914 Pop Filter
Offered by Inta-Audio
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars pop shield, 28 Jun 2014
After using an embroidery circle with a pair of tights, my Missus bought this for me.
I did have one from Maplins but the arm was too short to be attached to the Mic stand and go in front of the Mic so 5 took it back.
This one fits the bill perfectly and does what it's meant to do i.e reduce the popping sound that you get from singing words with a 'P' in them and has enough bend and stretch on the arm to fix to stand and go a decent space in front of the Mic ( you don't want the shield too close to the Mic.
Job done.
I did manage to break the meshing ( my fault) and thankfully managed to replace it with another pair of tights stretched over the circle.
Good product

6 String Acoustic / Electric Guitar Capo Clamp (Trigger Style) - 6 Colours - BLACK
Offered by Lindo Guitars
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Capo, 4 Feb 2014
Not had it long. Seems to fit the purpose. I use it on my electric and acoustic without any problems.
Quite stiff to open which may ease with time..but I don't want it to become too loose.
Not too bad for the price if used with respect

Ashbury AM-10E Mandolin - Sunburst
Ashbury AM-10E Mandolin - Sunburst
Price: 184.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ashbury Mandolin, 3 Feb 2014
Being a guitarist and a ukulele player I thought I might branch out to a mandolin.
I've not tried many to give an objective view but this is on the higher end of the price range and I think it shows in the general details of this.
Keeps tune well, a good finish and haven't noticed anything that looks like a cheap botch job.
Nothing overly flash that makes you go wow but nothing on it that makes you think it lets it down.
The input for the lead is on the very end and doubles up for the strap button.
Not overly loud plugged in (I had it running into my soundcard and through Garageband) but I think that's because it's an 'under bridge' pick up rather than something you might get on an electric guitar or some of the Stagg/ Ibanez electro mandolins.
If you are planning on recording with this you may need either a signal booster or an audio input with phantom power. Also if you are playing live you may need to boost the signal a bit ( I've not tried it through an amp yet).
Having an under the bridge pick up should give you a clearer pure sound than a pick up that's just under the strings...though that's just my opinion
Saying that, the sound is clear and, unplugged, it has an almost body reverberating ring that resonates through your tummy.
My large fingers are still getting used to the ( comparatively) small space of just the mandolin in general but it seems easy enough to play...once I've mastered how to play the F chord

Puka Rosette Series Concert Ukulele Outfit - Peace
Puka Rosette Series Concert Ukulele Outfit - Peace
Price: 69.82

3.0 out of 5 stars not a concert ukulele, 20 Dec 2013
Looks more like a soprano to me.
Can't comment on the quality but if you're looking for a concert uke I don't think this is it

Peavey Jack Daniel's JD Ukulele
Peavey Jack Daniel's JD Ukulele
Price: 55.00

4.0 out of 5 stars JD Uke, 19 Dec 2013
I've had a play on this and was quite surprised beyond the sort of gimmick of having JD on it.
There is a sound hole at the front...and on the side which is quite a nice touch as the player can hear a lot better what they are doing...though it does mean there's less volume coming out of the front.
The width of the neck is quite good and a bit wider than most concert ukes so good for bigger fingers and finding the chords.
Not fantastic but not too bad either if you can find one for a decent price

Adam Hall SMS11 Music Stand
Adam Hall SMS11 Music Stand
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars stand by me, 29 Nov 2013
Seems pretty good and sturdy. These things are usually a faff to try and set up..and this is no exception but read the instruction sheet that comes with it and it should be ok.
Comes with a reasonable zipped bag to carry it around in

Mahalo Concert Ukulele & Case
Mahalo Concert Ukulele & Case
Offered by Normans Musical Instruments
Price: 46.99

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a Concert ukulele, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mahalo Concert Ukulele & Case
Unless that's the wrong picture this is most definitely NOT a concert ukulele but it is a Soprano which is smaller than a Concert.
I'm sure the uke is fine but wrong descriptions of items lead to misled customers..and we don't want that

Radio On [DVD]
Radio On [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Beames
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 8.71

2.0 out of 5 stars radio off, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Radio On [DVD] (DVD)
Art house cinema never got so boring.
Yes, very well filmed. Trying to be an Anton Corbijn video...but speed it up a bit.
The main 'character' is driving down to Bristol from London to try to find out what happened to his brother who recently died.
I know it's an old car but I could have walked to Aberdeen and back by the time he got to the Westway.
Rubbish, stilted, boring dialogue.
It's all trying to be mean and moody but comes over dull and boring.
I skipped the last 15 mins odd to get to the 'gripping climax' of this dreary film.
Don't know why Sting is in it at all...apart from to try and sell it with..'appearing Sting"
There are much better films than this to waste your time on

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7