Profile for Hub > Reviews

Content by Hub

Hub

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Intel i5 4590 Quad Core CPU (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 Dec. 2014
Sorry AMD but bye bye

Vans Unisex-Adult Era 59 (Pop) Charcoal/Grape Royal Trainer VEXD5LT 9 UK
Vans Unisex-Adult Era 59 (Pop) Charcoal/Grape Royal Trainer VEXD5LT 9 UK
Offered by ShoeMetro

2.0 out of 5 stars like non branded trainers that cost less than ten, 9 Dec. 2014
Feel cheap and nasty, like non branded trainers that cost less than ten pounds

NEW GENUINE SAMSUNG S3 i9300 INNER RINGER BUZZER ANTENNA BLACK & AUDIO SOCKET PART
Offered by MENKO TELECOM

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough to fit, 9 Dec. 2014
Easy enough to fit. Try i-fixit for instructions on how to save yourself the money on a new phone.

AURAGLOW 8w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Daylight Cool White, 60w EQV
AURAGLOW 8w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Daylight Cool White, 60w EQV
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than fluorescent, 24 Aug. 2014
Had one of these for what must be a year now with no problems so far. The quality of light is fantastic compared to those fluorescent things. Really recommended

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case
Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case
Offered by Box Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Only one flaw..., 12 April 2013
Would be a five star item if there was more room around the drive bays. The bays are centrally mounted, in theory allowing for drives to be deployed facing out of either side of the case, but this seems to leave too little room for an easy fit of the side panels once the SATA power cables have been attached. Although with a little pressure the outer case panels will slide back over, there is a little too much of 'close your eyes and hope things still work afterwards' for a case of this price.

Otherwise this is a really excellent piece of kit made of nicely machined parts; the case rising screw apertures are so well done that the risings just drop into place and sit perfectly upright when screwed down. This case is a real joy to work with when compared to some of the budged offerings around. Plenty of extra screws and other accessories are included.

If anyone can explain to me the logic, or the method, behind the drive bays - I actually find it hard to believe that such an otherwise well finished product has this flaw that I can't help but think I'm missing something - then I'll happily bump this review up to five stars, otherwise just 'good, very close to great'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 10:09 PM BST

WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Started to fail within hours, 15 Mar. 2013
Installed an operating system successfully, but slowly. At first I just thought I'd brought a slow drive but within hours was getting locks ups, corrupted data, files that existed but could no longer be read at certain locations; Fedora even started putting up warnings in caps about drive failure and I/O errors.

Tried a fresh install with something else but got even worse results, more and more data loss. Have packed the thing up and returned it to Amazon.

A shame because I've always had good experiences with WD drives in the past but I'd avoid these now.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2014 1:52 PM BST

Belkin Verve Tab Folio Cover for Kindle, Black (only fits Kindle)
Belkin Verve Tab Folio Cover for Kindle, Black (only fits Kindle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, 21 Oct. 2012
Good quality with a reasonably leather like effect cover and fabric lined interior; no need to worry about any plastic staining or other such problems.

My only crittercism is that maybe the covers could of been a little thicker and sturdier, as my kindle lives a lot of its life buried at the bottom of a back pack, but still decent protection.

Star Theatre Planetarium (Black)
Star Theatre Planetarium (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe if you got cash to burn, 21 Oct. 2012
It projects white dots onto your ceiling while rotating slowly at various manually controlled speed settings. It's nice and all, but unless you really can afford the odd toy easily, probably not worth the price.

Pretty enough effect though.

Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB)
Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB)
Offered by Kudos Deals

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally spoilt device by one massive fault: buy a nexus, 21 Oct. 2012
I've deleted the wall-of-text review I wrote of this thing, in favour of highlighting the one MASSIVE problem with owning the S3, and I suspect any Samsung Device:

Transferring files to the device by USB. Whether I use Windows 7 or Linux (Fedora 18 currently) whether the device is set as a MTP or a 'generic' camera, it just works so infrequently, with so much hassle, rebooting and general screwing around, I really do not want to know any more. I am not trying to do anything esoteric here, I am not rooting, trying to run some obscure custom O/S on my phone; I am trying to copy and paste a few folders onto a device via USB. This is not ground breaking stuff here.

The whole thing is just tiring now after around six months of ownership; I only brought an S3 over the newest Nexus because of the additional storage capacity offered by a memory card slot. How the hell you are meant to fill up any modern sized memory card with this plastic turd I'm really not sure.

To add a little balance: Yes, the rest of the phone is fine and exactly what you'd expect of a high end android phone, probably one of the best. Samsung do try and load it down with crap ware, but it's easily dealt with and still much better than the junk stuck on by a phone company.

I wrote earlier "I suspect any Samsung Device:" because many years ago, I owned a Samsung MP3 player which was also total crap at file transfer. To be fair that was just slow, as opposed to 'not working'

Honestly, who doesn't use their phone these days as some kind of portable media device, but if you buy this crap, good look to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 12:02 PM GMT

Motorola RAZR Sim-Free Smartphone - Black
Motorola RAZR Sim-Free Smartphone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A good phone, but there are as good, if not better, out there., 2 Dec. 2011
Not a bad phone but (primarily) in comparison to my old phone, a Nexus S now a year old, I find the new RAZR a slight downgrade and given that you can currently pick up a Nexus S. on here for a lot less than this thing, you can guess which I'd recommend. Or check out the review of the Nexus Prime if you have the money.

There are some great things about the RAZR though such as the form factor and the way the handset feels in the hand which is amazing. It's light yet feels solidly built, with even the haptic touch vibration being just powerful enough to be satisfying and jump slightly to the touch; perfect balance. I can't recommend that aspect of this phone enough.

But that seems to be where the brilliance ends, as though Motorola stopped paying close attention after coming up with the shape. Battery life is bad, even by smart phone standards and the battery in this phone is sealed in, so no carrying a spare in the pocket in case of emergencies.

To be fair there are some very good pieces of software included in this handset that will help extend battery life somewhat, but it's still not really enough to make it reliable as a mobile phone for say long journeys. Interestingly enough there is a brightness option on the screen, but it's only when you start to turn down the brightness that the slight green sheen on the screen when viewed from an angle you may of noticed becomes more obvious, and I can't help but wonder if this option was only included in a slightly desperate attempt to get every last drop of battery life out.

I hadn't seen up close 'Motoblur' before, the Motorola overlay on top of the stock Android interface (2.3, at the time of writing this phone does not ship with the newest android but it is 'planned') and now I have wonder why Motorola bothered, it's bad. Stock android is way better than that. HTC and their 'Sense' overlay might be an improvement, although I personally like 'vanilla android' compared to this.

The app screen didn't even scroll smoothly between pages, despite the powerful processor in the RAZR and no, I hadn't installed a ton of apps, it just ran worse than say both a friends Desire and my year old phone from virtually out of the box. Web pages did render quickly though, but the effect is still spoiled by that screen.

Between the poor screen, ever vanishing battery, ugly UI, and a few crashes and problems with WIFI (To be fair I didn't put much effort into fixing these myself, I expect something this price to work unless I'm trying to do something really obscure) I sent mine back after a day or so.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2012 2:58 PM BST