Profile for M > Reviews

Content by M

M "M" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion - Book 1)
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion - Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and captivating, Captive is a shocking and hair-raising sequel!, 19 Nov 2014
Dark and captivating, Captive is a shocking and hair-raising sequel to the explosive novel Pawn. The only thing I dislike about this novel is the cover, I just find it too simple and sadly does not do the book justice in comparison to the US cover.

Kitty Doe is wearing the face of Lila Hart. A girl who is suppose to be dead, but is not. However, when Kitty becomes agitated with secrets hidden from her concerning The Blackcoat Rebellion, she puts her identity on the line. But when she is thrown into Elsewhere, she must survive amongst those who hate her most whilst trying to help to rebellion.

Kitty Doe is a strong and powerful protagonist. She drives to help those around her, no matter who or what they have done; however, the things I like about her is that she does have a guilty conscience unlike a lot of protagonists. Knox is also an intriguing character, he always has a plan up his sleeve and is never caught out. Though some of his motives are questionable, Knox has the interest of the rebellion at his heart.

The plot of this novel is fast-pace and fascinating, though dark and cruel. The picture Carter paints of Elsewhere is horrifying and shocking. To imagine a place like Elsewhere, where no-one is your friend, where everyone has ulteria motives and are all tell-tales, alongside fearing for your existence with every breath, afraid; it is a place of betrayal and self-defence. Carter's imagery is vivid and realistic, whilst the captives have no idea what is really going on.

The twists and turns this novel took was something I certainly did not expect. It continuously kept you guessing whilst making you heart-wrench with emotion for the characters and captives. Alongside this, the battle was enthralling and perfect. It was a brilliant conclusion to the sequel and I could not have asked for anything more.

A shocking yet fantastic sequel, Captive with have you craving the sequel Queen.

Hide and Seek: A Lying Game Novel
Hide and Seek: A Lying Game Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STARS!, 19 Nov 2014
Though I feel the plots of the novels in this series are rather similar, they are certainly still addictive! I love these covers, the colours used are vibrant and eye-catching whilst the mystery of the last book by completing the face is solved but by the end of the novel you have the start of the face for the new suspect.

Now Thayer's name has been cleared, Sutton needs to find out the truth about Laurel as she begins to hint at the fact that she was not at Nisha's party the night of Sutton's death. Alongside this, her growing agitation with Thayer's affection towards Emma begins to grate on Laurel; Emma needs to be careful of Laurel until she can find out if she murdered Sutton or not before it is too late.

My opinions of both Emma and Sutton are much the same as before:
Emma:
Loving, kind, friendly, happy-as-she-can-be, determined, gets-into-trouble-on-purpose-if-thats-what-it-takes, sensible, and does not like the lying game. She now easily copes with accusations of things she doesn't know about of which Sutton did as she is very clever in twisting it around to use it to her advantage and acts as clues for Suttons death, making everything that much harder for her. She is also a very likeable character who is mature and practical.
Sutton:
Unkind, hates-everyone, goes-along-with-it, ALWAYS-in-trouble, rebellious, selfish, immature, moody, and loves the lying game! She also seems to revel in everyones unhappiness and does not think about others before herself. Now that we have seen her view from the outside... she seems to regret a lot of things she has done, is great at encouraging her sister even though she knows she can't hear her and shows that she can also be practical and think through the situations and come up with valuable and accurate conclusions.

I am though, starting to dislike Emma's boyfriend Ethan. He feels like a character who is becoming too dominant and his protectiveness over Emma is becoming uncomfortable and rather creepy, in comparison to the previous novels.

The plot of this novel I found to be rather similar to the previous novels, as the imagination for the situations occurring seems to be running rather thin. Though there is still danger and suspense, alongside drama and secrets spilled, there was very little to differentiate this sequel from the previous novels. Yet still addictive, this instalment will no doubt have you wanting more, as more questions are risen whilst others are answered.

This is a good fourth instalment to The Lying Game series however, the plots are sadly not unique and individual enough from one another to make it as powerful and dramatised as it should have been.

H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education)
H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education)
by Mark Walden

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant espionage novel in the art of villainous education; thoroughly enjoyable!, 19 Nov 2014
A brilliant espionage novel in the art of villainous education; thoroughly enjoyable! I am not a fan of the cover though as it is rather simple and dull, but I do like the font.

When groups of teens are taken from their homes without any knowledge of why and pushed into a new school, away from their parents and guardians, they must adapt to their new environment to be trained in villainy. But how far would you go to escape?

Our main protagonists in this novel were all fun and mysterious, their backgrounds were interesting alongside their 'extracurricular hobbies', like stealing million pound jewellery! Of course we have yet to find out everything of their past but I definitely look forward to learning more.

The plot of this novel was fast-pace and engaging. The imagination to create the goings-on inside the facility was brilliant and most of the scenes I could visualise due to their creativity and imagery. Easy-to-follow and fun, their adventures will certainly tide away any spare time.

A fun and adventurous novel of the training of villains that will have you wanting to try out their lessons; certainly a series I will continue with soon! The next novel in the H.I.V.E. series is The Overlord Protocol.

Onyx (Lux - Book Two) (Lux series)
Onyx (Lux - Book Two) (Lux series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Onyx more than Obsidian!, 8 Nov 2014
I loved Onyx more than Obsidian! Containing action scenes and mystery, I did not expect to see some of the scenes at the end. I am not a fan of the covers though, they are rather cheesy and awkward, but I do love the purple colour they have used!

Daemon and Katy are connected through Daemon's alien powers, making Katy a target for The Department of Defence. They have never known about their alien powers, until now. But not only must Katy run from them, she is also chasing them as she tries to find someone they all thought was dead, but is actually very much alive.

Katy was again brilliant in this novel. She continued to stand her ground and did not let others manipulate her opinions or decisions. She still had a guilty conscience which was a nice addition as a lot of female protagonists in YA novel, when in fights, just think about how they look and never think whether they should have really killed them. I also loved how her blogging was still kept in the novel; the 'In My Mailbox' scene was hilarious! I also really enjoyed how the romance did not take over the novel. Which leads us onto to Daemon… exactly the same thoughts as in the first novel: hot, snarky but loving.

The plot of this novel with a certain character was predictable, we all knew it! However, the ending was not what I expected at all, it all happened so fast but somewhat logically; even though it was a little rushed, it worked and there was no hanging around. There was also numerous amounts of action and fighting scenes that kept you on your toes, and shouting: "Don't go in there!". Alongside this, Armentrout showed no mercy to the characters.

This was certainly my favourite so far in the Lux series as it dod not hang around, was straight to the point with action and mystery. THAT ENDING!!!

Famous in Love
Famous in Love

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STARS, 8 Nov 2014
This review is from: Famous in Love (Kindle Edition)
Addictive and fun, this is a light and quick-paced novel of first love and becoming famous. I love the cover, it is beautiful and stands out easily!

Paige is just your normal girl with a dream of being a famous actress with the support from her two best friends. When Paige stumbles across auditions for the bestselling Locked trilogy, Paige auditions for the role of her dreams that will dramatically change her life. But being in the spotlight is anything but simple, Paige must watch all her actions as one false move will have rumours splashed across magazines, with most being false. Not only must Paige adapt to a new life, but she must control her feelings for her new co-stars, but what happens when she falls in love with one?

Paige is a very adorable, sweet and innocent protagonist, she is unaware of her talent and does not demand attention. However, I did find her to be a little selfish on rare occasions when talking to others about her siblings and friends, though at other times she was quite the opposite.

The love interest was a love triangle! Oh my days! I got a little annoyed. She knew who she wanted and then, instead of avoiding the risk she went and dives straight into it! She should have chosen the one she really wanted, and now it's complicated things meaning I have a pretty certain idea of the romance-side to the sequel; the love interests were also very clique, we had the good boy and the bad boy.

Though not very unique, Famous in Love was certainly well written. It continuously engaged you within the novel, and felt a lot more realistic than other novels in its genre (becoming famous). The plot was quick-paced and dramatic, just sadly not original enough. Though I did enjoy the setting of the novel, as Serle included scenes where they explore Hawii instead of being solely about being on set.

Overall this is an addictive novel and you won't stop until the end, it just did not feel original enough for me.

*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The Deep (The Island Series #3)
The Deep (The Island Series #3)
by Jen Minkman

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a perfect and satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, I will be sad to see it go!, 31 Oct 2014
The first two books in The Island trilogy are The Island and The Waves.

The Deep is a thrilling novel that represents the passion and importance of cooperation between communities, but also reinforces the idea of forgiveness and how others can truly change for the good. The cover is certainly my favourite in the trilogy, it expresses the freeness the characters experience alongside venturing into the unknown!

When Leia and Walt leave their home for the first time, they never thought they could experience more than they have already suffered. But when they take a secret trip to Exeter, they soon put their lives in danger as they escape being the first to never be ill from the radioactivity. Whilst back home, they try to stop a revolution group from destroying their boats to enable them to set sail alongside long-kept secrets revealed.

Our main protagonists Leia and Walt are a refreshing pair. They do not have the stage where they go “oh, should we really be together because of this or that?!” they get on and just do it, meaning I strongly admire this quality in them. It was also interesting to see Minkman’s perspective on the reaction of people to technology they have never seen before; I love seeing how an author approaches this topic and lets just say Minkman is one who did it well.

A character who I probably enjoyed reading about most was Alisa. She was feisty and stood her ground, paired with Saul they were unstoppable together. It was also intriguing to study Ben’s perspective of it all as he battled with his emotions surrounding his brother and those around him, whilst being in a completely new environment.

The plot of this novel to begin with was rather slow, until we got past 50% of the novel it began to pick up and the danger heightened alongside the action and danger. The imagery within the novel was captivating, especially the ending and action scenes; they were incredibly engaging and thrilling I was completely engrossed within the plot.

This is a perfect and satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, I will be sad to see it go! I am certainly looking forward to and future novels by Minkman.

*Received from the Author in exchange for an honest review*

The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles 3)
The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles 3)
by Gena Showalter

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STARS, 31 Oct 2014
The Queen of Zombie Hearts is full of zombie action and fighting, this third and final novel in the White Rabbit Chronicles is a satisfying conclusion. I felt it became slow in some places and some scenes I must admit I skipped, as I just wanted to get to the zombie fighting scenes; yes, I did. The cover is beautiful! Dark and detailed, it instantly grabs your attention; the covers of the whole trilogy look amazing.

When a surprise attack on the slayers from Anima bring in the law and try to make two slayer groups clash, they must ignore their dislike for one another and work together to beat them. Co-operation is key, but when Ai begins to develop new abilities, heads begin to turn and soon they are wondering who and where the real danger actually is

Our characters… oh the characters! Ali is a refreshing female protagonist in young adult novels. She stands her ground and does not let anyone tell her what to do. Alongside this, she is loyal and will always tell the truth; her promises are the most important thing to her. She fights like a bad a$$ and will do anything to look after her friends and family, and when fighting the zombies, lets just say she does not hold back. Then we have Cole Holland… he is pretty self explanatory: hot, feisty and protective (though I must say if he just decided to tell me what I can and cannot do, I would not be a very happy person.) Yes people, I am sorry to say but he can be incredibly and undeniably annoying, no matter how you try to justify it. He also appears to try to force his opinions on everyone else and essentially not give them a chance to have their say.

One of the things regarding the characters in this trilogy I loved is the fact that many of the secondary characters do have a prominent role within the novels. They do not get disregarded, they all play prominent roles whist not being too ‘invading’, their characteristics and personalities were developed effectively and they were a true positive and delight to read about in the novel; it wouldn’t be what it is without them. But then we had a mirror of Cole as the leader of the other slayer group called River. Seriously, those two must have been twins as they are exactly the same in their manner, rudeness and appearance alongside their fighting and action and morals and… everything basically! It would have been nice to see a new personality as a leader and not the mirror image of Cole. All slayers don’t have to be mean and ruthless, they just have to really care about the ones they love and not always be angry at one another. Then this heightened Cole’s protectiveness and River’s sister… and basically all spirals out of control with competition high with control, power and turn everything into an alpha male competition.

I am not really too sure what to think of the plot of this novel. It came across sometimes as a little rushed and then other times it was too slow. There were certainly twists and turns and wild goose chases that were absolutely perfect for the novel and yet some were just completely unnecessary whilst also being even more confusing. My favourite aspect about this novel? EPIC ZOMBIE BATTLES!!! Lets just say there were quite a few. Additionally, the plot does speed up in the last quarter though the ending felt a little too rushed!

The drama that occurred within the conclusion. O.M.G. I have no words. I will just give you one warning: It will undoubtedly pull on your heartstrings.

This was a brilliant conclusion to the trilogy, though I still feel the first novel Alice In Zombieland is still my favourite.

*Received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review* Thank you!

Lips Touch
Lips Touch

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Not Finish..., 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lips Touch (Kindle Edition)
I have never read anything by Laini Taylor yet I have heard absolutely fabulous things about her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy so I was incredibly intrigued to read LIPS TOUCH and was so excited to have the opportunity to review it. However, I was sadly disappointed and I am now contemplating whether I actually want to read her other novels. I am not a fan of the cover, it is a little too simple and I don't feel it truly captures the true aspect of the short stories.

Story one: Goblin Fruit

This short story was about a girl named Kizzy who was embarrassed by her magical family and fell in love with a new boy in town. That was pretty much all I really got from this story, I found it to be incredibly boring, and I have never seen insta-love be so obvious! It was incredibly frustrating and I did not understand the aim of the short story. Our main character Kizzy I found was uninteresting alongside an attitude of 'I hate the world!'. The plot was uninteresting and I felt had no real aim or direction to it.

Story two: Spicy Little Curses Such As These

This short story was about a girl named Anamique and a man named James who fall in love with one another, however Anamique is cursed. If she says anything, and people are within hearing, they will all die. This short story was mildly entertaining, and was drastically better than the first, however even this one I found to be uninteresting but also easily confusing; I become easily frustrated and disinterested in a novel when words and ideas are used but we have not a clue how to pronounce them! Alongside this I found the plot to be rather slow but also predictable; there was no 'WOW' factor at all. A second disappointment.

Story three: Hatchling

I'm not even sure what this short story was about and was certainly the tip of the ice berg, I just could not go on any further! No matter what I did or how much I tried to read (I really tried!) I just could not get into the story; I was so bored! Nothing really made sense and it was incredibly random, so I could sadly not finish it.

This was overall very disappointing and has made me contemplate as to whether I really want to read the Daughter of Smoke bs Bone trilogy. The only really positive aspect of this novel were the amazing drawings within the short stories; they were amazing!

*Received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Trust Me, I'm Lying
Trust Me, I'm Lying

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a highly addictive novel, perfect for fans of Ally Carter; Mary Elizabeth Summer is certainly an author to watch!, 14 Oct 2014
Addictive, page-turning and smart. Trust Me, I'm Lying will certainly leave a positive lasting impression; a definite read for all Ally Carter fans like myself! I love the cover. So dark and mysterious, with the use of the shadows and necklace really capture your eye.

Julep Dupree is a grifter. An expert in her profession, Julep only learnt from the best… until he goes missing and she finds her apartment turned upside down. With the leader trying to find and capture her, Julep recruits her best friend and hacker Sam alongside the charmingly popular Tyler to help her find her Dad whilst uncovering stalkers, family secrets and a herd of criminals.

Julep Dupree was a smart, witty and yet easily likeable character. Julep was a female protagonist who did not rely on anyone else, and though her actions were not always lawful, she had the best intentions to help out those around her. Julep thought carefully through most of her plans which showed maturity and thoughtfulness.What I liked most about her character through the progression of the novel, is she began to find her true self.

The plot of this novel was fast-pace with a gallon of twists and turns that grab your attention. Alongside this, there was danger and action but most importantly I loved how their actions were not what you expected. I also loved the change in motives and secrets revealed near the end, I felt this added a more serious edge to the novel as the circumstances were of more of a realistic setting. The con theme to this novel was certainly fascinating; there are fake ID's, hacking and much more.

*Received from NetGalley (as part of blog tour) in exchange for an honest review*

Black Ice
Black Ice

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series however I found Black Ice predictable and uninteresting, 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Black Ice (Kindle Edition)
Going into this novel I wanted to know nothing. Very rarely do I do this but I absolutely loved Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series so I expected to absolutely love Black Ice. I really wanted to love this novel, the plot was intriguing and darkly mysterious, the danger was portrayed to be haunting... and yet it all fell flat. I personally found it to be rather boring, predictable and repetitive. The characters I found to be uninteresting and I was unable to connect with our main protagonist Britt, as she was self centred and sadly incredibly boring; she dwelled on petty things. I am torn between my feeling of the cover, on one side it seems rather cheesy and fake, but on the other it seems rather angelic.

When Britt organised their trekking trip, she did not realise she would be kidnapped and forced to lead two strangers off the mountain... during a freak storm to save both her and her best friends life. But the only way she can make them trust her and not kill her, is to pretend she is on their side. But soon things become complicated and not only must she need to get off the mountain, but she has to solve their motives too.

The characters, oh the characters: Britt was a spoilt and unlikeable girl, she was self-centred and incredibly naive. All she focused on was getting her ex back, even though he dumped her over the phone, was controlling and arrogant, and didn't want anyone to find out about the relationship; obviously that was okay!? Not! Britt made herself vulnerable and lazy, depending on the men in her life to do everything for her; she just relied on everyone for everything. She relied on two male strangers to look after them, and though Stockholm Syndrome was present, I still can't believe she fully trusted them! I was so frustrated with both her and Korbie's actions, they relied on everyone else and put themselves in danger even though they had a map to help find a mountain ranger security building! I, just… AHH! Frustrating! But also the friendship between Britt and Korbie was incredibly puzzling. Korbie continued to treat Britt horribly and did not seem to care about her, and yet they were still friends. Alongside Mason, our male lead, was dark and brooding and yet he was incredibly frustrating too.

The plot of this novel was intriguing to begin with, then it became rather boring. It was sadly predictable and uneventful in comparison to what you might expect. Most of the novel was of them walking, maybe coming across a bear or house every-now-and-again. Sadly it was not engaging enough. The mystery was sadly predictable alongside what would occur throughout.

Sadly this novel did not live up to my expectations, I was unable to connect with our main characters and the plot was rather uneventful alongside predictable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11