Profile for Tim > Reviews

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars but like a flower the story opens out, 13 Feb. 2015
Very clever book. You start thinking it's just another portrait of a zany US college student, but like a flower the story opens out. It is one of the few books that really makes you think, but although the political message is strong, Karen Joy Fowler doesn't hit you over the head with it. She treats a subject we all "know" something about, and should care about, but she goes deeper, and more tenderly. She personalises the problem, while always seen through the eyes of the same zany US college student we saw at the beginning.

Trekmates Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner
Trekmates Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner
Offered by MyoutdoorStore

1.0 out of 5 stars but it's thin and horrible to the touch, 13 Feb. 2015
The product was not what I expected, nor, frankly, what I wanted. When I read "fleece" I thought fleece as in a fleece blanket or a fleece wrap. Something warm. Wrong. The material this bag is made of might technically be fleece, but it's thin and horrible to the touch. Static electricity everywhere. Sticks to you as you try, desperately, to get out. The lining of the bag is a thin fleece, the outside part a shiny unpleasant textile. I wouldn't recommend to anyone. And why, when it weighs very little, was my postage over £8.00? To France, admittedly, but it could have been sent as a letter.

The Silences of Hammerstein (The German List)
The Silences of Hammerstein (The German List)
by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Hammerstein, 9 Jan. 2011
Briefly to give a different p.o.v. to the previous review -- entirely accurate as far as the plot description etc is concerned. "Hammerstein is not an appealing personality, being dour and serious and I got little sense of a personality with any appeal." In fact the book is much more about Hammerstein's children than the general himself, who certainly remains enigmatic, but I would have thought that is the point of the book. And of course we are talking about a person who existed, not a fictional character. He is fascinating (to me) precisely because he is so ambiguous and hard to pin down. The big plus of the book for me was the picture of young people in the 1930's -- the times, so recent, were so black and white. One was either on the left or on the right, extremes in both cases -- nothing in-between like our woolly-minded selves today, dithering about everything. The (real) people in Enzensberger's book seem to have gone to their deaths within the walls of the Lubyanka or in Nazi concentration camps with a calm certainty. Certainly Enzensberger does not sensationalise the horror - it is just there, and all the stronger for that.
Finally in reply to "I think its appeal will not be quite so great in other countries", perhaps worth noting that the book was voted Book of the Year by the influential French literary magazine Lire in December 2010. Not just Best Novel, or Best Biography, but Best Book.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Double Blanket, 9 Jan. 2011
Disappointment first of all. If this is a double blanket where does Morphy Richards get its idea of average size from? The blanket would do well for two cats, for two humans forget it unless they sleep so close together they don't need an electric blanket. And short, too. Forget warming the feet, the blanket does not even reach my thighs

The heat is OK. Again, in a centrally heated house it would be fine -- but in that case why use an electric blanket? Our house has no heating, the blanket's job is to warm a mattress and eider-down that are cold to the touch. It takes about two hours. Certainly far better than nothing, but should be so much better (and bigger)