ARRAY(0xabaf60a8)

Profile for M. Smithson > Reviews

Content by M. Smithson

M. Smithson "Bilk9434" (Essex, UK)

'Tom'foolery
'Tom'foolery

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Reservoir dogs but in "Sarfend", 8 July 2013
This review is from: 'Tom'foolery (Kindle Edition)
When I was first told about this book by the author, a Facebook friend, who I have never actually met. I was a bit, well you know like "Yeah OK mate I will have a look", I downloaded the sample and was gobsmacked, it's well written, builds up the tension nicely and you do actually feel for the characters.
Its gritty, and sometimes makes uncomfortable reading, having a reader feel empathy for a character is a hard trick for an author to pull off, but Colin Chapman has done it. It's hard to believe this is his first novel, I have paid more and read far, far worse.
Perhaps the best compliment I can pay it are:
1. It has that "just one more paragraph before I put it down" quality.
2. It has left me wanting to read more from the author.

I don't want to spoil the story but it twists and turns like an epileptic snake, just when you think you know what's happening, like in the Usual Suspects the rug is pulled from under your feet. I was hoping to make it last a week, but read it in a day.

Highly recommended.

Fujifilm X10 Digital Camera - Black (12MP EXR CMOS, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch LCD Screen
Offered by Picsio
Price: 229.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed, 27 Jun 2012
I compared this to my much loved Olympus Pen-EPL2 (with 20mm Panasonic lens). Together with a few other lenses (Kit, 45mm Oly, a couple of Canon FD Legacy).
What can I say, well using it in EXR mode I have been amazed at the quality of the images, if not quite the equal of the Pen & Panasonic 20,, then blinking close.
With over 1700 shots, not one case of the dreaded "orbs" aka Specular highlights.

Negatives? Well the only one I can think of is the Pen rewards manual input, whereas the X10 is at heart a point and shoot.

Is it a keeper? Yes I love it.

The Lawn Guide: The Easy Way to a Perfect Lawn
The Lawn Guide: The Easy Way to a Perfect Lawn
by Philip Sharples
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 25 Jun 2012
What can I say? Like most I am not a gardener, but using the advice from this book, I soon found that our lawn had improved 10 fold.
Its written in a friendly, easy to digest manner with loads of useful info. In all honesty, this should have been a boring book, the fact that I found it interesting, useful and that it motivated me to have a go, says it all really.
Bargain price too, I can't recommend it enough!

Zyxel ZyWall USG 20 USG Firewall 5 IPsec 1 SSL-VPN Tunnel 100 Mbit/s
Zyxel ZyWall USG 20 USG Firewall 5 IPsec 1 SSL-VPN Tunnel 100 Mbit/s
Offered by Ballicom International
Price: 141.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 4 Jun 2012
Having read reviews I thought that this might be a useful upgrade to my home network, however:

Amazon supplied a device with an American plug? No adapter etc included, then to top it off, lowered the price by 7

So I have sent it back for a full refund, why in this day and age an item is supplied without the required plug is disappointing. And lowering the price a day or so later? No comment!

I have marked the USG as a 4 star, without testing it, this is due to the build quality which looks and feels cheap, it certainly does not feel or look very robust. The 900 page manual is available from Zyxel as a download ( a printed copy is not supplied with router) and unlike the more common routers, or the Cisco RVS4000 and ASUS NT-56, setup does not look very straightforward at all. The "Security features" require a subscription to two software sites, which are relatively expensive and unlike my RVS4000 there is no hardware/software Intruder Prevention System. There is a good review of this router on smallnetbuilder just google for more.

I hope that my few words help you in your decision.

Asus RT-N56U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router. 802.11n, Hardware NAT, 5 Internal Antennas, Fast Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty
Offered by Ballicom International
Price: 72.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 16 May 2012
I bought this router and also imported an ampedwireless R10000G to use on my network as wireless access points.
I use a smalle business Cisco Router (WV180)

I then discovered some custom firmware, (go to small net builder and search for padovan), this made this even better. It's faster than my Cisco, it has better range and throughput than my 600MW R1000)G it works flawlessly with my Q-Nap NAS drives and Popogplug, I couldn't be happier. No problems running a mailserver and hosting my own website (both from the Q-Nap).

I cannot recommend the N56 or the custom firmware enough.

I compared this with:
Belkin N+ ..... (No comment)
Netgear WNR2000 (flashed with DD-WRT)
Apple Timecapsule 2011
Apple Airport Express (N)
Amped Wireless R10000G

This is the router! Get it and then download the firmware, (easy to install, just download it, then log into 168.1.1.1 and click on the firmware and thats it! )