Profile for Flocon de neige > Reviews

Content by Flocon de neige

Flocon de neige "summer snowflake" (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons
Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons
by Michael Levin

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, 30 Jan 2011
I'm British, and live in France with my French husband and 2 young children.

Keen to teach my 4 year daughter to read English, I started this book last summer. She won't be taught to read English at school in France any time soon...

We've worked steadily on the book, and now, nearing the end of chapter 7 of 20, I liken her in my mind to a bird who's just about to take off - running fast, flapping those wings - sort of floating between steps on the ground!!!!

I love the book. I love how it works through the different sounds, and keeps it simple enough to make a child want more. My little girl loves to colour in the pictures too.

I have a little boy who I intend to use the book with too, so have photocopied the pages for my girl- this works out great as when we do the lesson she puts the different sound pages ( 1st student page of each chapter ) in front of her to help her sound out the words. This may be tedious if she had to flip back in the book to find the right page when she ( inevitably) forgets some sounds. It helps her confidence to know she just has to scan the photocopied pages on the table to spot the sound - brilliantly portayed by an image.

I got the book on Amazon uk, then afterwards found out on Amazon U.S. that there's a dvd with the book too. I hung the expense (!!!!!!)and ended up getting another copy to have the dvd. It is worth it, I'd say for the added interest ( she buzzes off the 'Your score is 100'!!! ) It is American English, though, and some sounds do sound different!!! Just be there to say 'Giggle Bunny's American, we say it differently'......!!!!!

I also got my daughter the Fun with Phonics ( BBC ) dvd and started watching it with her from now - unit 7. She picks up lots of sounds, and I think it's a good point to introduce other sounds to come.

I'm really chuffed at the progress my 4 year old is making. I push a little, and heap on the praise. It's true that at times it seems like it's not going in ,then suddenly she'll just read you a word off the page!!!! The book seems to go at a realistic pace.

Some words that have been seen alot in the book are not underlined by sound, the child is expected to know them, so read them without sounding first.
Personally, I let my girl do as she wishes here - she prefers to sound the word, so I let her. Sometimes she says a sound underlined word right off, so I would say don't push the child to read the word just because the book says it's been seen enough to recognise it.

The child has to feel safe before taking to flight!!!! Be there as a co-pilot!! Let them call for help as they need, otherwise, once you've read them that first page of the chapter, let them flap their wings and try!!!!!!!!! It's such a heck of a skill to watch them learn. Enjoy the priveledge of being a part of it!!!!!!!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 9:12 PM GMT

Monsoon For Women EDT Perfume 50ml
Monsoon For Women EDT Perfume 50ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price!!! Lovely scent!!!, 30 Jan 2011
I really like this perfume.

It's original in a good way!!!

It's low price tag means buying more products like shower gel won't break the bank.

The bottle and box are really beautiful too.

A nice little treat.

Cacharel Liberte Femme Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml
Cacharel Liberte Femme Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scent, 30 Jan 2011
I love this perfume.
It's so original - and as all perfumes hard to describe!!
I read another reviewer thought it was like Angel - I don't!!! I find it quite different to Angel,and to other perfumes too.
It's a great price, leaves change to compliment with shower gel to really make it last.

Kids' Spanish: First Steps in Children's Language Learning: First Steps in Learning
by Clare Mousley
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!!!!!, 16 Jan 2011
I am English and live in France with my 2 children ,aged 4 and 2 - their dad is French; they are textbook bilingual.

I decided that I should introduce - in a fun way - a third language. This CD is JUST what I was after!!!!! It's a wonderfully logically set out fun language cd. My 2 year old was happily repeating the speaker ( of course in a 2 year old way, but it's there ) and my 4 year old was ( as instructed ) listening out for specific words. It has numbers, colours, days, months ,the alphabet, plus fun ditties like Polly Put the Kettle On, Old McDonald...It's great!!!! It has the children say basics like name, age, - it makes the children pround , and so motivated, to know they can say full sentences in Spanish, basic as they may be.

It teaches children to draw from their own language (in my tot's case,lanuages!!! ) for understanding, and helps tune their ear to totally foriegn sounds.

Can't speak highly enough of this cd. I'm just sorry there doesn't seem to be a vol.2!!!!!

A superb way to introduce a new language. Fun learning at its best!!!

BOSCH Big Toolcase With Battery-operated Drill
BOSCH Big Toolcase With Battery-operated Drill

2.0 out of 5 stars Hefty price, 16 Jan 2011
I shopped around for a tool toy for my 2 year old for Christmas.

I saw sets in shops with varying battery operated drillers and such, and opted for this Bosch toy having seen it on Amazon.

I thought there'd be diffent settings to the drill- there aren't, just simple drill - press button, it 'drills'. The other articles in the tool case are the usual run-of-the-mill plastic stuff - nut and bolt,saw,hammer- nothing else battery operated.

It's -in my view - not worth the high price, seeing what else is out there. I've paid over the odds, I fear, just to familiarize my budding DIYer to the name stamped on his one-function toy. Of course he loves 'drilling' holes in my foot, the tv, his sister, but each time I hear that pesky sound, I tell myself I could've got the same, let's face it, short lived hoot of a toy for less...and another toy with the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost and Found [DVD]
Lost and Found [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely -but little ones will be scared by the storm!!!!!!, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lost and Found [DVD] (DVD)
I ( Santa ) got this for my 4 year old.

I had How to Catch a Star already , and trusted this book and dvd would be appropiate for my little one ....

The book Lost and Found is beautiful. The dvd is too - it's jaw-droppingly charming!!! However, my 4 year old was really quite scared during the whole ( to a 4 year old, long ) storm scene, complete with lifeless body of penguin scare part!!! The scene with the saviour octopus was a bit beyond her,too.

I only have myself to blame. I should've watched it before ( that dratted run-to-Christmas-snow had sooo many consequenses!!! ) by myself. Instead I found myself reassuring her all would be fine and regretting my lack of forethought. She was really uneasy at the mentioned parts.

I'm by no means saying it's disturbing, it's not. It's a masterpiece, just be aware some parts are a bit intense for a TOTALLY engrossed-in-the-story child, and so be beside them as they watch......we don't want the storm to be a nightmare leading role in their impressive little minds!!!!!

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
by Carol McCloud

5.0 out of 5 stars It's happy and posititve!!, 16 Jan 2011
This is a nice book.

The message is really 'do-unto-others-as-you-would-have-done-unto-you"!!!!

A splendid message- who could argue otherwise!!! ( !!!!! )

Have it in as a reminder story to children . the pictures are lovely, the message priceless.

Loving Family Small Sterling Silver Pendant - Mother and 2 Children
Loving Family Small Sterling Silver Pendant - Mother and 2 Children

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 13 Jan 2011
I love this.

As a mum of 2 children, I wanted a piece of jewelry to reflect that and.....here it is!!!!!

I love the protective stance of mama, the joined hands of the 3.

It's perfect for a mum who wishes to celebrate the uniqueness of the mother/children closeness.

A lovely pendant. I feel pround to wear it, to show I have 2 darlings!!!!!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely., 13 Jan 2011
I wanted an original sea-lion gift for my smitten 4 year old, and found it in this lovely mobile.

It moves every so elegantly , she's thrilled with it.

There are lots and lots of different mobiles to choose from in the range. I got sea lion as my girl loves them but there are all sorts available.

Happy upward gazing!!!!

Where The Wild Things Are
Where The Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan., 13 Jan 2011
I dillied and dallied before finally getting this for my 2 year old boy for Christmas. I figured so many good reviews on amazon can't be wrong ( will I EVER learn??!!! ),despite my own silenced unease with the book.

The tots don't like it....they don't get it. I found the text odd. As a parent, you have to explain ( bad sign ) that Max is imagining his room transform , and also that Max is imagining those unendearing weird looking wild things. Ahh, I'm explaining too much!!!!!! I'm reading a picture book to my 2 under 5s!!!!!! I shouldn't NEED to explain!!!!!!!!! I don't want this enease as I read!!!!!! I want to sail through text, settle my sleep-seeking child with reassuring images and pictures that won't disturb. Kinda think I got the wrong book in Where The Wild Things Are. Those Wild Things are a tad unpleasant to look at.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 10:04 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7