Profile for pageturner > Reviews

Content by pageturner

pageturner

Confession
Confession

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel about Charlotte Bronte's stay in Brussels, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Confession (Kindle Edition)
This sheds light on the time the author went to Brussels with her sister Emily to study French - a period which later features in her novel, Vilette. Well-written and with strongly-drawn characters.

The Handfasted Wife - an historical novel (The Daughters of Hastings Book 1)
The Handfasted Wife - an historical novel (The Daughters of Hastings Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story about a shadowy Queen, 1 Dec 2013
I enjoyed this peep into the period of English history around 1066 and learnt a lot. The author has done a lot of research and built up a rounded and colourful picture of Harold's wife and the struggles she faced after his death at Hastings. I look forward to reading more of the planned saga.

The Modern Girl's Guide to Hatmaking: Fabulous hats and headbands to fashion at home
by Mary Jane Baxter

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book, 12 Oct 2013
With a family wedding coming up I was looking for millinery inspiration and here I've found plenty. (I've tried making fascinators before, but didn't manage more than a base with a few feathers and beads.) This book has opened up a whole range of possibilities, with projects suitable for all ages and skills. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. At the moment, I'm thinking of the Treasured Tiara for the little flowergirl, and the Teardrop fascinator for myself. After that, who knows? Thank you, Mary Jane.

The Forbidden Queen
The Forbidden Queen

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel about a little-known queen, 2 Jun 2013
Not much has been written about Katherine de Valois, yet her marriage to her servant, Owen Tudor, was the start of the Tudor dynasty.. Anne O'Brien's accomplished novel brings her to life and explains much about the politics of her age. A vivid portrait of a woman who had little power over her life, but occasionally I got a bit impatient with the longer passages about what Katherine was supposed to be feeling. Luckily there are some end notes about what happened to the main characters.- the novel ends with Katherine withdrawing to a nunnery.

The Sisterhood
The Sisterhood

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Sisterhood (Kindle Edition)
Took this on holiday and found it an engrossing read. Also, it covered a period in history which I don't know much about. I thought the present-day section was a bit contrived, hence the 4-star rating.

A Serving of Scandal
A Serving of Scandal

4.0 out of 5 stars A serving of Scandal, 9 Jun 2011
An interesting theme: an innocent friendship between a high-up government figure (Oliver Stapler) and a caterer (Kate McKinnon) is portrayed by the media as being an affair, with devastating consequences.(Is the author drawing here on the rumours in 1993 about John Major and a caterer? They were false - he was actually involved with Edwina Currie - but the allegations made life very difficult for the woman the media thought was involved.) Prue Leith's take on this makes you think more carefully about what you read in the gossip columns, and her account of the way the media can hound a person and destroy their reputation with a few words is frightening. The plot is good, her catering details lend authenticity and the settings ring true. But some of the characters were a bit flat, and I never quite believed in the blossoming friendship between Oliver and Kate. At the end, I was rather left hanging - do they manage to make a life together? Perhaps a sequel is planned.

Dreaming Anastasia: A Novel of Love, Magic, and the Power of Dreams
Dreaming Anastasia: A Novel of Love, Magic, and the Power of Dreams

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming Anastasia, 9 Jun 2011
I was a bit disappointed with this choice. Downloading it to my Kindle meant I didn't have a chance to flick through the pages first and get a feel of the novel. It has an interesting theme which would make you want to find out more about the Romanovs and what happened to them, but seems to be written more with a teen audience in mind. I finished it, but had trouble engaging with the characters.

Passion
Passion
by Jude Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Passion - Jude Morgan, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Passion (Paperback)
Having 'done' the Romantic poets - Byron, Keats and Shelley - at school, I was at first doubtful that I needed their stories retelling, albeit in a novel. But Passion brings them vividly to life in an unusual way - through the women whose lives tangled with theirs. We start with the quiet(ish) childhoods of Fanny Brawne, Mary Goodwin, Augusta Leigh and Caroline Lamb, then plunge into the turmoil of their relationships, and the consequences. I wish this book had been around when I was a student - it breathes new life into their work and biographies, as well as being a fantastic read. (I would also recommend Jude Morgan's novel of the Brontes: The Taste of Sorrow. Again, I found myself reading into the small hours, even though I knew what the ending would be.)

Chic on a Shoestring: Simple to Sew Vintage-style Accessories
Chic on a Shoestring: Simple to Sew Vintage-style Accessories
by Mary Jane Baxter

5.0 out of 5 stars Chic on a Shoestring - simple to sew vintage-style accessories, 9 Jun 2011
Love this! Dozens of easy-to-make projects which I can use to revamp my wardrobe and update old items. I've already made the ribbon corsage (pg 83) which took about 15 minutes and have found an old tie to transform into a purse. Next on the list is customising an old cardigan with lace (looks amazing in the photo on pg 37) and maybe a Floribunda brooch to brighten up a t-shirt. Might also try the elegant shoelace necklace. I used to enjoy making and customising clothes when I was a teenager, and now Mary Jane Baxter has reawakened my creative instincts. The ideas are imaginative and useful, and use materials which probably already languish in a drawer or wardrobe. Instructions and illustrations are easy to follow, and you don't need a sewing machine for most. Recommended for anyone with an eye for fashion, for unusual presents, and also for those "I'm bored!" school holiday moments.