Profile for christine > Reviews

christine

The Eidolon
The Eidolon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic page-turner, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Eidolon (Kindle Edition)
I read most of this in one sitting! I loved the melding of real and fantasy science - it was all very credible. The characters are deftly painted, without too much detail. I can't wait to read more from this author.

Healing Grief, Finding Peace: 101 Ways to Cope with the Death of Your Loved One
Healing Grief, Finding Peace: 101 Ways to Cope with the Death of Your Loved One

3.0 out of 5 stars Might help in some circumstances, 7 Oct. 2013
This book is about how you can help your grief by taking control, by making choices. I sympathise entirely with the principles, but as a bereavement counsellor I can see that for many grieving people this message is too soon.... that grief is like a wound that needs healing via narrative and via the construction of continuing bonds. Telling a grieving mother early in her grief, for example, that she has choices wouldn't be rapportful. She feels out of control, and she needs to rebuild her world slowly. I don't think that this book would reach out to her.

God Collar
God Collar
by Marcus Brigstocke

3.0 out of 5 stars Rant, 1 July 2011
This review is from: God Collar (Paperback)
I was disappointed in this book. I thought that amidst the anticipated humour and rant there would be some depth about religion. I didn't find it. I did think that Marcus came across as immensely non-judgemental, which is inspirational. But I'd have liked him to explore things such as why people seek religion and how he thought through the significance of his friend's death.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2011 10:44 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Innacurate Alarm, 27 Sept. 2010
The clock is fine - but the alarm goes off 15-20 minutes before the time you select. :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 10:56 PM GMT