Profile for G. Dewar > Reviews

Content by G. Dewar

G. Dewar

Nokia Lumia 820 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows)
Nokia Lumia 820 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone, but be careful when you order!, 15 Aug. 2013
The phone is brilliant - clear screen, superb camera and excellent software. In particular, the Satnav app is better than anything else I've tried. It's a hefty piece of phone, and the case back is a little slippery, so it will take getting used to. In all other respects, the phone is superb.

BUT - I ordered it a week ago, at £237, and already it's dropped to £199. Either play roulette with the prices, or bite the bullet and put up with price fluctuations! I'd be prepared to accept a fluctuation of a few pounds, but £38 is hard to stomach!

UPDATE: I've been using the phone for a bit now, and I'm getting to know what it can do. I had a N97 Mini until the phone stopped holding a charge, and the difference from the creaky Symbian OS is considerable!

Many people complain about the lack of "apps" for the WP8. I have to say that there isn't anything that I could have on an iPhone that I can't have on the Lumia, and several of the Nokia exclusives are brilliant, and there isn't an equivalent on the other platforms! Cinemagraph is great fun (adds little animated sections to a photo - the pictures are a bit like the ones in the Daily Prophet, with little sections of movement!), and the Nokia Satnav is the best I've tried. I've added my usuals, including Evernote, FB and Twitter and so on.

The Camera is excellent, and the apps that support it (especially Smart Shoot) are brilliant. The screen is very clear and the colours are vivid. I haven't printed a photo to compare it with my Oly DSLR... but they look great on my laptop. The photos automatically back up to my Skydrive when I get to a wifi connection.

Battery life is much better than I have been used to. After a day's moderate use (including the phone automatically checking my emails every 15 minutes), there is still some charge to go.

The constant movement on the homescreen is fascinating, and careful arranging of the tiles makes the phone seem alive. It is quite mesmerising! Nothing is laggy or slow, and the OS is very simple to understand and use. I can't understand why the reviews are so against WP8.

So- only one problem so far, and that is that none of my Nokia car mounts fit! The only official car mount for the 820 is the wireless charging one for £60.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 11:23 PM BST

Music of the Four Countries
Music of the Four Countries

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent rendition of some little known British composers at their best, 19 Oct. 2011
The music is selected from the works of an English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh composer, and represents the best of each one. The best known is "Land of the Mountain and Flood". The main theme was the signature tune for "Sutherland's Law" in the 70s. Smyth, German and Harty provide equally stirring music, and Gibson leads the SNO with flair.

Recommended to those who want to explore English (British?) music beyond the usual heavyweights of Holst, RVW and Elgar.