Profile for Nick Keighley > Reviews

Content by Nick Keighley

Nick Keighley "Nick Keighley"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Europe at Midnight (The Fractured Europe Sequence Book 2)
Europe at Midnight (The Fractured Europe Sequence Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars really jolly good. really. amazing., 18 Mar. 2016
just brilliant. hard to express how great. read this.

Saturn V Flight Manual
Saturn V Flight Manual
by Nasa

5.0 out of 5 stars Apollo was amazing, 18 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Saturn V Flight Manual (Paperback)
incedible engineering manual. The book to give to all the loons who doubt the space program existed.

Programming Ruby 1.9 & 2.0: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide (The Facets of Ruby)
by Dave Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 18 Mar. 2016
great does what is says on the cover

Forest of Memory
Forest of Memory

2.0 out of 5 stars very short, 18 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Forest of Memory (Kindle Edition)
This is advertised as a novella. And it was cheap. ish. (1.99 UKP)
But really it's'a short story. And it has no finish. I'll try again but next time I want a complete story. Avoid her short stories...

Mazes for Programmers: Code Your Own Twisty Little Passages
Mazes for Programmers: Code Your Own Twisty Little Passages
by Jamis Buck

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the fun back in programming (as advertised), 24 Jan. 2016
They said this would put the fun back in programming. Well it does. Great read over the christmas holiday period. On the other hand I'm now learning Ruby. Even that looks fun.

Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read with solid technical information, 24 Jan. 2016
Good read. I've onlyrecentlystarted looking at Ruby so hopefully this give me an idiom guide to Ruby. Technical books always have to balance correctness and the avoidance of waffle with fun. This book mangaged it, it's an easy read whilst giving you good solid technical information.

The House of Shattered Wings
The House of Shattered Wings

1.0 out of 5 stars Too long.Too Paris. Too magic., 20 Jan. 2016
Not quite bad enough to dump. Too long to be comfortable. "thank goodness this is nearly over. Oh. I'm only half way".

I assume the author is in love with Paris; all those glimpses of alternative Paris after The War.

Magic. In my book it has to be tightly constained or the author can just use it as a "magic" plot device. "How do I get out of this?!" magic.

Sometimes I had to count the fingers to tell one drug-addicted-shy-but-magikally-endowed female character from another.

I guess most of this book is setup for the rest of the n-ology. I won't be reading it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2016 12:01 AM BST

Vestige
Vestige

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Pot Boiler, 20 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Vestige (Kindle Edition)
I rarely am unable to finish a book but this was one. Uninteresting characters, mediocre world building, poorly written. I found the technology frankly bizarre. These are people that conjure an entire space ship and crew out of "a storage buffer". And yet they seem to live like people from the 20th century. The average 10 year-old is more technologically sophisticated than these people.

Maybe there's a plot twist and we will find out the hero is actually mentally deranged.

Family Matters: A Short Story (Greg Mandel)
Family Matters: A Short Story (Greg Mandel)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little Dark, 4 Jan. 2015
Odd most people liked it. I like a lot of Peter Hamilton (though my osteopath says I shouldn't carry more than one of his books at a time) and I *really* like Greg Mandel. But this I found vaguely "nasty". I know bad guys are supposed to be bad. But I didn't really like Grag Mandel either. He seemed much darker and out of his usual character. Plot seemed thin.

So no, *not* a good addition to the series.

Paradox: Stories Inspired by the Fermi Paradox
Paradox: Stories Inspired by the Fermi Paradox

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Slapped Together, 4 Jan. 2015
Disappointing and mostly a bit dull. Some of these stories were really reaching to have anything to do with the Fermi Paradox (one forms the impression some people got the request from the publisher, reached to the back of the drawer, pulled out that old story that couldn't find a publisher, wacked on some "Fermi Paradox Polish" and shoved it in the post).

None were outstanding.

And a couple of the stories I didn't even understand!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5