Profile for Mr. N. J. Keighley > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. J. Keighley

Mr. N. J. Keighley "Nick Keighley"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Defenders
Defenders

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Mil Sci Fi, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Defenders (Kindle Edition)
My problemis is I find the defenders implausible. They allegedly have an IQ of 140 whilst being seemingly easy to out-think. Sometimes.

I'm not really a person to review Mil Sci Fi as I'm not a big fan of the genre. It's very difficult to carry off well. And Defender didn't quite make it.

A lexagraphic complaint. It would have made life easier if the author had capitalised defender. The number of times I mentally tripped up when the defenders were attacking (see what I mean?). When the word is encountered does it refer to someone who is defending something or one of those genengineered thingies that might be behaving quite agressively.

Fairyland
Fairyland

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Long And A Bit Ugly, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fairyland (Kindle Edition)
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't like it. A combination of length (much too long), a nasty premise (genenered "dolls" as servants- often used for sex), complexity (often hard to follow), hard to like (or care about) characters. It *is* clever and multi-layered and zips around a post modern world. The world (apart from the dolls) I almost like.

Read his other stuff- *that's* good

The Traders' War: This Merchant Princes omnibus includes The Clan Corporate and The Merchants' War

5.0 out of 5 stars My Only Disappointment Was It Ended, 28 Feb 2014
Mr Stross constantly surprises and delights me. I read the first book in this series and immediatly down loaded the other two. And read them all. Back to back. A joy. Read other reveiws to find out what it is about. Characters good. World building good. When's the next one!

Terrapin PU Leather Folio Case/Cover/Pouch/Holster for Amazon Kindle Fire 7 inch Tablet - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and competively priced, 22 Feb 2014
I bought this for a friend and she is very happy with it. The order arrived promptly and is as described. It seems to give good protection to the Kindle Fire

The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers (Robert C. Martin)
by Robert C. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little Tedious, 6 Feb 2014
Normally I like Martin's stuff. But this is very heavy on "war stories". He even tells them multiple times! Was the editor asleep or does Bob Martin get a free rein now a days? Frankly I'm glad I borrowed a copy rather than buy a copy. I'd have been upset if I'd paid money for this!

Dhalgren (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Dhalgren (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Samuel R. Delany

1.0 out of 5 stars when does it start making sense?, 17 Dec 2013
Well im trying to read this and it makes no sense! Apparently it becomes incohernt towards the end! Normally I don't read plot summaries. I also don't delete books from my kindle. I"ll make an exception in this case.
Self indulgent twaddle

The C++ Programming Language
The C++ Programming Language
by Bjarne Stroustrup

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book From Bjarne, 19 Oct 2013
My good reviews usually seem to be rather "me too!" but this book seems to have received some unwarranted poor reviews.

Bjarne *can* write, he writes entertainingly about what could have been a rather dry technical subject.

This shouldn't need to said but "programming languages are inherently recursive". Parts are defined in terms of other parts so it's difficult to know where to start. One solution is to do an overview of the language followed by detailed exploration of the individual features. So yes you do encounter things early on that aren't initially explained; they get explained later. Follow the references (did I mention it's wonderfully well referenced?) if it bothers you.

So is it a tutorial or a reference? Yes.

The real star is, of course, C++11 the new(-ish) C++ standard. I tend to look at new standards for my favourite programming languages with a rather jaundiced eye (for instance C99 or R6RS Scheme) but much of C++11 is quite delightful. New algorithms, proper enums (what were K&R thinking?!), theads, lambdas etc. etc.

Buy this book.

Garbage Collection: Algorithms for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management (Computer Science)
by Richard Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 3 Oct 2013
I find it hard to write good reviews. This is simply a brilliant book. It does what it says on the cover. It is the definitive book on garbage collection. What I thought I knew was put into a little dot. Well written, comprehensive, complete (so far as I know).

If you are curious about how these things work underneath; this is the book to read.

The Mad Scientist's Daughter
The Mad Scientist's Daughter

1.0 out of 5 stars really struggled, 3 Oct 2013
as the title. REALLY STRUGGLED. girl meets robot. girl shags robot. Well thats it. But it just goes on and on and on. The theme has been done by many (many many many) SF authors- but far better.

I think people who want to write "literature" are creeping into SF. You are no good at it! Go away! Go and write novels in the 19th or 20th century. Stop polluting science fiction. We want galactic empires- we don't care how you feel.

This time 1 star was what it deserved.

Neptune's Brood
Neptune's Brood

4.0 out of 5 stars seems expensive- but later dropped in price and was pretty good, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Neptune's Brood (Kindle Edition)
well it seems a lot of money. 9UKP even for the kindle edition. Hey no dead trees- it's just a lot of bits! Stross is always a bit ambivalent, sometimes ok (Iron Sunrise) sometimes not (almost everything else). I'll wait for the hype to die down and either purchase on kindle (preferred medium) or wait for the massive tomes to turn up in the charity shops.

Please amazon stop ripping me off!

oh, and one star 'cos amazon forced me to give a rating
****

Well Amazon won't let me post another review so I've edited this one.

This is a great book! Lots of ideas lots of twisty plot and likeable and believable characters.
sympathetic post-humans (well ish) which is hard to carry off. Because who cares about
giant brains in jars?

0 out of 22 people hated my previous review. Which is fair as I hadn't read the book. But
now the price has drpped by a factor of nearly 3, I think my earlier comments were justified. Read it but don't accept silly prices.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 3:35 PM GMT