ARRAY(0xa548b9cc)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Halcyon Murder: Love & Death on a Greek Island
The Halcyon Murder: Love & Death on a Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars The problem with Papachristou's books..., 13 Mar 2014
...I can't sleep at night, not wanting to put it down!
Good plot, well written and excellent insight into Greek culture and island life. A good beach read.
Looking forward to more.

Aegean Abduction - Book 2 (The Aegean Mystery Series)
Aegean Abduction - Book 2 (The Aegean Mystery Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The problem wit E. J. Russell..., 13 Mar 2014
...is that I couldn't sleep, wanting to read the books well into the night!
Yes, it's light - but it gives a lovely insight into Greek and island culture.
Thanks for a great read, I hope you write more.

Carry on up the Kali Strata
Carry on up the Kali Strata

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me nodding along in agreement, 20 Feb 2014
I was intrigued by the title of this book - and James didn't disappoint. As an 'expat' (I hate that word) in Greece myself, I literally found myself nodding along to James's astute and ironic observations of both Greek island lifestyle, plus the tourists who consider themselves locals.
Thoroughly enjoyed this insight into a small Greek island life. For all of you who're familiar with Greece in any way and love its warmth and can't QUITE put your finger on what exactly it IS about Greece, James is here to help you answer that.

Return To The Aegean - Book 1 (The Aegean Mystery Series)
Return To The Aegean - Book 1 (The Aegean Mystery Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars As an expat in Greece, this novel captures the essence of the place perfectly, 20 Feb 2014
I loved this novel. Russell not only correctly weaves her words to show us the Greek culture, but a story of family tensions and how necessary it is to face our past is delicately dealt with.
A perfect read. I shall be sure to download Book 2

In the Shade of the Monkey Puzzle Tree (The Greek Village Collection)
In the Shade of the Monkey Puzzle Tree (The Greek Village Collection)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite "Greek Village Series" thus far, 26 Dec 2013
I've read the whole Greek Village series, and have to say that the insight into Theo, the kafenio owner's life is the one that struck a chord with me the most.
Sara Alexi has the ability to suck you into the character's lives with such a force, you feel sad when the last page has turned.
I could picture and smell the kafenio, I was there with Theo when Alexi cleverly showed us his emotions.

Thank you, Sara, for such a compelling and grabbing read.

Our Man in Orlando (Monday Books)
Our Man in Orlando (Monday Books)
by Hugh Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars A great & frank insight into the British Government's way of thinking abroad, 11 Dec 2013
Hugh Hunter isn't your average civil servant. He's honest, frank and not afraid to make waves. He's not Oxbridge - and he knows what goes on in real life.

Read this: you'll laugh, cry, smile wryly and nod your head in agreement. He's a man with a heart, yes - they do exist in the civil service.

The Sea Sisters
The Sea Sisters

5.0 out of 5 stars "Most emotionally compelling novel this year" is not an understatement, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Sea Sisters (Kindle Edition)
As one who has a turbulent relationship with my own sister, this book - cleverly written in the present day with flashbacks - really struck a cord.
Clarke has the ability to hit you in the solar plexus with her astute observations on sibling rivalry, truly getting to grips and exploring the undercurrents in any family relationship.

Set abroad - this book is both a physical and mental journey. I could not put it down and would highly recommend it to those looking for a good quality read - one that will stay with you, long after the Kindle's been shut down or the last page turned.

Greek Expectations: The Last Moussaka Standing
Greek Expectations: The Last Moussaka Standing

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipe for what to expect from your Greek man & in-laws..., 21 Nov 2013
...with a dollop of well placed dry humour & sarcasm included too.

I liked this book a lot. Although not involved with a Greek man, I live in Greece and laughed out loud at the accurately portrayed examples of life with the Greek man and his extended family.

Botziou manages to turn a potential headache situation into something manageable. Great humour, right up my street.

My Gutsy Story Anthology (My Gutsy Story® Anthology)
My Gutsy Story Anthology (My Gutsy Story® Anthology)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's so refreshing to see others stories of bravery, 5 Nov 2013
A diverse selection of how people have overcome adversity in some way or another and altered their lives. Not in any way 'fairytale,' just simple, real life tales. Some are more serious than others, but as a previous reviewer has noted: who are we to judge what is important or not to an individual?
One thing is for sure: this is a collection of stories from gutsy people - collated by the gutsy Sonia Marsh. If you're looking for a kick up the backside, but from a non-self-help style of book, this is it.

Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line
Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and sarcastic, 2 Nov 2013
Just how I like my books to be. Good British humour and an insight into the bureaucratic procedures of British policing. I live in Greece now - it's refreshing to see that it's not just this country that has ridiculous bureaucracy in place.

Liked the diary format and how a potentially boring set of procedures has been recounted in an intriguing way. Yes, a little repetitive (OK, we GET that the author's frustrated by the system, just as much as the reader is starting to get frustrated by the author being frustrated), otherwise an entertaining read that will leave a wry smile on your face.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5