ARRAY(0xa1b604a4)

Zen Kyu Maestro: An English Teacher's Spanish Adventure
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars NOW I get the title!, 5 Oct 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
Wasn't sure at first...the title, I must admit, initially put me off.
But don't let it - it's a VERY clever play on words and as you read through this tale of an English teacher struggling with life as a foreigner-and trying desperately to teach Spanish kids in English, you'll understand the meaning of the title by the end.

For anyone who's ever taught English as a Foreign Language, lived abroad and/or has kids of their own attending a school in a foreign land, this is a great read for you.

The Art of Becoming Homeless (The Greek Village Collection)
The Art of Becoming Homeless (The Greek Village Collection)
Price: 2.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Another inside look at the characters surrounding the Greek Village saga, 17 Sep 2013
Alexi has once again delivered a read that keeps you hooked from the outset.
This time focusing on Michelle, the protagonist's best friend, we see how Greece weaves its magic spell over her - how she questions her place in life, meets a young man from the village and we see their relationship develop.
This time, "The Art of Becoming Homeless" is not located in the village, so we see a different side of Greece.

Sara has a canny way of understanding human nature and weaving the words together to create a relatable tale.

Murder in the Chapel: Love & Life on a Greek Island
Murder in the Chapel: Love & Life on a Greek Island
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me hooked, 8 Sep 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
A "who done it" on a fictitious Greek island. Loved the book - as I live in Greece myself I found the author painted a vivid picture of both place and characters.

Highly recommended...will keep you guessing and not wanting to put it down.

A Window to Love (Windows)
A Window to Love (Windows)
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 2 Sep 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
I'm not usually a fan or erotic fiction - but I have to say that Fifi Flowers has changed that opinion.
What made this story stand out was the fact it also had a storyline, and an interesting one.
Having said that, I looked forward to reading the raunchy parts!

Thanks, Fifi, for a quality read. I look forward to the next book in the series.

The Old Fortress Dog
The Old Fortress Dog
Price: 1.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, heart-warming read, 2 Sep 2013
I didn't know what to expect when I started "The Old Fortress Dog." I knew it was a children's book - so as an adult it was with some trepidation I started the first chapter. But I was hooked from the outset.

As a Grecophile this heart-warming story set in Corfu is told from Leonidas, the dogs point of view. The prose is suitable for both YA and adults alike. Not only did I learn more about the history of this fascinating island, I marvelled at the author's ability to tap into teenage boy angst and shyness and the sensitive nature of the developing relationship & understanding between man and his dog. It brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for this - I shall look forward to more in the series.

Things Can Only Get Feta: Two journalists and their crazy dog living through the Greek crisis
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting insight into the Mani, 27 Aug 2013
Marjory's book provides the reader with an insight into Greek culture, whilst showing us a history of the region.

It's clear through the narrative (a good mix of description & dialogue) that Marjory & her partner loved the region, and Greece as a country. Great for learning about local Greek culture and its people.

Papadopoulos and Sons [DVD]
Papadopoulos and Sons [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Dillane
Price: 10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Riches to rags - with a relevant modern day theme, 13 Aug 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Papadopoulos and Sons [DVD] (DVD)
As a loyal Grecophile, I was immensely looking forward to "Papadopoulos & Sons" - and I wasn't disappointed.

Dillane makes a predictable transition from the arrogant 'have' businessman (who makes his disdain clear for the 'have not's' early on in the film) to the family man with values, and yet whilst predictable, the process is quality viewing.

Stoppard was excellently cast as the Accountant with no morals (you know of any that have?) with strong portrayals from all the cast.

A riches to rags tale with a very relevant modern day take. "Papadopoulos..." shows the true strength and hospitality of the Greek community in times of hardship.

Poignant, touching and whilst skirting on the 'cheesy,' I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to friends.

In Between Jobs
In Between Jobs
Price: 2.03

4.0 out of 5 stars An intense, nothing held back read, 6 Aug 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: In Between Jobs (Kindle Edition)
Having read the synopsis, I had an idea what to expect, but no idea how much of a punch in the solar plexus this book would create. I literally felt, many times, like I'd been delivered a blow, such is Pow's ability to convey the torment of the character: the disdain he holds not only for the world, but of himself.

Cleverly written so that the novel comes full circle, it hooked me from the beginning. Warning: be in a strong frame of mind to read.

Oracle
Oracle
Price: 3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick, enjoyable read, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Oracle (Kindle Edition)
I found myself warming to the protagonist..."Oracle" was an enjoyable read. Sometimes a little OTT, especially in the description of the 'bad guy' and his visions, but overall the book kept me hooked and wanting to read more. Some twists and turns to keep me going.

Libby's Life: Taking Flight
Libby's Life: Taking Flight
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Read over three days!, 30 July 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
I was upset when I finished this book! I read it whilst spending an extended amount of time away from home, and I laughed allowed. Kate's prose has a knack of enduring you to her...you warm to her instantly.

Heartwarming without being too gooey, it was just what I needed. Thanks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5