Profile for Peter Birchwood > Reviews

Content by Peter Birchwood

Peter Birchwood

Page: 1 | 2
Enchanted Immortals (Book 1)
Enchanted Immortals (Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 10 July 2014
It's OK. You can't beat the price of book 1 so I also invested in The Vortex and the Vampyre and it was during the Vortex that I came to a screeching stop. The sections labelled Newcastle, England 1809 are ridiculous having no relation to England of the early 19th century. For example, Raccoons are not and never have been native to England. I'll omit the other howlers for fear of spoiling anyone's enjoyment for the book itself is well written and the plot interesting but the author has to do at least some basic research if she is going to put her characters in countries other than the US.

The Troops of Midian: Lucan's flight to freedom
The Troops of Midian: Lucan's flight to freedom

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but..., 4 July 2014
This had interesting pieces written about in in the UK newspapers so I bought it. It's well written but the only thing that hangs it together are the "diaries/journals" of Maggs and Gurney which read as though they are fiction and may well be so. Take these out and you have a very short book with interesting historical notes about the background of the Lucan affair tied in with events in Greece of the same period which, apart from the diaries etc have very little to do with the events surrounding the murder case and the disappearance of Lord Lucan.
I can certainly believe that with the help of his friends, Lucan managed to flee and may even be alive still somewhere in the world. However this book does not convince me that this is how he did it.

The Hustlers: Gambling, Greed and the Perfect Con
The Hustlers: Gambling, Greed and the Perfect Con

3.0 out of 5 stars the hustlers; society gamblers, 30 Jun 2014
Brief comment: the book is great and i am glad to have it but the editing is appalling. If the print edition is like this someone doesnt know how to correct mistakes

The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups
The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups

4.0 out of 5 stars Cover-ups, real and unreal., 4 Nov 2013
Good book with a lot of information that I didn't recognise. Like the other books from this author a basic guide to learning what THEY are doing to us but also significantly sceptical. One of his stories involves a student falling down a hole at the Crystal Palace and finding a train carriage complete with dead Victorians. Whether the train exists I don't know but the named student certainly wasn't born within two years of when she was reported to be. Looks like fiction to me.

Nazi Secrets: An Occult Breach in the Fabric of History
Nazi Secrets: An Occult Breach in the Fabric of History

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 4 Oct 2013
I thought this would be the standard "Nazi UFO's from Antartica" but it's not: it is sensible, gives good explanations about the very real German aviation experiments and is good to read. There are some reading glitches which may be due to an editor or translator as I suspect that English is not the author's first language but I would reccomend it especially to the people behind "Ancient Aliens" and similar shows.

Missing Marlene (A Jane Stuart and Winky Mystery)
Missing Marlene (A Jane Stuart and Winky Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Series, 4 Oct 2013
Well-written and interesting background of a literary agents work. I can't see that Winky contributes much to the plot but in another book of the series I did find out why our cat goes crazy at times.

Air Disaster: The Propeller Era
Air Disaster: The Propeller Era

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 4 Oct 2013
Several cases that I hadn't heard about including the dreadfull series of Stratocruiser disasters. My only faulting would be the overly technical nature of some parts.

Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11
Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11

1.0 out of 5 stars Gives Conspiracy theories a bad name., 4 Oct 2013
There are a lot of real mysteries about 911: why were there so few passengers on the planes, still no CCTV footage of the Pentagon etc but this is a conglomoration of nonsense. The author and the "experts" that he names should be ashamed of their shoddy research. Don't buy this.

The Moulding Of A Life
The Moulding Of A Life

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, 2 Oct 2013
WOW! A great little book! There are no boring bits, you want to continue reading to see what happens next. It flows together very well and like a good chocolate you want to savour every bite. Right now I'm reading the last chapter and I'm sorry that it's coming to an end.
The descriptions are excellent, I had empathy towards the author and I loved the funny parts. It has everything really; from stirring emotions, humour, story-telling to scary moments and cpurage as well. I would reccomend this book, providing that you are not put off by some of the proof-reading.
By Maria Birchwood.

Where the Sky is Born: Living in the Land of the Maya
Where the Sky is Born: Living in the Land of the Maya

4.0 out of 5 stars Puerto Morales, 24 Jun 2013
The first thing is of course that I really liked this book. I know most of the area and did on one occasion try to visit a bookshop in Puerto Morales said to have in stock a few thousand books but which unfortunately was closed on the day we arrived. I wonder if the author owned it? I also suspect that I have met the architect and developer mentioned in the book at a Swiss/Italian restaurant in Cancun. This area is fascinating and the people are so nice and I would advise everyone to read this book and then travel there.
Peter Birchwood