Profile for Robbie Kendall > Reviews

You're All Invited: Margot's Recipes for Entertaining
by Margot Henderson
Price: 17.00

3.0 out of 5 stars "Recipes" for entertaining, 14 Mar 2013
I, like others, had high hopes for this book as I saw 'entertaining' in the title, read some reviews, and thought that it might give some useful tips about how to cook for more than my family. This, it turns out, was not to be. Though the recipes do seem like they would be good, which is why it receives three stars, as for entertaining, it is a failure.

There are ten sample menus in the book; see how many of them fit in your standard year:

16th Birthday, October / 50 guests;
Dinner for a Gallery Opening (Vegetarian), October / 200 guests;
Barbecue in the Rain, July / 90 guests;
Buffet Menu, October / 80 guests;
Winter Wedding, December / 150 guests

There are ten main chapter headings, each with not much more than half of a page of introduction before the recipes begin (with only one real exception): Bread, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Celebratory Dinners, Puddings and Cakes, Cheese, Parties, Picnics and Barbecues, and, finally, List of Menus. The single exception is the chapter on cheese which has two pages of introduction - until you realize that these two pages encompass the entire chapter; even the menus take up three pages.

It seems to me that this was either a quick, toss off of a book, or that a lot of care went into the recipes and the rest was written, perhaps, in as little as a few hours with a deadline looming to turn the manuscript over to the publisher. Either way, significantly more time needs to be spent on writing this book before it begins being anything other than its title suggests. And though these may be the author's recipes, and, simply, nothing more, until a connection is made allowing us to utilize them, the whole remains less than the sum of its parts. Here's hoping that a quite substantial rewrite is in the works which will allow us, the reader and cook at home, to use this work to entertain.

Lucky Me: My Life With--And Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
Lucky Me: My Life With--And Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
by Sachi Parker
Price: 15.75

1.0 out of 5 stars No stars at all, 6 Feb 2013
"It's a painful moment for me as a mother and as someone who values the truth. I'm shocked and heartbroken that my daughter would make statements about me that are virtually all fiction. I've praised her lovingly and truthfully in my own autobiographies. I'm sorry to see such a dishonest, opportunistic effort from my daughter for whom I've only ever wanted the best." - Shirley MacLaine
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2013 2:15 PM GMT

Downton Abbey - Series 3 [Blu-ray]
Downton Abbey - Series 3 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 11.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero Stars for Amazon.co.uk (the mandatory one star is too much), 16 Nov 2012
Contrary to what was listed as the Region Code up to the release of Downton Abbey Series 3, and contrary to Series 1 and 2 and the Christmas special, this is playable only in Europe and nowhere else in the world. Had this been announced in advance, I, as well as most other Americans, Canadians et al, would never have ordered it. Bad show Amazon!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 8:21 PM GMT