Profile for M. Andersen > Reviews

Content by M. Andersen

M. Andersen "Margret" (Norway)

Page: 1 | 2
Spanish Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Spanish the Fun Way!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive expansion pack!, 16 Feb. 2016
Some of the stories are a bit silly and with very short sentences, I felt that this really is a book for beginners. The set up is good, with just some key vocabulary given, thus encouraging the reader to read to grasp the general content but not check every word, as parallel text books sometimes allow the reader to do. But the test questions are disappointing - they are so easy that I doubt they are worth the space.

Unlike some other readers, such as Polyglot Planet Publishing's Learn Spanish, which provide a free online audio of the texts, Olly Richards offers his "expansion pack" of flash cards and audio book for a "bargain price" of $20. And does not offer any trial offer or free examples to allow the reader to evaluate this.

Stories from Spain/Historias de Espana, Second Edition (Side by Side Bilingual Books)
by Genevieve Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, authentic legends from Spain, 8 Feb. 2016
I really loved these very charming legends! I've now been teaching myself Spanish, using the Duolingo and Memrise programmes, for about 10 months and so much appreciate having found this set of about 20 legends from many districts and cities in Spain. This is a dual language book, but I found it was best to cover the English translation and only read it when I had finished the Spanish. Inevitably I had mistranslated a few words but that usually didn't matter at all and somehow realizing the correct meaning afterwards, cemented the words in my memory.

Selected Readings In Easy Spanish Vol 1: Volume 1 (Spanish Lite Series)
Selected Readings In Easy Spanish Vol 1: Volume 1 (Spanish Lite Series)
by Alvaro Parra Pinto

4.0 out of 5 stars Great incentive to read more Spanish, 8 Feb. 2016
I have been learning Spanish, using the Duolingo and Memrise programmes, for about 10 months. These selected readings are at just the right level, to present a challenge and yet provide the incentive to read more. I find that I need to look up 2 - 4 words each page but otherwise manage to understand the gist of the story on the first reading, and to enjoy it when re-reading immediately afterwards.
I intend to order several more from this Spanish Lite Series.

Ravensburger Noddy 4 in a Box Jigsaw Puzzles
Ravensburger Noddy 4 in a Box Jigsaw Puzzles

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives a great sense of achievement, 15 Feb. 2013
Ravensburger Noddy 4 in a Box Jigsaw PuzzlesWe have two of these Noddy 4 in a box jigsaws sets. My grandchildren from about two and a half love them. They begin by managing the 6 piece puzzle and then have some help from me with the 9,12 and 16 piece pictures. They love to set out the completed jigsaws on the table and see how many they manage. Surprisingly quickly they want to try all four alone. The only thing I miss is numbers on the back of the pieces - I have written numbers one to four on the pieces so that it is easy to find the relevant parts of each picture quickly. I find that the older children help the younger to sort the pieces into the individual pictures and this in itself is an achievement.

Spot's Big Nursery Song Book (Spot Sound Books)
Spot's Big Nursery Song Book (Spot Sound Books)
by Eric Hill
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad it is out of print, 15 Feb. 2013
I bought Spot's Big Nursery Song Book when my eldest grandchild was one year old. I now have five grandchildren and they all just love this wonderful book which contains all granny's favourite songs. The children have discovered how to press the buttons and compare the pictures on the buttons to the song pages. After five years of very frequent use, I would love to buy another copy - although it is still in good repair and we have changed the battery twice! I'd also love to be able to give this book to other families. Spot's Big Nursery Song Book (Spot Sound Books) Can't the publishing company reissue please?

Little Red Hen
Little Red Hen
by Jonathan Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 6 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Little Red Hen (Paperback)
My three year old grandson loves this traditional tale and especially enjoys lifting the flap at the right moment! We have about 6 books from the series and although they are all popular reads, his favourite remains "The Gingerbread Man".

Saints, Scholars and Schizophrenics: Mental Illness in Rural Ireland
Saints, Scholars and Schizophrenics: Mental Illness in Rural Ireland
by Nancy Scheper-hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars A close look at life in a rural village in Ireland, 6 Jan. 2010
It's easy to understand why the people of this rural region in Ireland strongly objected to Scheper-Hughes' conclusions, written after living closely with the community for a year in the 1970s and brought up to date in the latest edition. As an Irish woman living far from my native country, I found "Saints, Scholars and Schizophrenics: Mental Illness in Rural Ireland" absolutely fascinating, at times deeply sad but throughout I recognised behaviour and consequences prevalent in a different region of the island and indeed in other isolated communities in other parts of the world. Scheper-Hughes writes engagingly and brings to life the various personalities so that, once begun, this is a book that is difficult to set aside, with conclusions that stay with the reader long afterwards.

The Gingerbread Man (Flip-Up Fairy Tales)
The Gingerbread Man (Flip-Up Fairy Tales)
by Estelle Corke

5.0 out of 5 stars new version of a classic, 3 July 2009
This is a really lovely version of the classic tale. It retains all the elements that have made it so beloved by little children and the idea of lifting the flaps at the right moment gives an extra thrill. My little grandson of two and a half loves it and is beginning to chime in with the rhyme - run, run as fast as you can... He also enjoys finding the fox on every page. This is a winner and I am looking forward to exploring some more from the same series.

YNA Macbeth (York Notes Advanced)
YNA Macbeth (York Notes Advanced)
by William Shakespeare

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable when revising the play, 22 May 2009
I thoroughly recommend that my IB students use the Advanced York Notes for their first revision of Macbeth. They must then return to the play itself when doing their final revision before the oral examination.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2010 4:47 PM GMT

Tanamera (Hodder Great Reads)
Tanamera (Hodder Great Reads)
by Noel Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Singapore in the '30s and '40s, 22 May 2009
This is a great way to learn about Singapore's history and culture. Almost 800 pages but I was so sorry when I came to the end...

Page: 1 | 2