Profile for Outnumbered > Reviews

Melissa & Doug Shapes Chunky Puzzle
Melissa & Doug Shapes Chunky Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite puzzle, 28 Mar. 2010
= Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is my 20 month old's favourite puzzle from Melissa & Doug. He has other ones with pegs that he also likes but he seems to like handling the outlines of these chunky ones. Matching the shapes to their correct places is very easy because of their size and as an extra help/teaching aid, each shape also have their own colours to match up with. Lovely quality, as with all Melissa & Doug toys.

The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
by Sean Covey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Mar. 2010
This books is great for children aged roughly 4-10. It's full of vibrant characters and pictures and the stories help children to think and eventually take heed of the 7 habits. The principles it instills such as responsibility and respect are things I've constantly tried to instruct my children on, but it can be hard to teach such things when children only understand them in context. Then when they do understand, they always seem to forget them! This book teaches in a fun way using situations and characters they can relate to, so it's easier for them to appreciate what they're learning. After every story is also a parents' corner for brief Q&A sessions to help their understanding further. A must-have book for parents.

Melissa and Doug Beginner Pattern Blocks
Melissa and Doug Beginner Pattern Blocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for young learners, 25 Mar. 2010
My toddler likes puzzles so I thought this would be good for him to play with shapes. The shapes are large enough for him to grip confidently with one hand and the recessed spaces make it easy for him to fit in the shapes in properly (although he does need a little help sometimes).

I really like this set because he'll be able to see how shapes are used in context when he's a little older and he can actually hold and feel shapes (in flat 3D) as opposed to just looking at them in books. He's only 20 months so still too young to really get the full educational value of this but he does like playing with it and will sit happily with it for a good while, which is really just want I wanted for his age.

The only negative I can think of is that this doesn't come with a lid, hence 4 stars. I find this a bit strange with a toy that has lots of pieces since they can easily get lost if not carefully stored away, ideally on a shelf.

Developing Numeracy: Calculations: Year 2 Activities for the Daily Maths Lesson
Developing Numeracy: Calculations: Year 2 Activities for the Daily Maths Lesson
by Peter Patilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home use, 25 Mar. 2010
For homeschooling (or if you're a parent doing extra work with your kids at home after school) this series is really good. I came across the whole of the Developing Levels range years ago and liked them straight away but always felt that maybe I could find something better, something more fun/manipulative, i.e. something more than just 'sit down and write'. But after a good few years trying out different workbooks from DK, Folens, other Andrew Brodie publications, etc. I've always come back to using these books. I use these books as my primary teaching tool but supplement it with different other things I come across on the internet.

The books themselves are not only just 'sit down and write' and are quite fun compared to others, with different types of activities and not just 'fill in the blanks'. There are board game type pages, puzzles, cut out and paste, colour-in questions and lots of other different things. Pictures and characters on the pages can also be coloured in, so that's something else to keep kids busy if they're inclined. Took me a while to really appreciate that this is just what we needed as I've not come across another activity-based workbook (which is importantly photocopiable!) that covers all the National Curriculum requirements like this. Highly recommended.

[This same review has been used in other Developing Literacy and Developing Numeracy books. Like them so much I've bought them all!]

Developing Literacy: Word-Level Activities for the Literacy Hour: 6
Developing Literacy: Word-Level Activities for the Literacy Hour: 6
by Ray Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home use, 25 Mar. 2010

Amadeus 360° Junior
Amadeus 360° Junior

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works, 24 Mar. 2010
My toddler is 20 months and has been able to drink from cups for a while but only with me hovering nervously next to him to stop drips from escaping or to stop him from dipping his fingers in and playing with his drink or to stop him from tipping the cup completely and spilling everything. This cup solves those problems as he can feel like his older siblings and drink from a cup without any spills. Even shaking it without the lid on doesn't have an effect. He has to sip on the rim (from any part) for the drink to come out. No more worries about spills. Not sure if it'd suit as a first cup for young babies because they tend to need a spout (I'd recommend the Tommee Tippee First Cup for that) but this is perfect for toddlers. Buy this!

Junior Science Book 1
Junior Science Book 1
by Sue Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for science!, 24 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Junior Science Book 1 (Paperback)
Like the previous reviewer, I'm also a homeschooler and have scoured through the net to find suitable science workbooks that incorporated information that wouldn't bog us down, included sufficient review questions and had a concise teacher's guide that didn't get me in a muddle and dreading to use it. I've tried other workbooks/teaching series' from Dorling Kindersley, CGP, Collins Education and this series from Galore Park (the pupil book and teacher's resource CD) is the best I've found by far. The others were either uninspiring or didn't include everything I needed. I still supplement the work we cover with other activities, but this is good for covering everything they're supposed to know for their age. The teacher's CD is quite expensive if bought new so I'd say it isn't absolutely necessary to buy if your budget is tight. The pupil book is brilliant.

Learning Resources Lowercase Alphabet Tracing Stamps
Learning Resources Lowercase Alphabet Tracing Stamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for young writers, 23 Mar. 2010
Stamps are always a big hit for children so these are a fun, more interactive way of getting your child interested in the alphabet, handwriting and even spelling. This set is much more handy than using/finding handwriting software to type your own letters/words to print out and much faster than drawing out the faint dots yourself! The stamps themselves are quite robust (they've been thrown and smashed on the floor a few times) but the plastic case can easily crack or break. This set is also actually quite small, the box is 16cm x 14 cm, but the size of the letters is fine for children who have naturally small handwriting. There's also a jumbo sized set for very young learners or for those who still need more fine motor skills practice. Just make sure you buy washable, non-toxic stamp pads for your little ones else you could find permanent ink stains all over your furniture!

Spectrum Spelling Grade 1
Spectrum Spelling Grade 1
by Spectrum

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found so far, 23 Mar. 2010
I'd been looking around for a while for workbooks for spelling and purchased different titles from Andrew Brodie as well as elsewhere but I've found that they almost always only have pages and pages of boring copy work using the Look Learn Cover technique. Then there are workbooks that focus more on word-level aspects (phonics, grammar) as well as spelling but I wanted something that gave more concentrated spelling practice. I only came across Spectrum Spelling because of a recommendation from a fellow American homeschooler and I was wary at first using an American spelling programme because of their different spellings for certain words. But since there's many, many more words that are spelt the same I ended up not worrying about this aspect. It's a useful lesson to see the differences between American and British spelling anyway. It's important to buy the correct grade though since Grade 1 is equivalent to Year 2 here.

So about the book: there are about 30 lessons covering 10 different words each time and there's 4 pages per lesson. In each lesson the children have to read and copy the words, fill in sentences with missing words (putting the spelling words in context), write out their own sentences with the words and then have other different types of exercises for having fun with the words (finding rhyming words, unscrambling words, dictionary practice etc.). There are review lessons, a dictionary section, answer pages and a black and white certificate at the back pages. The pages are also scored so you could easily photocopy the lessons or store them in your own filing system.

All in all, I quite like this series. There is still a certain amount of repetition with how each lesson is presented but there's some variety too so that the kids won't keep expecting all the same exercises. I also like how they use different exercises to practice the same words, so even though they have to write the words several times each lesson, there's a little more thinking involved than just learning by rote.

Spectrum Handwriting Programme: Reception B Book 2 (Spectrum Handwriting Programme)
by Sue Peet

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Handwriting Series, 29 Sept. 2009
I home educate my children and have tried lots of other handwriting books, workbooks and programs but was never entirely satisfied with them until I found the Spectrum Handwriting series. This is the best I've so far used. Here are a few things I really like about it:

1) It has a gradual approach with each book building up from the previous one. As most other handwriting books aren't part of a series, it can be hard to find the next suitable level for your child to use.
2) There's lots of practice with about 60+ pages in each book. Other books seem very lacking in comparison and won't give enough practice in one skill before jumping on to the next. It's also perfect for daily/weekly practice.
3) Everything you need is in one book as children can write on the pages - no need for separate exercise books.
4) It's photocopiable, so perfect if you need more than one copy, no need to buy lots of the same book.
5) Each page has a little 'How did you do?' section for children to tick. This is useful to see because you'll be able to see how happy they are with their writing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3