Profile for LurcherLady > Reviews

Content by LurcherLady

LurcherLady "veggieburger" (Sheffield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TERRY PRATCHETT: SERIES READING ORDER: MY READING CHECKLIST: DISCWORLD SERIES, THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD SERIES, TERRY PRATCHETT'S OTHER BOOKS BASED ON DISCWORLD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful, 6 April 2016
OK, only 99p, but I bought this expecting the books to be listed according to which series they're in, adult or children. I accidentally bought one of the children's books, and wanted a definitive list of the adult books to avoid doing that again. This didn't help at all.

Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Cobalt) - Includes Special Offers
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Cobalt) - Includes Special Offers

3.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, but you'll need an alternative diary!, 14 Jan. 2016
I bought this as my iPod Touch is no longer supported so some apps don't work, and the Kindle is a lot cheaper than an iPhone or iPad. It works well for email, web browsing and the BBC radio iPlayer.
The one thing I don't do with it is read books! I still use the iPod for that because this Kindle is too heavy and too big to hold comfortably in one hand.
They say it fits in a pocket, but it's too big and heavy for my pockets.
The camera is rubbish. I didn't expect a lot, but assumed it would be at least as good as the old iPod one.
But the worst thing is the diary. I've missed a vet's appointment (luckily just a check-up), and a meeting, because the available sounds for the reminder are too quiet (even when set to maximum volume) and too short. My iPod I could hear anywhere in the house, but I can miss the reminder on the Kindle even when it's on a table right next to me. I now have to set an alarm on the clock as well as put an entry in the diary!
So, it's value for money. But very frustrating!

The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't let me zoom in on the thing it says I need to zoom in on!, 11 Sept. 2015
A friend recommended this and I got it as soon as I got my Kindle. First of all, it's very dark - I find it quiet hard to see anything! I've found a few items and deployed them, but it looked like one of the cabinet's feet was different, so I wanted to zoom in on it. This seems impossible. When I try, the picture twirls and I get a different part of the cabinet enlarged. I assuemd the foot was a red herring, and that the gaem won't let you zoom in on anythign that isn't useful. And then I clicked on the "?" button and the clue was that one of the feet is different!
Is this a bug? I've got a brand-new Kindle Fire HD6.

The Norm Chronicles: Stories and numbers about danger
The Norm Chronicles: Stories and numbers about danger

5.0 out of 5 stars should be required reading for all journalists, 10 May 2015
For anyone worried by press reports of air or train crashes, but happy to drive a car, this should put risks in a more reasonable framework.

In Her Shadow
In Her Shadow

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect portrayal of teenage love, infatuation and misunderstanding, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: In Her Shadow (Kindle Edition)
The adult years don't ring so true, but the childhood and teenage years are agonisingly true about friendship, infatuation, love and betrayal.

The Better Angels of Our Nature: The Decline of Violence In History And Its Causes

4.0 out of 5 stars reasons to be cheerful, 5 Jun. 2014
It's very heartening, in a society where the media constantly make us fearful of paedophiles, rapists, murderers and terrorists, to read about how much less violent the world is now than ever before.
I've only given 4 stars because this book is written in a very academic fashion, and Pinker never uses 1 syllable where 4 would do! This makes a fascinating story quite hard going.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Feb. 2014
Where were the jokes? Sorry, Terry, I love you to bits, but this isn't anywhere up to your usual standards.

Pantanal Wildlife: A Visitor's Guide to Brazil's Great Wetland (Bradt Travel Guides (Wildlife Guides))
by James Lowen

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor photos and hard to read, 23 Feb. 2014
I'm surprised by the other reviews. Perhaps they're for an earlier print? My copy (which I've now sold), had photos which were very poorly printed. The text is quite small, and you need to "break" the spine to open the book out to read it. Very disappointing.

Notes from an Exhibition
Notes from an Exhibition

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, even after a third reading!,, 9 Nov. 2013
I live the way the narrative moves backwards and forwards in time. It's like a jigsaw - the picture gradually emerging as you get more pieces.

Mystery Mile
Mystery Mile

1.0 out of 5 stars Very much of its time, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Mystery Mile (Kindle Edition)
Much of the slang, from the toffs, yokels and London working class is incomprehensible.
The casual racism (did you know you could recognise a Turk by the shape of his head?) and snobbery are very much of its time, but is quite shocking now.
The writing is strange, even allowing for the time it was written - I don't believe so many words have changed their meaning in the intervening period, so Allingham must have used words she didn't really understand just because they sounded good (or clever).
Weird character names - why?
Silly plot device of calling a house Redding Knights, and placing it in a village called Kepesake. It would work in a comedy, but here just looks as if the author clung to using a particular artefact, and had to come up with a rediculous explanation.
Campion, our hero, is not a likeable character, and I didn't care about his fate. It's a brave move to have an unsympathetic main character, but I don't think it works here. He comes across as a poor man's Peter Whimsey - I don't know which was created first, but Dorothy L Sayers made a much better fist of it, in the characterisation, the writing and her plots.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3