Profile for dwmw2 > Reviews

Content by dwmw2

dwmw2

Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver,3D (discontinued by manufacturer)
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver,3D (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, 20 Jan 2014
I'm mostly impressed with this. It's very capable and configurable and I can mostly make it Do The Right Thing, although it lets itself down in a couple of respects.

Firstly, the Zone 2 output is too limited. All I wanted was a line output with the *same* signal that's playing on the main speakers, so I can switch on the amp in the other room when I want to listen in there too. But that doesn't work. You can set it to 'Source', but it doesn't output anything at all when the incoming audio is from HDMI -- so when I'm using the Sky box as a radio, I can't listen in the other room.

I could solve this for the Sky box by running a separate audio cable, since that does have phono outputs. But that doesn't work for the devices which have no line audio output, such as my Bluray player and Chromecast. I found a workaround for those by using a separate HDMI audio decoder (B00ATRH2WS), on the 'Sub' HDMI output of the amp with its analog outputs routed back *into* the amp to be fed out to Zone 2. That external decoder really *shouldn't* have been necessary since the amp is decoding the digital signal *anyway*.

And even then, the Zone 2 setup on the amp lets me down because it wouldn't let me select *which* analog input to feed to Zone 2 for each primary selection. So I had to get an HDMI audio decoder with *two* analog outputs, juggle things around so that the Chromecast was on a source selection with its analog sockets on the *back* (it was previously 'AUX'), and feed the analog outputs from the decoder into the relevant sockets on the back of the AMP. A complex and not entirely future-proof way to work around a failing of the Onkyo receiver.

The other big problem with this receiver is that it is entirely insecure. When plugged into the network, I (or more to the point anyone else) could have fairly much complete control over it, and over anything it could control with CEC, from *anywhere* on the Internet. There wasn't even a *password*.

Having worked around the above issues, however, I'm very pleased with it. And the remote control does almost everything, although it could really do with a 'record' button for the Sky box and then it'd be the only one I need.

Genuine Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 I9505 Phone Battery 3.8V 2600mAh Li-ion
Genuine Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 I9505 Phone Battery 3.8V 2600mAh Li-ion
Offered by Accessories-4-All

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine NFC-capable battery, 21 Aug 2013
Unlike some others which I had to return, this one really *does* appear to be a Samsung battery, and NFC works with it.

VicTsing Dual USB Data Synchronice Charger Charge Charging Cradle Dock Station + Spare Battery Charging Slot For Samsung Galaxy S4 SIV i9500 Phone
Offered by VICTECH

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit UK model Galaxy S4., 21 Aug 2013
This dock does not fit the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505, which is what I believe all the UK networks are shipping. The battery can only be inserted with a large amount of force into the too-small slot, while the holder for the phone itself is too *large* instead, and the phone doesn't charge because it falls backwards against the back of its support and the connection is lost.

The description has now been updated with the manufacturer's claim that this dock only fits the I9500 -- which I could only buy "off-network" when I took a quick look for it.

I'm slightly confused by that claim anyway, since the I9500 and I9505 have identical dimensions according to every online resource I can find: 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm.

Despite this, the vendor was very helpful and provided a prompt refund. I'd buy from them again, but not this item.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 2:20 PM GMT

Kidsleep Classic Nightlight/Alarm Clock in Blue
Kidsleep Classic Nightlight/Alarm Clock in Blue
Offered by BabySecurity

3.0 out of 5 stars Baby likes it; I'm not so sure., 29 April 2013
My two-year-old daughter likes this clock. She understands the concept of "Bib-bib night night" and "Bib-bib wake up" and at least the *theory* that she should follow suit and stay in bed until the bunny wakes.

However, I'm not so fond. When she's woken in the night and I'm comforting her, I want to know what the time is. That's why I was looking for a clock in the first place, when I came across this one. Although there's a tiny LCD readout on this one, it's not backlit -- and even if it was, it's so small that it would be fairly much impossible to read it while I have a baby on my shoulder. So it's a clock that doesn't actually tell me the time.

It's also extremely suboptimal that it's mains powered without even a battery *backup*, so even the shortest of power blips will reset it and stop it working correctly. Not to mention the wires across her bedroom to put it where she can see it from bed.

And when she's had a good night's sleep but happens to wake a few minutes before the bunny does, obviously I want to let her get up immediately rather than making her wait that few minutes longer. So what I really want to do is flick a switch to wake the bunny *now*, so she doesn't learn that it's OK to get up while the bunny is asleep. But I can't do that either.

So although my daughter is really taken with this, I'm quite disappointed overall. It could have been a lot better.