Profile for Big Ben > Reviews

Content by Big Ben
Top Reviewer Ranking: 411

Big Ben "fly_mo" (Bedford, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele Mahogany
Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele Mahogany

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Uke, well worth the 80-odd quid we paid, 5 Jan. 2015
Paid around 80 quid cash to a high street dealer, and it came with a good quality hard case.
This is top quality craftsmanship, one of the best-made instruments I own after a long career in the industry.

The Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele was the solution to my aging and arthritic fingers - my first uke was a 'GemUke' given to me in the 1950s, it was a small banjo-ukulele that I struggled to play when my hands grew to adult size, eventually switching to guitar in the 1960s. Still got the GemUke, but very rarely play it.

This tenor uke has a string spacing and action that enable me to perform all the stuff I could do as a kid, and more! Much nearer a guitar in feel.
It has a full, resonant tone that varies dramatically with the right-hand style employed. Bright as you like, but very full and rounded with thumb strumming. Oh, and pretty loud, too.

So, I really do like this Uke. I like it very much!
Other Uke players tell me it sounds wonderful - and one offered to swap! No deal...

It's finely made, with excellent fit and finish, but all very simply and elegantly done.

Criticisms?
I had planned to try a Linear tuning with a suitable set of strings (low bass, not re-entrant tuning), but the bridge is precisely cut for the standard re-entrant tuning, and I'm just not willing to modify a work of art with my doubtful skills.

Recommended?
Oh yes! But do shop around for the best price....
Might be a bit big in the neck for a small child - would suggest you try a Soprano (standard) ukelele in that case.

Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele - B Grade
Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele - B Grade

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent uke, well worth 80-something quid, 4 Jan. 2015
...well, I'm not sure if mine is a 'B' grade, but I paid around 80 quid cash to a high street dealer, and it's immaculate - came with a hard case too...

This Tanglewood TU4 Tenor Ukulele is the solution to aging and arthritic fingers for me - my first uke was a 'GemUke' given to me in the mid 1950s, a banjo ukulele that I struggled to play once my hands grew to adult size, eventually switching to guitar in the 1960s.

This has a string spacing and action that enable me to perform all the stuff I could do as a kid, and more!
It has a full tone that varies dramatically with the right-hand style employed. Bright as you like, but very full and rounded with thumb strumming. Oh, and loud, too.

I really do like this Uke.

Criticisms?
I had planned to try a Linear tuning with a suitable set of strings (low bass, not re-entrant tuning), but the bridge is cut for re-entrant, and I'm just not willing to modify a work of art.

Recommended?
Oh yes! But do shop around for the best price....

High Quality Tremolo Springs,Claw,And Screw Set,For 'St' Type,Floyd Rose Etc
High Quality Tremolo Springs,Claw,And Screw Set,For 'St' Type,Floyd Rose Etc
Offered by WarHorse Guitars

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits and works well, 23 Sept. 2014
These are fine, fitted my Fuji Gen Gakki Superstrat (branded Casio) perfectly, looks like good quality plating too, Recommended.

Tech air 17.3 inch Lightweight Slimline Super Sleeve for Laptops with Carry Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective 17" laptop bag, 23 Sept. 2014
Nicely made, looks to be built to last and carries our massive Inspiron 1720 plus a spare battery, a backup hard drive, a couple of magazines and a (pen-and-paper) A4 notebook without bulging or straining.
Does the job without advertising 'I'm a laptop, steal me' very well.

WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER
WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER
Offered by Coolstuff2go

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny WiFi stick works unreasonably well, 23 Sept. 2014
Works well on our WiFi, no problems with recent Linux kernel, it Just Works - and it works well for such a small device (with a tiny antenna) in places where some laptops struggle this is OK in our home. Good value.

Qwerty TPad USB Multimedia Keyboard with Touchpad
Qwerty TPad USB Multimedia Keyboard with Touchpad

4.0 out of 5 stars Good long-lasting keyboard/touchpad that has become more expensive over time., 23 Sept. 2014
These are still fair value, although the price has nearly doubled over the years.
We have one of these keyboards that must be about five or six years old, and the printed letters on the keys are now very slightly worn after pretty continuous use on our home-brewed TV PC media centre thing - flat screen TV with a tiny PC box.
Just bought this one for use with a Raspberry Pi B+, and it works every bit as well.
We prefer leads to Wireless for reliability reasons, and the TV/PC setup is close enough to the seat so that we can read the fine print on a 32" screen easily. Your living room may vary.
It's a bit light for typing on the lap, so it can help if you use a tray or have a strip of ply Blu-tacked underneath. I rarely bother with that now. Works well for me.
In its favour the pad is off to the right, which suits me, and greatly reduces the chance of typing actions being misunderstood by the pad.
Recommended if you need something that combines keyboard with touchpad.

Doughnut
Doughnut
by Tom Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Tom Holt!, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Doughnut (Paperback)
It's Tom Holt. Tom Holt in good form, too.
I've been a fan since "Expecting Someone Taller", so maybe I'm biased.
The strange significance of the doughnut emerges gradually, with accompanying alarms and excursions that are as nothing compared with the Awful Event in our hero's past - until things go from bad to worse. And the resolution comes from out of left field. Very entertaining, and no spoilers here....
If you have enjoyed Tom Holt, I feel sure you will like this - if he is new to you, might I suggest starting with "Expecting Someone Taller" since it is usually available used at a bargain price.

Cobweb
Cobweb
by Frederick George

5.0 out of 5 stars Neal and his uncle deliver a solid thriller, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cobweb (Paperback)
This is a rumbustious thriller with well-drawn characters and a beautifully-detailed picture of middle America at the time of the Gulf War. Although the war features in the story, the action is confined to the USA, and is very well done indeed.
The plot involves a likable young married couple with their first baby - he's a deputy sheriff and she's an ex-military nurse who is called up when trouble starts in the East.
So we get to discover how Dad (who is a lot smarter than others suspect) handles the international terrorist plots whilst running for Sheriff and looking after baby, whilst (this is after all Neal Stephenson and his uncle writing) the intricate dealings in Washington and elsewhere are being exposed from other related viewpoints. I greatly enjoyed it, and found it hard to put down.
Recommended!

2pcs HDD Hard Drive Caddy SATA Connector for Dell Inspiron 1720 1721 Vostro 1700

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value caddy kits, may need some tweaking, 23 Sept. 2014
Good kits, came with a few screws (but not all) and a good connector.
These fit the HDD1 (original) position in the Dell 1720, but need modification to fit the HDD2 slot. You just need to nip away some 3mm of the caddy to clear the keyway in the HDD2 slot. A pair of tin-snips or a heavy duty pair of side-cutter pliers would do the job - it's obvious where it needs trimming.

Racksoy - INSPIRON 1720 1721 VOSTRO 1700 CADDY C7586 SATA bay 2 FULL Kit with Screws 0FP444
Offered by Racksoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete kit, may need to be modified for bay 2, 23 Sept. 2014
Complete kit for upgrading Dell drive bays as described. Comes with good quality screws and connector.
As supplied this was only suited for the first (original) drive bay, not the second one, but it is easy to modify it with a pair of tin snips or beefy side-cutter pliers. A 3mm nip clears the keyway.
Recommended, but be prepared to tinker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20