Profile for p johnson > Reviews

p johnson (ireland)

Her
Her

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-layered, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Her (Kindle Edition)
Subtly brilliant!! Super-chilling ending that I am still haunted by two days later. Some reviewers have mentioned that Nina's revenge is out of proportion to what Emma did but isn't that the whole point? **SLIGHT SPOILER ** My reading of it is that it isn't really Emma whom the unhinged Nina hates but someone else entirely. This is hinted at where Nina mentions an occasion when she couldn't hurt her father so decided to hurt her mother instead. Even Nina's final choice of which individual to actually harm speaks volumes about another, innocent person of whom Nina has been reminded all through the holiday in France, a person who, chillingly, I was left to assume may one day be in great danger. Meanwhile the thought of the aftermath of the bomb Nina may have dropped on Emma's family was enough to keep me awake for an hour after finishing the novel. I had got to know them all so well. (Even if I did find Emma a bit moany at times).

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
by Amy Chua

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely readable, 4 Feb. 2011
Very funny book. The author is a tough mother, no doubt about it, but she does have insight into her terrifying approach and acknowledges how hard it is for her daughters. Lots of limp parents will criticise this, furiously defending their own directionless, TV watching offspring. I'm not saying I would raise my own daughter exactly as Amy has done...maybe dilute it a bit. The most intersting thing would be to hear from Sophia or Lulu when they are a little older and can tell us what sort of adults they turned out to be and whether it was all worth it.

God's Own Country
God's Own Country
by Ross Raisin

3.0 out of 5 stars Based on The Butcher Boy, 9 May 2010
This review is from: God's Own Country (Paperback)
HELLO? This was indeed a well-written, atmospheric and funny novel - but can no-one see that the author has clearly read The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe and decided to simply rewrite it, setting it in rural Yorkshire instead of rural Ireland? He didn't do a bad job, but the ending of The Butcher Boy was far more powerful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2011 10:23 PM GMT

Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals
Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals
by John Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not a work of genius, 27 Sept. 2009
Some interesting ideas but the book is very dogmatic and rarely backed up by anything more than aneccdote or personal opinion. It is not new to assert that humans are *gasp* no more important to the planet than animals. But at least some indefatigable humans continue to strive for some sort of higher meaning and considering we still know so little, what's wrong with that? Most humans are frail and flawed but a tiny proportion is a lot brighter than the rest and the majority of us can't speak for them. Even if the species does die out, who is to say that some form of life somewhere in the universe won't one day become technologically advanced enough to gain control over the laws of physics and remove the randomness of nature? What will happen then? Maybe something, maybe nothing. I don't know - but neither does John Gray.

Best Love Rosie
Best Love Rosie
by Nuala O'Faolain

5.0 out of 5 stars A comforting journey, 28 July 2009
This review is from: Best Love Rosie (Paperback)
I am very sorry that Nuala O Faolain is no longer here to see her reviews...it somehow takes away the point. But I'll throw my sixpence in anyway. One of my favourite books of all time is "My Dream Of You." "Best Love, Rosie" (title sounds misleadingly chick-lit) runs in a similar vein, dealing with the sadness of a passionate woman forced to accept that she is no longer young. Nuala writes on this subject, as usual, with searing and brutal honesty. Unlike many semi-autobiographical novelists she doesn't worry about making herself look good but leaves nothing out, however unflattering. Yet the novel is filled with moments of great tenderness and humour. I think of her now as a hopeful teenager on a Dublin summer's day on the steps of the National Library, at the start of a thrilling journey to propel herself upwards and outwards out of mediocrity and into the ranks of a passionate and brilliant artist and traveller who will long be remembered.

London Deluxe
London Deluxe
by Richard Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, beautiful book, 12 July 2009
This review is from: London Deluxe (Hardcover)
The photos are so vivid and realistic, you could be in them. Particularly impressive is the pull-out of a tube station platform.

Transporter [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Transporter [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 Jun. 2009
I first knew this film was going to be bad when Jason Statham's character refuses to drive the getaway car until the extra person gets out "because the extra weight would mean having to stop for gas." He spends a lot more time sitting around arguing about this than it would have taken to pull in to refuel! Things sink lower when he is paid to deliver a package which turns out to be a young (attractive, of course) girl, gagged and bound. She begs to be freed, causing him to wrestle for a nanosecond with his conscience before delivering her anyway. Subsequently he accidentally rescues her. She then makes him breakfast and seduces him...AND HE THINKS THIS IS NORMAL!!?? The worrying thing is that there are men who will watch this and think that women honestly don't mind that much being tied up in the boot of a car...in fact, they'll probably end up fancying the guy who does it. Especially because this film will mainly attract men of shall we say a certain IQ?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2011 10:18 PM GMT

The Road Home
The Road Home
by Rose Tremain

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved Lydia!, 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Road Home (Paperback)
Why has no other reviewer mentioned LYDIA...for me, one of the most interesting, real and tragic characters in the novel? Every page that she was on had me reading with my heart in my mouth. I loved the way that Lev was presented as being flawed in many ways...his selfishness towards Lydia, and the way he became so caught up in his new opportunities in London that he almost began to forget about his daughter at home. The celebrity art culture was hilariously sent up - I wonder if the nasty, pretentious little play "Peccadilloes" in the novel was based on a nasty, pretentious little play called "The Pain and the Itch", which was shown in the Royal Court in Chelsea in 2007 not long before the book was published?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2009 12:56 PM BST

The Reluctant Fundamentalist
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
by Mohsin Hamid

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmopsheric and thought provoking, 30 Mar. 2009
Overall, I really enjoyed this. The beginning was instantly suspenseful, the ending superb, ambiguous and sinister. The descriptions of the marketplace were evocative and kept pace with the darkening tone of the story.
The middle section, set in the States was less believable than the Pakistan sections and slightly cliched in parts. The relationship between the protagonist and his American girlfriend was, to me, not particularly convincing. It is a shame, as I understand what the author was trying to describe...the conflicted feelings of an exile towards a rich and successful country compared with his poorer but beloved home. Especially when he hears that home being sneered at, even endangered. This is not just a Muslim/American issue, it is a perennial conflict. Unfortunately, I felt that the author didn't get right under the skin of America and this is where his "conflict", for me, lost some impact.

Emma's Baby
Emma's Baby
by Abbie Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Emma's Baby (Paperback)
I loved this! I bought it to last me on holidays, but read it on the plane and didn't put it down until it was finished, not even to drink my mini bottle of wine! It is simply yet well written, very moving in parts, and the suspense is mind blowing. I was right there with Emma the whole way through! I actually know someone that this happened to (their child got caught on a bus that drove off leaving the parents behind. Superb idea for a plot. I'll be very interested to see what sort of book the author comes up with next time.