Profile for Helen > Reviews

Content by Helen

Helen (Newmarket, UK)

AM
AM

3.0 out of 5 stars I very much doubt this will stand the test of time in the way previous Monkey albums will do., 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AM (Audio CD)
This is in no way a bad effort, but for me, the R&B vibe and the overdone falsetto backing vocals just don't do it. There are unarguably good melodies plus a wealth of enticing hooks, and underlying it all some great heavy riffs and drums. It's hard to not like this album, but I doubt I'm ever going to fall in love with it. I just don't see me wanting to listen to this next year, let alone 5-10 years down the line.

In places the lyrics, as you would expect, are outstanding, but in a few places they were cringeworthy, with what felt to me like lazy and awkward rhyming. Sex, love and lust are the underlying theme, and while I'm sure each song has meaning to Alex Turner, I found it self-indulgent and inward-looking, and in the the songwriter's own words 'you're starting to bore me baby'. Perhaps I'm just getting to old to care about the details of someone else's lovelife.

The Whole Love
The Whole Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilco hit the spot...., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Whole Love (Audio CD)
Wilco have long been one of my favourite bands, and in my opinion The Whole Love is a seriously great addition to their catalogue. Others have already reviewed The Whole Love far more eloquently than I can, but I wanted to add that Tweedy's vocals really stand out for me on this CD. His voice seems to have more dimensions to it than I've known before, but still on occasions makes my heart ache with its quiet soulfulness. Wilco are the complete package - genius song-writing, all skilled musicians (but sensitive and selfless enough to know when to hold back), and one of the best live bands you will ever see.