Profile for D. L. Wilkinson > Reviews

Content by D. L. Wilkinson

D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
True
True
Offered by Side Two
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Beyonce,little sis just kicked yr ass, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: True (Audio CD)
This ep is an unexpected treat in the mentioned 80's Madonna way but still sounding fresh in this day and age.It keeps things simple,the basics are here in abundance and it doesn't try to shift units but just makes good music.

Mountain
Mountain
Price: 14.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mountain (Audio CD)
Nubian Rose feature the amazing vocals of Sofia (who is a vocal coach on the Swedish X factor of all things).The sound is clean and sharp,straight hard guitars and powerful soaring vocals with sublime melodies and a couple of ballads.To me it's hard to pin down a band they especially sound like,rare in this day and age,but the whole of 80's hard commercial rock has been digested along with some XX factor.

Pat Benatar Best Shots
Pat Benatar Best Shots
Price: 13.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remembered!, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pat Benatar Best Shots (Audio CD)
I got this album thinking I wanted the track 'Love is a Battlefield',yet have been surprised how cool nearly all the other tracks are.I absorbed this music when younger but never followed through and bought it (a goth snob I was then) but it's still in there and sounds great in 2013.It straddles the divide between 80's pop,rock and new wave and joins the dots with a great voice.

Blood On Snow
Blood On Snow
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bang!, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Blood On Snow (Audio CD)
I had heard a few things about this band.The ex bassist of the 70's punk band The Adverts is a keen supporter of them funnily enough and is mentioned in the booklet.I thought it's on amazon at a great price,I'll get it.Like many bm style bands it's not reinventing the wheel but it's turning that wheel in an impressive fashion.Fierce and pummeling with enough little personal atmospheric touches to make them stand out.The war theme,I guess as regards this particular area,has not been tackled within music much,only bolt thrower and marduk attempted similar,but EF have a distinct take on the Russian side of things.

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Price: 12.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Glam bang thank you ma'mm, 5 Feb 2013
I like this album.I only just got it and am a long way from being an old fan of DL even though I'm the right kind of age.In 1980-92,their glory years you could say,I was into gary numan,killing joke,sisters of mercy,nirvana etc and the main thing I thought about DL was how my hair was a bit like theirs,being blonde and curly!Somehow their songs have made their mark on me though and in the last few years I have become a Lepp fan!In hindsight they are a great band and I was too wrapped up in indie snobbery(or immaturity) to appreciate it.This album sees them going back to their roots a bit with touches of the 70's glam feel of bands like Sweet (who I liked as a nipper) although with a solid modern production, which in my opinion is a much better place than where their last album found them.It's a good listen all through for me,catchy rock/pop with their trademark sugary feel and vocal harmonies.And for anyone who thinks they are just like Bon Jovi,check out their cover of the Stooges 'Search and Destroy!'

Triumph & Agony
Triumph & Agony
Price: 8.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic metal from the 80's, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
One thing with this album I find is I don't know whether to keep it in my 'proper metal' or the hair metal division of my cd collection.It has that crossover element,heavy but kinda glam,the sturm und drang of metal but also the polish of mtv.It's quite a good place to be in all honesty,anthemic and distinctive.Doro is pretty cool.

Upon Promethean Shores: Remastered
Upon Promethean Shores: Remastered
Price: 15.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost classic, 25 Jan 2013
I got this ep after I heard the band on a compilation in 1998.I had it then but lost it later.After a long time not hearing it,maybe around 13 years or so,it sounds great.It's not the pummeling or very raw bm style but more in the atmospheric bm area,symphonic but on a tight budget,which works in it's favour.They do sound comparable to old cradle but whereas cradle always seemed to throw the kitchen sink down the stairs with the baby and the bathwater behind it,hecate take a more simple approach to a similar style.It seems to have more atmosphere due to less going on in a way,very refreshing in 2013.It makes me think of dark moors and empty castles in the English countryside.

Philosophy of Winter
Philosophy of Winter

4.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotic, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Philosophy of Winter (Audio CD)
Although this band are not breaking the mould of black metal,they do what they do very well.They have a great chilly atmosphere and tend to go more for a hypnotic sometimes almost ambient feel rather than all out assault.

The Collection
The Collection
Offered by Bee-Entertained
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An odd but useful selection!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
A strange one compiling Europe's first phase.
This compilation features:
7 tracks from the first album (Europe,1983)
0 from the second (Wings of Tomorrow,1984)
4 from the third (The Final Countdown,1986)
3 from the fourth (Out of this World,1988)
2 from the fifth (Prisoner of Paradise,1991)
Strangely track number five is billed as 'Falling',which is on the first album,but what you get when it plays is the second re-recorded version of 'Open Your Heart' from the third album,which was originally on the second album!
In other words if you want to get nearly all the first album tracks way cheaper than buying the first album,it's a great buy,and you get a decent selection from the other albums,except the great second album which is great and you should buy that as well.This cost me 1.65 delivered and I didn't have the first or fourth albums.Bargain of the year and it's only January.Yowzer!!

Judge Dredd [DVD] [1995]
Judge Dredd [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by IMSSALES
Price: 16.97

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it too!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Judge Dredd [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Sure as a piece of drama it's weak,but as a fun comic adaptation it's cool.It has a nineties appeal,being from a less cynical time when a big star and some jazzy special effects still made people happy.Maybe as a film based on acting chops and faithfulness to the material it's a two star,but overall as a fun cine experience at least a three,maybe a four on a good day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20