Profile for EJ CAMARA > Reviews

1Q84: Book 3
1Q84: Book 3
by Haruki Murakami

3.0 out of 5 stars Goes out with a whimper instead of a bang, 2 May 2012
This review is from: 1Q84: Book 3 (Hardcover)
Book Three of 1Q84 was a good book. But what is truly frustrating about the book is the potential it had to be AMAZING. Book 2 ended perfectly. 1Q84 was a masterpiece and was ready to go down as my all time favorite book. There was so much potential for a truly mind blowing ending, but unfortunately book 3 wastes most of these opportunities. Murakami chooses to end the story with a whimper instead of a bang. The pacing is very slow(sort of like the beginning of book 1) Which is fine, but he could have done so much more with the storyline at this point. The book did have some exciting scenes which saves the book. The ending was both beautiful and frustrating at the same time. Another thing I found frustrating is the lack of screen time(book time?) for the "little people."

At the end of the day 1Q84 as a whole is great. It just could have been so much better which I find so frustrating because after Book 2 I was truly ready to declare 1Q84 a masterpiece and my favorite book of all time.

Still definitely worth a read though. An good end to 1Q84. Not the truely great ending it deserved though.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Demanding but absorbing experience, 5 May 2010
This is my second Haruki Murakami novel. The first being norwegian wood, which I found a little bit dissapointing and strange. It probably needs another read through.

I decided to give Haruki another chance and read his masterpiece The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. The book started off quite slowly. It has some really surreal and bazaar parts which kept me interested, but also some more dragging parts. The book was simpl introducing you to the characters and showing you Toru Watanabe's "normal life" so that the effect of his life going crazy is stronger. Which it does. I found the book started to really hook me in at the part where we hear Lutenant Mamiya's long story. From then on the book is hard to put down!

The book is very surreal and interesting. Not all answers are answered, the world in this book is very confusing, just like the main characters life. It's really gripping and mind boggling.

Great book but it's very demanding and requires patience. I found it started to get really interesting after around 200 pages, so stick with it! The beginning isnt bad by any means, it's just not very exciting, but that makes the later part stronger!