Profile for D. Stafford > Reviews

D. Stafford

Razor's Edge: The Unofficial History of the Falklands War
Razor's Edge: The Unofficial History of the Falklands War
by Hugh Bicheno

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and powerful. A superb commentary on the battle for the Falklands., 22 April 2015
A superb book on the Falklands War and a worthy addition to the vast range of books on the subject. As other reviewers have commented on, the main core of the book concentrates on the land battles and Hugh Bicheno cannot be faulted for the research he has put into his writing. He has walked the hills around Stanley and his efforts have paid off, giving a really detailed view of the battles, from both sides. It was the first time that I really understood what happened at Goose Green and what a struggle it was. Hugh Bicheno is quite explicit in terms of the rights and wrongs of the war, something that his friend Richard Holmes makes clear in the forward to the edition I read. However, it is refreshing to see an author pushing his argument that the Argentine government was the manifestation of worst kind of fascism, only slightly worse than a British government whose policy pre-war seems to have been to sell the islanders down the river. The Falklands conflict is very personal to me as my father was in the Royal Navy at the time and was lucky that his ship remained at home in 1982, whilst my uncle was sent "down South" with the Fleet Air Arm and was lucky to have got off the Atlantic Conveyor before it was sunk. This book does the memory of those who fought and died proud (on both sides) and is a thought provoking commentary on how badly things can and do go wrong in war.

York Fitness Active 110 Exercise Bike
York Fitness Active 110 Exercise Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Exercise Bike - Great Results, 29 Jun. 2014
I bought this bike in February 2014 and have waited until now until posting a review, really because I wanted base my opinion on how it performed over a reasonable period of time.

Delivery was quick and I found the assembly very straightforward. The bike was bought after I was advised I needed to lose some weight and move to a more healthy lifestyle. I followed the guidance in the instructions, opting to do a 30 minutes workout, pretty much everyday, and see how far I could go. The resistance was initially set fairly low, but as time has gone on it has been upped to just below the maximum. I have also been careful to eat sensibly - but I hasten to add I've not starved myself - just cut back on cakes, crisps, snacks etc. - but still occasionally treat myself

The results of all those 30 minutes? Since I've had the bike I've doubled the distance I can cover and have lost over 3 and a half stones or 22KG. It has also motivated me to get out and buy a road bike, which I now use in conjunction with the York Active 110. When the weather is bad I just hop on the exercise bike for 30 minutes and it gives me a tough, but low impact workout. The trip computer is more than adequate for the level I'm at, although it is hungry for batteries, probably due to the constant use. The handle bar does also squeak a bit when I'm getting into a rhythm, but to be honest with you I can't hear it with my iPod on.

For the price you'd be hard pressed to find better - plus I have been so impressed with the results - and feel so much healthier for it.

Draper 86265 Magnum 1000 Workbench  (Old Version)
Draper 86265 Magnum 1000 Workbench (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of kit!, 30 Jun. 2011
Based on the reviews above I purchased the Magnum 1000 and am not disappointed. It is a solid and inventive workbench and I can only echo what the other reviewers have said. I think the ability to extend the clamping jaws to be able to hold large objects is superb, whilst I will be making full use of the bench to hold my circular saw/router in position. My best advice is follow the video link in the first review as it will give you an idea as to the flexibility of the system.

With the Paras in Helmand: A Photographic Diary
With the Paras in Helmand: A Photographic Diary
by Craig Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Book, 30 Jun. 2011
Given the number of books about the conflict in "Afghan", it can be difficult for a reader to know what to buy, even more so when there are few reviews of the book you are thinking of buying. This was the case with Craig Allen's book, "With the Paras in Helmand", so I was unsure as to what I would be getting when I ordered it from Amazon. However, I needn't have worried as this is one of the best photographic studies of the British soldier in Afghanistan that I have so far bought.

Starting in October 2007 the book follows 2 Para from their preparation for deployment, to their eventual arrival in Helmand province. The text is honest and informative, and full of little details that tries to give the reader an idea of what it is like to fight and live in an often hostile environment. I have to say though, that the highlight of this book is the photographs, more than 280 pages of colour and black and white shots that capture the grit and determination of the Paras during their tour of Afghanistan. If you are interested in the conflict in Afghanistan this is a must buy. It's also worth noting that by buying this book you are contributing to the Afghanistan Trust an organisation that supports wounded soldiers and families bereaved by this conflict. A worthwhile cause and an excellent book.

Passchendaele
Passchendaele
by Peter Barton

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb history book, 25 July 2007
This review is from: Passchendaele (Hardcover)
I have a large collection of WWI books, including Peter Barton's previous two volumes that looked at panoramas of the Somme and panoramas of the Western Front. I was therefore surprised to find that this is not only is the best book of the series so far, but by far the best WWI book I have ever bought.

The book concentrates on the third battle of Ypres, commonly known as the battle of Passchendaele, which was fought in the summer and autumn of 1917. It has become a by-word for mud, death and suffering and is a highly emotive subject even today.

Although the book mainly looks at the third battle of Ypres, room is given to the first and second battles, giving the reader a feeling for how the later conflict developed. Peter Barton is also very even-handed in his approach, challenging the myths that have grown up around Passchendaele and putting the battle into a contemporary context.

However, it is in the maps, photographs and illustrations that this book excels. I was amazed by some of the aerial shots taken during the battle, which show a cratered, lunar landscape littered with the living and dead alike. Two pictures stand out for me. On page 264 the aerial shot of a lone British tank trekking across a "crater field" is haunting. This is matched by the horror of the photograph entitled "English Field of Death" on page 437. This German aerial photograph shows a muddy, blasted landscape typical of the latter stages of the battle. On closer inspection you become aware of tiny figures lying scattered around - all victims of this terrible conflict. In addition to the many photographs that have never been published before, the maps included show the objectives that the much maligned generals sought to achieve, whilst the "trench photographs" give an ordinary soldier's view of the battle.

I cannot rate this book highly enough. If you are at all interested in WWI you must add it to your collection.