Profile for Green Matt > Reviews

Criminal Law: Text, Cases and Materials
Criminal Law: Text, Cases and Materials
by Jonathan Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Best first year book, 14 Sept. 2007
This was the only book that I had to read in my first year that I actually liked. It was clear and written in a kind of friendly way so that you felt like the writer was trying to explain things rather than prove how clever he was to understand such complicated things. I found the two section approach useful becuase I could start with the basics and stick with that side if I needed to like with intoxication or go over to the hard side with easier topics or so that i could write an essay. It is pretty mcuh like two books in one which is great bacuse it saves money too. The best thing is that it makes the topics interesting. My gran read the chapter on murder although I don't really know why and even she said it was great and kept telling me things that she knew. She said that she'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to write a detetctive story becuase they often get things about the law wrong and it really annoys her. I'd recoommend it to anyone studying criminal law.

Legal Skills
Legal Skills
by Dr Emily Finch

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 14 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Legal Skills (Paperback)
If you are studying law, you need this book. It is like an encylodpedia of all the things that you need to knwo to do well on your degree.

I'm just starting my second year and I didn't have this book last year and I didn't do that well. I tried but I found it hard to work out what some of the advice meant on doing essays and particularly problems. My exam results weren't the greatest and I did think about giving it up and doing something else. My dad said 'perhaps you're not just cut out for law' but my gran said that was nonsense and bought me this book. I don't know why she chose this one but i'm glad she did becuase it has made every single thing that I didn't understand totally and utterly clear as a bell. I've used the suggestions on problem questions to go back over my coursework from last year where i was getting marks like 48 and 50 and now I can see that it was so bad and I did so much wrong but I just didn't realise. I emailed my tutor for one of the subjects and told him that I'd been worried about my marks so I'd done some work over the summer and rewritten an essay and would he look at it and tell me if it was better and he said that it was a 'terrific improvement' and that it was now worth at least 15% more marks. I was made up because that would make it my best mark ever. So now all I have to do is follow the instructions in the book and I'll be getting marks up in the 60's for my coursework and be understnading what I have to do.

The reason I think this book is essential is that it is so clear that it gets rid of any doubt about what you have do so. There are step to step guides on essays, findings cases, writing and exams and all the other things that we need to know but nobody tells us.