Profile for Dr.Crabfingers > Reviews

The Court Jester [DVD] [1956]
The Court Jester [DVD] [1956]
Dvd ~ Danny Kaye

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a farce!, 16 Jun 2011
My goodness, this took me back. Didn't realise just to what extent this film was imprinted upon my psyche until I saw this again. Danny Kaye is brilliant as the the royal buttock revealing attendant turned Giacomo imposter. Glynis Johns also puts in a good performance as action woman and love interest. The rest of the cast seem peculiarly wooden...the opening sequence in the royal court with Cecil Parker looks like the opening night of an amateur dramatics production. It's a Hollywood take on an English farce but a good laugh and all very harmless. The knighting sequence conducted in double time is Hollywood at its most frivolous! Very funny. This would be a really excellent film for children.

Louis Malle Collection: Volume 1 [DVD] [1958]
Louis Malle Collection: Volume 1 [DVD] [1958]
Dvd ~ Jeanne Moreau

5.0 out of 5 stars Louis Malle's films., 10 Jun 2011
This is a nice collection of four Louis Malle films. I've watched three of the films so far, Lift to the scaffold is excellent as is Les Amants. I couldn't watch Zazie dans le Metro - I found the bizarre experimental editing/filming technique unwatchable. However, I find myself completely absorbed in his films, he has a magical gift for holding the attention even if there's no dialogue. I really can't take my eyes from the screen during one of his films. The DVDs come in a very pleasing cardboard pack, I wish more DVDs distributors would use cardboard instead of the dreaded plastic. So, great films from the master film-maker and a real treat for Francophiles to look back at the golden age of France and French cinema.

Pan's Labyrinth [Blu-ray]
Pan's Labyrinth [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ivana Baquero

2.0 out of 5 stars Stone the crows what have I just watched..., 31 May 2011
Not the film I was expecting. I was expecting a fairy-tale family film for some reason. This is a violent and disturbing film depicting torture, graphic murder and mutilation during the Spanish civil war. I can't see how it's suitable for 15 year olds unless they've grown up in war torn Rawanda; it should have an 18 certificate. It's a sort of Alice in Wonderland meets Hellraiser. It's brutal and not very pleasant watching! That'll teach me for not reading the reviews first!! I've got to have a stiff drink now to try to erase that image of the farmer being murdered by being stabbed a dozen times in the face. I'm not sure the violence needed to be so graphic. Nothing has more impact upon our psyches than our own imagination. I gave it two stars because I didn't like the film but I admit it is an unusual and well made film that wont fail to have an impact. However I have no desire to ever see the film again!!

Planes, Trains & Automobiles [1987] [DVD]
Planes, Trains & Automobiles [1987] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny film., 30 May 2011
In my opinion Steve Martin's funniest film. Big John Candy plays the shower ring salesman and travel companion from hell who teams up with Steve Martin in order to get back home for thanks-giving. Some very funny moments and great character acting. Never fails to make me laugh.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? [DVD] [2000]
O Brother, Where Art Thou? [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny and entertaining film., 29 May 2011
A really good film, with a brilliant blue-grass soundtrack. Some really funny characters and a very entertaining script. The photography is excellent - with most colours often digitally replaced with a sort of dusty gold! A really entertaining and unusual film. Now, where's my hair pomade...

Dances Of Port Said
Dances Of Port Said

4.0 out of 5 stars Vigorous bellydance., 27 May 2011
This review is from: Dances Of Port Said (MP3 Download)
I'm mainly familiar with belly dance from Turkey so this recording is for me quite unusual. The basic rhythm is pretty much the same on each track, so much so that I'm often convinced that I'm listening to the same track over and over by accident. The singing is excellent, whoever the singer is he really doesn't hold back and sings at the top of his voice with real passion and masculine vigour! The general sound of the album is quite raucous and passionate and sounds like the real deal. I really like it even though it's a little samey.

The Cruel Sea [DVD]
The Cruel Sea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Hawkins
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars A real wartime classic., 27 May 2011
This review is from: The Cruel Sea [DVD] (DVD)
A really good film, Jack Hawkins is excellent as the merchant seaman given command of a fighting ship. A great cast and a well told story - it's a classic.

Okominiokolo
Okominiokolo

4.0 out of 5 stars High energy soukous! But don't bother with the first few tracks!!, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Okominiokolo (MP3 Download)
Took a bit of getting used to as the guitar riffs are quite prominent in the mix and they are repetitive, which may be an obvious thing to say about soukous but I found the sameness of the guitar initially quite wearing, especially when it was broken with some predictable key changes. I would have liked some more prominent and adventurous bass playing or more percussion as the overall sound is high in the treble. But there are some extremely good tracks on it for example 'concentration', 'tolingana' and 'pense a moi'. It's a fairly expensive album and I'm afraid I don't think it's worth the money. Concentration is for me the best track on the album and is a really great track.

Lichfield Leather Gents Wallet Style 2039
Lichfield Leather Gents Wallet Style 2039
Offered by Friends for Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality wallet!, 25 May 2011
Very very nice soft leather wallet, slim with three compartments for various cheques, bank-notes, receipts etc...and plenty of sleeves for credit cards and licences...perfect. Stitching looks to be very good quality. What the photo doesn't show is the colourful lining inside the wallet - patterned with what looks like an old map of the world! Very quick delivery..Brilliant.

The Big Blue [Version Longue] [DVD] [1988]
The Big Blue [Version Longue] [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Rosanna Arquette
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern classic., 24 May 2011
This is a modern classic. Jean-Marc Barr gives a top notch, charismatic and convincing performance as Jacques and Jean Reno is unforgettable and equally brilliant as Enzo. This film always seems to stay with me...there are so many themes running through the film - from simple competitiveness to giving oneself totally to something one believes in. I think it's a great film. I sort of wish I'd have bought in on BD now!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16