Profile for rob > Reviews

rob (London, UK)

BC5i Big Button Sim Free Senior Telephone - Black
BC5i Big Button Sim Free Senior Telephone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for calls, but texting could be easier, 18 May 2014
I bought this handset for my Granny for when she visits us from abroad and needs a UK handset. The big buttons are great and the way the phone reads out the numbers you press is very helpful. However, my granny had a hard time using the texting function of the phone as there is no 1 touch button to get to the inbox or write texts. This would have been ideal for older people who have a tough time using technology at all and are hopeless scrolling through phone menus to so simple things. Saying that, the phone does seem to be more focused on visually impaired than zero-tech-savvy users. But worth considering when looking to purchase

Logitech K740 Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech K740 Illuminated Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 18 May 2014
I really enjoy have illuminated keys now. I always used to struggle in a lamp lit room with a standard keyboard.
Only annoyance is that special function keys for controlling music are combined with the 'F' keys and have to be pressed with the function key at the same time - not ideal when you want to quickly switch tracks and you're not sitting right in front of the keyboard (my old cheapy keyboard had dedicated 1-press music buttons)

ASUS VE278Q 27 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p with HDMI Display Port 2ms Response Time Picture in Picture

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing screen... no regrets, 26 Dec 2011
Length:: 0:49 Mins

I bought the ASUS VE278Q from Amazon over a month ago. I wanted a screen that would make everyday work pleasant and also for watching films.
I also considered the LG E2770V, but could find next to no customer reviews on it, making it a less attractive option. My other option was the Viewsonic VX2753ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED - LCD display - TFT - LED backlight - 27" - widescreen - 1920 x 1080 - 300 cd/m2 - 1200:1 - 30000000:1 (dynamic) - 1 ms - HDMI, VGA - speakers - glossy black, but I felt the ASUS provided more functionality and is a very difficult all rounder to beat.

My video review was filmed with a standard mobile phone camera, so the quality of the picture is obviously not true to life. However I still wanted to give an idea of the colour depth and look of the screen.

In short, this is a great monitor. I have very little to complain about.

PROs
+ Lovely screen size
+ Excellent quality display
+ Blu-ray films look outstanding
+ Very little adjustment needed to default settings for good picture
+ Black screen frame is very neutral without big, bright logos all over the place, allowing you to focus on what's being displayed
+ Power LED is very discrete, a plus when watching films in the dark
+ No dead pixels on my monitor

CONs
- Input not automatically selected when connected to the screen - not such a big issue for me as I only use HDMI
- Only 1 HDMI port - 2 would be nice to avoid having to having to access the back of the screen to change cables
- It seems sound cannot be outputted via the HDMI cable (you need to use the separate cable instead). Once again, a minor issue.
- Some bleed at top of my screen but hardly noticeable

Some other reviewers have complained of issues with dead pixels, although I am not sure if this is more prevalent with this model than with any other screen. I think every screen that comes off the production line these days is slightly different, so it's hard to predict if you'll get one with any issues.

Check out the Amazon US website for more reviews.

Growth Into Manhood
Growth Into Manhood
by Alan P. Medinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: Growth Into Manhood (Paperback)
I found this book very useful in my first attempts to move away from Same Sex Attraction (SSA). The book focuses mainly on DOING the things men do (not necessarily referring to fishing or bear hunting!) to move further into manhood. I personally found this approach very useful.
Medinger gives an explanation of what qualities men have from a more spiritual point of view which I thought was good and this provided me with some (not all) the answers to the question "What is a man?". Is a man a big muscly guy with a hairy chest and 5 women on his arm as common Western images seem to portray? Or is a man a person with qualities different to a female which serve him in the role of being father, protector and the person that gets to do the scary things like take the spider outside? Your personal answer probably lies in your roots (hopefully).
The author being Christian, the book has a spiritual theme throughout with an idea that connection to God is an important part of healing. I would advise potential Jewish buyers that the book is readable although I did feel uncomfortable with the odd paragraph that talked about relating to Jesus and also with Christian commentary on quotes from The Old Testament. Otherwise, the book is readable and definitely worth reading!
Thank you Alan Medinger!
(to see a bit of the book before you buy it look at www.amazon.com - not co.uk)