Profile for llia1981 > Reviews

I Never Told Anyone: Writings by Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
by Ellen Bass
Price: 8.80

4.0 out of 5 stars good tool for fellow survivors, 18 Aug 2004
The fact that this book told the stories of every-day women, women like your mother, your neighbour, your best-friend, yourself... made it very approachable. Furthermore, the layout, being as it was, divided into sections according to abuser-type, made it easy to navigate. The vast range of experiences described in this book allows any kind of survivor, be they the victim of multiple abuses, or one single seemingly unimportant event, to relate to the book and see themselves as one of a number, instead of a sole individual alone in their world of issolation. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has suffered ANY kind of sexual abuse to ANY degree!

Asylum
Asylum
by Patrick McGrath
Price: 7.42

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and somewhat disturbing, 18 Aug 2004
This review is from: Asylum (Paperback)
The idea of this book interested me greatly and I read with great enthusiasm. I enjoyed it immensely and I finished it in a very short time since the writing was so beautiful and imaginitive and the story-line very absorbing! i would recommend this book to anybody wanting a slightly different read!

Girl, Interrupted
Girl, Interrupted
by Susanna Kaysen
Price: 7.82

3.0 out of 5 stars ..., 2 May 2004
This review is from: Girl, Interrupted (Paperback)
I read this book before I saw the film, and now view each as seperate and different entities. Whereas the film uses a lot of artistic license to create a picture of hospitalisation in 1960's America, that is palatable for the cinema-goer, the original book is more a case history of Susanna Kayson's life.
It is an intregueing look into the mental health system at that time, but the parts that most touched me and affected me in the film, were absent from the original book.
I do however, find the book immensely interesting for it's 'original' material, in that Susanna's case notes are reproduced, apparantly word-for-word....and anyone who has had experience of the questioning undertaken by mental health staff, will find it an interesting read.

Stop Pretending: What happened when my big sister went crazy
Stop Pretending: What happened when my big sister went crazy
by Sonya Sones

4.0 out of 5 stars touching and different, 2 May 2004
I didn't expect this book to be written as a series of poems, and was slightly put off by the idea....but once i had begun reading, I couldn't put it down....Stop Pretending is a touching and sensitive look at mental illness, presented in a unique way.

Wasted
Wasted
by Mikki Goffin

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!!, 2 May 2004
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
This book made me laugh hysterically and then sob for over an hour. I have read it three times and still absolutely love it.
The story focuses on Abigail who is at uni in Sussex, England, and tells of her sister's downward spiral into drug-induced schizophrenia.
This is an excellent book, one for which, Mikki Goffin should be immensely proud!