Profile for Gabbi > Reviews

The Distant Hours
The Distant Hours
by Kate Morton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best book..., 2 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Distant Hours (Paperback)
I loved the Forgotten Garden and it is still one of my favourite books by Kate Morton. This one is interesting but I was quite dissapointed with a few things, mainly the characters and the story.

I never really got a sense of why Juniper cracked and went mad, and I was also angry about the ending. It was just horribly rushed and upset me to no end. It just didn't feel right either, I don't know why.

Overall, it's an alright beach read, but does it drag on! And the ending is just so dissapointing! Would much rather read The Forgotten Garden again, or even The House at Riverton.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2012 9:49 AM GMT

Varmints
Varmints
by Helen Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, deep and epic, 20 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Varmints (Paperback)
I first spotted this book in Waterstones, and immediately picked it up because of the cover with the cute little creature. However when I turned the first two pages I knew this wasn't going to be like ANY children's illustration book I've ever read...

The story is about creatures who love nature and take care of plants in the fields, but then an industrial city is built over this peaceful landscape. However there is one creature who won't give up on looking after one, small plant.

The narration is very deep and definitely makes you think. The story in general makes you think too. This means that this book can be enjoyed by adults. But it's not just the story that shines, it's the illustrations aswell! Probably the best I've ever seen, they are dark, detailed and epic, but also feature these cute, simple characters, possibly the only lighthearted aspect of the book. The cute characters mixed with the industrial, dark atmosphere is very unique.

Overall a brilliant read not just for children, but for adults too. And it's a great book to look through, because these illustrations are just incredible.

Big-Eye Art: Resurrected and Transformed
Big-Eye Art: Resurrected and Transformed
by Blonde Blythe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book with lots of fantastic artwork!, 8 Nov. 2008
This is probably the best art book I've ever bought, with lots of wonderful artwork featuring characters, creatures and things with big eyes! There's some really adorable work here (for example Misha), but others are pretty dark and disturbing (Mark Gleason comes to mind), but all in all every artist shown in this book has a different and unique style!

Pick up this book if you're interest in art, fairies, or even Japanese culture.

I am 8-bit
I am 8-bit
by John M. Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and great book!, 24 Oct. 2008
This review is from: I am 8-bit (Paperback)
This book is really great! There's lots of fantastic pictures of most of the artwork shown at the I Am 8 Bit exhibition, and they range from cute to really eerie. This is nice to look through and gives me lots of inspiration and influence for my artwork.

Definitely get it if you're into pop art or gaming.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (Nintendo DS)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for Sonic's first RPG outing!, 21 Oct. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I wasn't sure wether this would be average or not seeing as Sonic isn't exactly a character made for RP gaming. I can say though that, it does work in a certain way.

The strongest points here are the story and dialogue. Bioware are fantastic in that department, and it shows well here too. Characters are wonderfully portrayed and there are lots of references to older games. This is the first time Knuckles has had the best treatment! Oh, and I love Shade too. She's got a great character design and nice personality. The artwork is neat, the battling is innovative...

But there are some downsides too. The music...is TERRIBLE. Sonic music is known to be absolutely brilliant, but this was ear grating. The sound effects were also very cheap and sometimes made no sense (Shadow sounds like a turkey?). The game was also too short, didn't have many interesting side missions and the final boss is hilariously easy.

You must admit though that, besides these bad faults and the fact that this is Sonic's first RPG, it's not all THAT bad. It's very good, actually. But remember, it's not really a fast game like previous games, and the Rush series is...definitely better in my opinion. XD

Nintendo 2000 Wii Points Card (Wii)
Nintendo 2000 Wii Points Card (Wii)
Offered by Gateway Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, but not always so easy, 8 Oct. 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This is very handy for getting Virtual Console and WiiWare games. I just find it annoying that this card comes in a case with instructions, when the only really important thing in this case is the card. Sure it is handy for games and DVD's that don't have a case, but you can't have them lying all over the place!

There's not much else to say about the card, because that's all it's for. To get Virtual Console and/or WiiWare games.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars IF UB Funkey!, 7 Oct. 2008
I got these for Christmas last year, and they're really cute AND highly collectible. There's all different kinds of Funkey tribes, and you put them into the main UB hub (the big white one) to play games, collect gem shards, buy items for your Crib with coins and more!

There's just so much to do, and the game gets updated from time to time to add new features and Funkeys! So the game never gets old. The only downsides are that there's no online and that the seperate Funkeys are a little on the expensive side, but that doesn't really matter as this game is supposed to be geared towards young kids.

Manga Sutra -- Futari H Volume 1: Futari H v. 1
Manga Sutra -- Futari H Volume 1: Futari H v. 1
by Katsu Aki

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sweet and informative!, 30 Sept. 2008
I'm 18, and I first started reading this manga in the summer when I ordered it from this site. ^^ It's my first ever "hentai" manga, although I wouldn't really call it one to be honest.

For one thing, hentai mangas are ALOT ruder, with loads of rough and hardcore sex. This isn't, however, rough at all. It's actually very sweet. Also, hentai manga don't really have much of a story, whilst this one does. I guess you could call this more an ecchi, which is why the original name of the manga is Futari Ecchi.

But not only is there a cute story about two 25 year old virgins and their first experiences with sex and all that, there's also loads of information and advice on sex and the human body throughout the story! Thanks to this manga, I have actually learnt quite a few things that I never even knew about concerning this intimate subject.

It isn't exactly a REAL sex guide, but it's still very interesting and has lots of great facts, plus the story, characters (which I can relate to very well) and artwork are top-notch! I'm definitely going to get the second volume very soon. <3

The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Arles
The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Arles
by Martin Gayford

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read. A real page-turner!, 14 Sept. 2008
I read this when I was working on a project at college for my Art & Design course. I was basically researching Van Gogh's work and life, and I had even seen both Vincent & Theo and Lust for Life. I had also heard about this book which many said was a brilliant read. I saw it in Waterstones, so I quickly bought it.

To be honest I couldn't put this book down. There were many interesting things in it that even I didn't know, and I even started reading this book not only at college, but even at home! Like many have mentioned here though, the only downside would be that the paintings shown in the book are not in colour. Then again, I can always look them up on the internet.

So yeah, definitely get this book if you're interested in Van Gogh, Gauguin or both.

Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)
Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Musicland Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun virtual pet game!, 5 Sept. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
When I first got this game for Christmas almost 2 years back I never got the hang of it because my dog (a Beagle) never listened when I called its name, so I left the game collecting dust amongst my other DS games. However I started playing it again quite recently thanks to my younger brother who kept the game going, and it's really adorable!

The graphics are nice (especially on the puppies themselves!) and looking after them is pretty straight forward. The commands are also easy to do and it's great to see your puppy run at you after calling its name.
The only downside is that you can only enter a certain tournament 3 times a day. Same goes for teaching commands to your dog. Because once you've done the tournaments and such, there's not really much left to do except still look after your pups and watch them.

In short this game is really fun and REALLY cute! I definitely recommend this to dog lovers and people that enjoy virtual pet games.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3