Profile for shadowfax > Reviews

Content by shadowfax

shadowfax

Alphasonix Latest 3rd Generation Audi Music Interface (AMI - 4F0051510K) Adapter Cable / Lead - Connects iPhone 3G 3GS 4 4S iPod (all models) iPad iPad 2 and iPad 3 to Audi A3 A4 S4 A5 S5 A6 A7 A8 Q3 Q5 Q7 TT / VW Volkswagen Golf Jetta Passat Passat CC Tiguan Touareg EOS
Offered by alphasonix Ltd. (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more ?, 23 Jun 2013
Bought with a little trepidation - can't always be 100% confident what you're actually going to get.

But this arrived quickly, came in what appeared to be an official VAG parts package

And most importantly it works perfectly with the Audi Music Interface in my 2009 A4

Why pay Audi prices when you can buy at these prices ?

Excellent 5/5

Wahl Performer 5537-217 Battery Operated Hair Trimmer
Wahl Performer 5537-217 Battery Operated Hair Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 30 Nov 2012
I bought this to use when I'm travelling but have found it so good that I've stopped using the mains trimmer that I had and started using this instead.

I have a full beard and trim it twice a week. I fitted this trimmer with 2 IKEA AA batteries (so bargain basement, nothing special) and having used it several times for long enough to do a good job of trimming the length of my beard, tidying up around the edges, and getting rid of any stray long hairs, it's still going strong.

Some people have mentioned that it can pull at the beard hairs as it is cuttting. I found that a couple of times but only when I move the trimmer very slowly. If I keep it moving across the beard it doesn't happen.

Rust has been mentioned as a problem. When I first opened the box I took the trouble to spread a few drops of oil on the cutter blades and haven't touched it since. The trimmer is kept in the bathroom, so a regularly warm & humid environment, and there has been no sign of rust to date.

The trimmer comes with 6 separate plastic attachments to help with getting the length of cut correct. These aren't particularly substantial but I think you would have to be pretty hamfisted or heavy handed to break them. The only one that I have used regularly is the one that slides up and down the cutter into multiple positions. This has been perfectly adequate for trimming all of my beard and tidying my moustache length.

The only poor point as far as I am concerned is the instructions. It would take a few minutes to create something much better and I would expect customer satisfaction to be dramatically improved.

Overall - good product, excellent value - recommended
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 2:59 PM GMT

Lemix BCG10(n) fast-charger compatible with battery DMW BCG-10 BCG-10E BCG10E for PANASONIC LUMIX DMC series; TZ6 TZ7 TZ8 TZ9 TZ10 TZ18 TZ20 TZ65 ZR1 ZR3 ZS1 ZS3 ZS5 ZS6 ZS7 ZX1 ZX3 Includes car adaptor, UK and EU plugs (Note: This is a replacement charger. It is NOT made by Panasonic/Lumix)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 Aug 2012
Bought this to use with a Panasonic TZ10. It works just as well as the Panasonic one but has the advantage that it can be used in the car and when travelling too as it has different fittings for plugging into, eg European, mains sockets.

Casio Aq-180WD-1BVES Mens Combi Watch with Stop Watch
Casio Aq-180WD-1BVES Mens Combi Watch with Stop Watch

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a watch, but not much more, 6 Aug 2012
Casio Aq-180WD-1BVES watch.
Delivery very good, thanks Amazon. Watch not so good.
Superficially this looks like quite a good watch at the price. Functionally (It tells the time) it appears to be ok, but then so do much more basic watches at a lower price.
It looks OK, so not cheap and nasty like some watches at prices at this level. It's quite thick, about 13cm, so getting it under tight shirt cuffs may be an issue. The glass is the thing that sticks out the furthest so it's not difficult to believe that this will get damaged. As I've only had it for a few hours the durability is not something I can comment on. As mentioned elsewhere it would appear to be a chrome type finish on a plastic case. This can have an impact on the durability of the bracelet retention and on the durability of the finish.
It is reported to have be waterproof to 100m. This seems to mean that you can wash the car in it but be careful taking it swimming.
Setting the watch seemes reasonably straight forward taking me about 5 minutes to set the digital time and date and correct the analogue time too. It comes with a small manual with small print and it's not great, but at least there are pictures so most people should be able to cope.
It's fairly readable, I can just about do it without my reading glasses but it's not as good as say black fingers on a white dial.
As mentioned in other reviews there are some things which could have been done better.
1. The backlight is really a non-event. You can see that it lights up but as for telling the time it's pretty useless.
2. The alarm is inaudible to me unless I place the watch right next to my ear, a foot away on the bedside table is too far & I can't hear anything at all. I put this down to the fact that my hearing isn't great (too much loud music over the years)and that the tone chosen by Casio is so high pitched that it's too high for me to hear it. Another Casio I had previously suffered from this problem too so maybe it's a feature (problem) with the brand. Given that this should be reasonably easy to put right in design I can't think why (given the number of people with poor hearing as they get older) watch manufacturers wouldn't adjust the pitch down to a more audible level.
3. This means that the alarms and the countdown timer are effectively useless.
4. The bracelet has an two adjustment options about 4mm apart. I have large hands and wrists and on either setting the bracelet is too large for me. This means removing links.
5. Removing links is a pain in the proverbial. Some watches have small screws holding the links in. These are easy to shorten. Others have spring pins like the ones used to hold the strap onto the watch, these are fiddly but still ok. This watch relies on cheap bits of bent metal which are difficult to get out and even more difficult to put back together. If you don't have a load of patience and a selection of small tools I suggest you bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it. If you want to do it yourself you can find the instructions on the net under "How to resize the most common bracelets" But only do it when you've got an hour or two to spare, a well lit workspace and the right tools.
6. In common with so many watches these days the date is shown American style, i.e. mm-dd. and there seems to be no option to change this to the UK style dd-mm. Why not ? This has to be really simple to do as an option and I don't see why I should have to stop and think every time I look at the date just because I'm not American.
Would I recommend this watch - If you like the looks then possibly but only with the weaknesses above taken into account. Would I buy another one. NO. I also have to say that I'd probably think twice about buying another Casio just on the basis that the alarm tones are too high pitched.

Update Nov 2012 - Having had this watch a while now I'm still not impressed with it, but I had cause to think even less of it the other day. I turned around from washing my hands to pick up a towel to dry them and the bracelet came apart and the watch flew across the room. Fortunately no damage to the watch but it may tell you something about the quality of the bracelet which I'd already been unhappy with.

Bull Street (A White Collar Crime Thriller)
Bull Street (A White Collar Crime Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lender / Keeper, 30 Dec 2011
New Kindle user so looking for some good reading at a sensible price to get started on. This is my 2nd purchase - the first was David Lender's Vaccine Nation, and it really hits the spot. I find the Kindle really easy to use (I've got the latest keyboard free one) but the downside is that I'm now spending more time reading than I have in years. Of course it's the books that do it and this one I really enjoyed. For me there was plenty going on to keep me turning pages and twists and turns as well to keep me interested and on my toes.

Just bought Gravy Train and Trojan Horse from the same author so he must be doing something right.