Profile for Captain Spaulding > Reviews

Content by Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding (Carlisle, Cumbria, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Psychonaut: Book 1 in the Psychonaut Trilogy
The Psychonaut: Book 1 in the Psychonaut Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced modern fantasy - a melting pot of of Pulman/Barker/Tokien, 23 May 2016
This wasn't my first experience of reading Tom Adams, having read and very much enjoyed his compilation of short stories/novella(s), Defiled Earth. From reading this compilation (which I would definitely have a look at - and it's free), I didn't know what to expect from a full-length novel as Adams' story-telling ranged from distinctly Northern black horror to elegant Poe-like macabre mystery. Whatever the case, I approached The Psychonaut with an open-mind and I'm glad I did.

I'm not into adding spoilers into reviews, so I'll share my general impressions. The book is far more modern fantasy than horror (despite some horrific moments, it just doesn't read (nor do I believe it intends to) as horror). Overall, the book is redolent of a melting pot of Philip Pulman/JRR Tolkien/James Herbert and to successfully fuse elements of such fine writers is in itself impressive. There's at least one terrific twist, some gripping action and a storyline that distinctly qualifies as epic (one of the most-misused words of all time).

Some of the writing would benefit from being tightened up (occasionally a bit more show than tell) and one part of the plot bugged me slightly - but only one very tiny part of the story truly jarred (an incidental moment in truth), which I might well have picked up on wrong. Despite being a self-confessed potty mouth, I actual think the expletives could have occasionally been toned down, although the characters and situations certainly find themselves in some ****ing **** moments!

While I felt like I'd gone on a journey with the main characters, I'm hoping some of them will end up with a little more flesh on the bones in subsequent books. I've no idea where the story might go from here but I'm genuinely intrigued to find out. There are few authors I return to as there so many books in the world - and it takes a good story to make me want to continue into following books - but Mr Adams has made me a fan. Well worth a read.

Planet Waves Untreated Polish Cloth
Planet Waves Untreated Polish Cloth

1.0 out of 5 stars How to decorate your guitar in one easy step, 13 May 2015
Simply add a bit of cleaner/polish and start rubbing it into the guitar. Before long, your guitar will have lots of yellow 'confetti' all over it.

Total garbage. The clean-up job after cleaning makes it worthless. Zero stars.

OEM 6-IN-LINE SCHECTER LOCKING TUNERS TUNING MACHINE HEAD PEGS COSMO BLACK NEW
OEM 6-IN-LINE SCHECTER LOCKING TUNERS TUNING MACHINE HEAD PEGS COSMO BLACK NEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, good quality, 4 July 2014
Brilliant for the price. Little over £20 and as good as Grovers, etc. that I've used in other guitars. 100% satisfied.

Tonerider AC2 Alnico II Classic Humbucker Set - Zebra
Tonerider AC2 Alnico II Classic Humbucker Set - Zebra

5.0 out of 5 stars Half the price of Seymour Duncan - just as good!, 4 July 2014
These pick-ups are terrific. I researched pick-ups suited for jazz for a hollow-bodied electro-acoustic and, after looked at Seymour Duncan, Gibson Classic 57s, hand-wound, etc. and eventually felt that because a) there were enough good comments about Toneriders and b) they were just for a third choice Epiphone Dot Studio, these would be just fine. They're beyond just fine. Way beyond. The tone is smooth and clean but still with enough bite to give them some character. They take a clean sound nicely and even get some satisfying controlled feedback when overdriven (not always easy in a hollow-body).

Highly recommended.

The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins

2.0 out of 5 stars Excerpts from Fiesta Reader's Letters, 22 May 2014
I just finished this last night and, unlike the majority of Welsh's books, I can't see me reading it again. The main character (Lucy Brennan) and her counterpart (Lena Sorensen) are unconvincing and the sex scenes are like teenage fantasies from a jazz mag. The plot itself is interesting but the book as a whole feels hollow and half-baked. Disppointed.

Eldritch Horror Board Game
Eldritch Horror Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Arkham Horror...but much simpler and more fun!, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Eldritch Horror Board Game (Game)
I'm not going to go into lots of detail - go to BoardGameGeek if you want to read in-depth reviews.

I liked the idea of Arkham Horror but didn't ever get into it due to its complexity and irritating upkeep phases. This, however, is much simpler and more enjoyable. Highly recommended - I'm loving playing solo with two investigators.

Metallica: Enter Night: The Biography
Metallica: Enter Night: The Biography
by Mick Wall

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the early years, then fades away (like the band), 30 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this until Mick Wall started to slate ...And Justice For All, dismissing every track but One as 'turgid, overly-long', etc. It's a rough-sounding album but it's still great.

I think he should also have done more work to get to the bottom of Jason Newsted's feelings but, overall, I really enjoyed it.

Cushioned Scrabble Design Bean Bag Lap Tray Beanbag Cushion TV Bed Dinner Laptop
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, cheap and nasty tat, 30 Aug. 2013
My dad just bought me one of these. It is woefully lacking in 'beans', in that it has hardly any cushioning/padding. It really is pitiful how little effect the beanbag has. Very poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Christmas song for charity, 3 Dec. 2012
A real Christmas song that has a proper dig at X-Factor - perfect! All proceeds go to Cancer Research, NSPCC and Eden Valley Hospice. Bargain at twice the price! Go buy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 10:54 AM GMT

It's Our Christmas Song (Keep X-Factor off Number One)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic song with 100% of proceeds going to charity, 3 Dec. 2012

Page: 1 | 2 | 3