Profile for phillyman > Reviews

Content by phillyman

phillyman (Cookstown, Co Tyrone)

Page: 1 | 2
Chelsea FC Personalised Mug - Football Gifts
Chelsea FC Personalised Mug - Football Gifts
Offered by Nuts About Sport

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sept. 2015
This was a present for a friend, went down really well

Dad's Army - The Complete Ninth Series [1977] [DVD] [2007]
Dad's Army - The Complete Ninth Series [1977] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not the greatest, 6 Jun. 2007
I am a great fan of Dad's Army, and I have all 9 series on DVD, excluding the 3 missing episodes, for obvious reasons. As soon as series 9 was released, I bought it, but I thought that, at times, it lacked slightly the cutting edge of the previous series in terms of comedy element. If possible, I would have given it 4.5 stars, but I rounded down to 4. I thought it was a very touching moment when the Home Guard regulars (Captain Mainwaring, Sergeant Wilson, Corporal Jones and Privates Pike and Wilson paid tribute to the real-life Home Guard. What a great way to finish such a great series.

The fact that I thought the last series was not just as good is only my personal opinion. It is still money well-spent if you do buy it.

The Best Worship Songs ...Ever !
The Best Worship Songs ...Ever !
Offered by Re-vived

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best compilations, if not THE best, 16 Feb. 2007
I have been a born-again Christian for many years, but it is only within the past couple of years that I have begun to take an interest in modern Christian music outside of church. I purchased the sequel to this album before I had heard of this album, and I then purchased this album on the strength of More... Best Worship Songs Ever. I can honestly say that I have not been left disappointed with this offering. To some people, worship music is like church music - it can be dull and drab. However, this album lays that ghost to rest, with various lively pieces guaranteed to get you going. If you only buy one album, it is a toss-up between this album and its successor - if you buy two albums, it means you won't have to agonise over which one to buy. It will definitely be money well spent.

God's Smuggler
God's Smuggler
by Brother Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books you could ever read, 5 Feb. 2007
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Paperback)
God's Smuggler is the story of Brother Andrew, founder of Open Doors. In it, he tells us of his experiences in life, with the main focus on him, along with a few dedicated God-fearing, Christian friends, risking imprisonment and perhaps even their lives, smuggling Bibles beyond the Iron Curtain, so as to support his persecuted brothers and sisters who couldn't publicly worship their Lord and Saviour, and to reach out to the non-Christians in those countries. His experiences really show that there is no limit to what God can do, and no task is too small for Him. The book is easy to understand and easy-read, and it should force us all to look at our lives, and ask ourselves just what we are doing for Him.

The Pianist [DVD] [2003]
The Pianist [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Adrien Brody
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Suffering of Jews brought home, 4 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Pianist [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I found myself engrossed by the film 'The Pianist', which, in my mind, thoroughly deserved its 3 Oscars. Watching this film really brought home to me just how much the Jews suffered at the hands of Hitler and his murderous Nazi Party officials. I was particularly aghast at seeing the SS officials throw a wheelchair-bound man over the balcony because he couldn't stand up for them, before callously murdering the rest of his family. When my brother watched it for the first time, I told him of one scene at which he would be completely horrified, and indeed he was. We all know that the Nazi party was evil under Hitler, but The Pianist shows us just how brutal they really were. If you are not of a nervous disposition, I would strongly encourage you to watch The Pianist; it is an absolutely brilliant film.

Blackadder - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Blackadder - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by vicky's media 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 9 Nov. 2006
Blackadder was voted the 2nd best British sitcom a few years ago, but in my mind both it and Only Fools and Horses should be joint first! The brilliant portrayal of the characters by gifted actors, and the superb scriptwriting makes it the great show that it is. I promise you that this price is a very small price to pay for such a fantastic comedy and if you buy this, you will definitely not be disappointed.

Worship Songs
Worship Songs
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational collection of music, 29 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Worship Songs (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Worship music, I was only too happy to add this CD to my ever-increasing collection. I bought it on the strength of knowing quite a few of the songs on the album, and I can honestly say I was not disappointed with anything on the CD. My particular favourites are 'Shine Jesus Shine', 'I Will Enter His Gates With Thanksgiving' and 'There Is A Redeemer'. If you are a fan of worship music, you could do worse things with your money than buy this CD.

Essential Brass Bands
Essential Brass Bands

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide selection of music, 21 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Essential Brass Bands (Audio CD)
I received this CD this morning, and I have to say that I am pleased with my purchase. As a long-time fan of brass & silver bands, I was only too happy to add to my collection with this CD. The triple CD means there should be something in it for everyone. Admittedly, there were some pieces I had never heard tell of before, such as the Black and White Rag, but that's the best way to add to your music knowledge. My particular favourite was Love Changes Everything, from Aspects of Love, but there are so many pieces on the CDs that I enjoy listening to. If you're anything like me, you will not be disappointed by this CD.

The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story Of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story Of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
by Paul Hattaway

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heavenly Man - awe inspiring, 30 Sept. 2006
I have just finished reading The Heavenly Man, and in all honesty it is one of the best books, if not THE best book, I have ever read. As a Christian, it really challenged me about what I'm doing for the Lord, which is next to nothing compared to Brother Yun and our brothers and sisters in China. It really brought it home to me just how easy our life is in the Western world, when we can regularly attend public worship and worship our Heavenly Father, without being in danger of getting tortured or executed for that reason. This book is for both Christians and non-Christians alike - Christians can see just how blessed they are when they're not faced with such an extreme level of persecution, and non-Christians can find out about just how amazing God is, when he heals Yun's father and brings him back from death's door, and how he can let Yun survive for 74 days without food or water. This book has many more examples of God's amazing power and love, which are too numerous to mention. If you read this book, you will be really challenged, regardless of your religious persuasion.

Blackadder's Christmas Carol [1988] [DVD]
Blackadder's Christmas Carol [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, quite brilliant!, 14 Sept. 2006
Having seen Blackadder's Christmas Carol for the first time today, thus completing my Blackadder collection, I can honestly say I have not been disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed this extended episode from start to finish, with plenty of amusing moments to keep me laughing throughout. If you buy the DVD you will find it's money well spent.

Page: 1 | 2