Profile for B. Harrison > Reviews

Content by B. Harrison

B. Harrison "FancyFace" (Thanet, Kent, UK)

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
by Richard Ferber
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for an older child., 26 July 2014
An informative book with practical ideas for babies, children and teens too.

I was struggling (long term) with my 9 year old for a number of reasons - inconsistency and lack of routine, a wealth of delay tactics and an unrealistic expectation from us that he would go to sleep when we wanted if we just got the discipline right. Following the advice in the book we first monitored his actual sleep pattern and then made his bedtime much later (which he loved!) so he could learn to fall asleep immediately without trouble. Slowly we made bedtime earlier. We've settled at 9pm. He goes to sleep without fighting - and without struggling and still gets himself up in the mornings. Happiness all round.

I was determined to find a scientific book about sleep, not about alternative medicine, parenting style or bedtime routine - honestly, we had a bedtime routine... he still didn't sleep. I also needed to find a book that didn't focus on babies... my boy was a great baby with no sleep trouble. This book ticked all the boxes and also explained a few other things I found simply interesting to read.

The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true
The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book to inspire todays youth, 13 Nov 2011
I have long been disapointed that whilst it's easy to pick up a book about bible stories that appeal to youngsters, it's virtually impossible to find the athiest equivalent. I've bought this for a friend's son - ok, it probably wasn't the most interesting thing he unwraped on his birthday but in years to come it'll be this book that he can depend upon to lead him in the right direction - towards science!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2012 2:55 PM GMT

Learning Resources Smart Snacks Counting Cookies
Learning Resources Smart Snacks Counting Cookies
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Decisions, Decisions!, 8 Nov 2010
I love these counting cookies - they are real size (just smaller than a ginger nut)and come in a quality cookie jar - great for cafe and shop games as well as counting of course!

The only problem with these cookies is that you have to decide between these and the hide-and-peek-chocolates when buying them as a gift!

Learning Resources Smart Snacks Hide 'n' Peek Chocolates
Learning Resources Smart Snacks Hide 'n' Peek Chocolates
Offered by Just Childsplay
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent play value!, 8 Nov 2010
My two children (currently 4 and 5) play with this well made box of chocolates almost every day and we've owned it for over three years now - I've watched them play sorting games, counting, colour matching and memory games - but most of all they like to "eat" the chocolates! They give all the colours different flavours and serve them to their toys. They wrap the box in doll's blankets to make it a present, they use the top of the box as a plate and deliver the chocolates to everyone in the house.

I'd agree with the previous review that the lid doesn't stay on well but it has withstood the toughest treatment - we've trodden on it, thrown it and generally played with it - the box and lid are still intact - quality indeed! The chocolates look really real and yet you'd be happy to leave these toys with a very young child because of the lovely size (each one is about the size of a cupcake!)

A toy with true, lasting play value -I've also bought these as gifts and had excellent feedback from the other Mums too.

The Birthday Party Business: How to Make a Living as a Children's Entertainer
The Birthday Party Business: How to Make a Living as a Children's Entertainer
by Bruce Fife
Price: 15.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Face Painter Approval, 1 April 2008
At the time of writing I'm fairly new to the entertainment business. I was looking for a book that would help me target my marketing effort in the right direction and this book has helped me in many different ways and business is starting to come my way.

The book has been written by well known professionals in different fields - clowning, magic, face painting, games organisers etc, each one has their own section. From simple suggestions like making sure you look the part to some really good ways of making sure the business comes your way, I've found it an interesting and inspiring read.

Sell Your Crafts on eBay
Sell Your Crafts on eBay
by James Dillehay
Price: 2.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Tips for eBay Sellers, 10 Aug 2005
This book is an excellent tool to use when listing on eBay. it is not a technical manual to teach you how to use the website's features. It is packed full of tips on how to use selling techniques to increase the profits you're making.
Alongside this book I bought another eBay book - written by a guy who works for eBay - that book read like a manual "press enter to continue..." etc. I already knew how to navigate a website!
This book lists research resources that help you make better listings, in the right place, at the right time and using the right layout and language to help you item make more that a competitor's item. It teaches you how to make the most of follow up sales, how to maximise your profits selling your craft.
A real must-have before you begin craft auction sales.

Making Wire Jewelry (Jewelry Crafts)
Making Wire Jewelry (Jewelry Crafts)
by Helen Clegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful jewellery from wire with no specialist tools., 10 Aug 2005
I'm a fairly experienced wire worker and I love the ideas in this book. The designs are easy to make at home with no special equipment (except a pair of pliers & cutters) and the finished jewellery looks very professional.
Some designs are a little laborious (but that's the nature of making a chain or necklace from wire - you have to repeat each link.) However, the designs are all individual not variations on a theme and you can alter them yourself - adding beads and embelishments.
This is by far the best Wire Jewellery book I have ever found for either beginners or the more experienced but particularly for those wishing to make professional looking jewellery with the contents of their existing toolbox.

Collins Complete DIY Manual
Collins Complete DIY Manual
by Albert Jackson
Price: 22.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at beginner through to advanced., 10 Aug 2005
We hestitated before buying this book. We're fairly practical people with more than a modicom of inteligence and worried that it might turn out to be too basic for us - after all, we know how to rewire sockets, paint walls and dig a garden pond. We needed a reference book to help us with slightly more complex situations like wiring circuits and structural problems.
We need not have worried. This book tells us just what want to know, in just enough detail and with clear concise pictures so we don't always have to wade through the text.
Beginners will also find it useful - it explains things from the basics but simply goes further than most DIY manuals which seem to consider that "serious jobs" should be carried out professionally.
Highly recommended. Just don't also buy the matching guide to plumbing and wiring - you only need this book.

Trip to Lazibonia
Trip to Lazibonia
by H.M. Denneborg

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget your spoon!, 8 Jan 2004
This review is from: Trip to Lazibonia (Hardcover)
The children are awoken by the dream boat that takes them off to the magical land of Lazibonia!
Through the pyramid of rice pudding to the only place where roast chickens fly straight into your mouth, cheeses are scattered like stones and gingerbread cottages really exist so that the residents can simply lie around. Cooked fish swim in the milk river, honey roast hams run around ready to be carved for lunch. Fountains abound to deliver your favourite drink on a whim.
Need to loosen your belt? Clothes grow on trees and the grass is made of every imaginable colour of hair ribbon. Activity of any kind is frowned upon but if you want to learn you can start at the top and work your way down to kindergarton where you can just have fun all day!
Beautifully illustrated throughout, this is imagination at its best - the images from this book have stuck with me all through my life - fantastic!