Profile for Giang Levan > Reviews

Content by Giang Levan

Giang Levan "Fantasia" (Australia)

Complete Violin Sonatas, The (Stern, Istomin)
Complete Violin Sonatas, The (Stern, Istomin)

4.0 out of 5 stars ANYONE FOR BEETHOVEN VIOLIN SONATAS?, 11 Mar 2013
I already own this work on CDs but a different pressing and the recording quality was better mixed on Sony Super Bit Mapping. I love IsaacStern playing on the violin that is the reason why I would not mind having another set which serves as the present for some of my friends who also appreciate Beethoven Violin sonatas ( by the way which are a bit neglected by musicians and FM broadcasters). Overall I am very happy with it. Also the service from the seller is excellent.
A little note on Beethoven Sonatas: Most people go for the 2 popular sonatas: op24 "Spring" and op47 "Kreutzer", Open your heart to other less popular Beethoven sonatas, you will be greatly rewarded especially opus 96,and also listen to some of the older school of musicians like Isaac Stern, Eugene Istomin, you will be amazed

Isaac Stern Collection: The Complete Trio Recordings, Vol. 2 - Beethoven Piano Trios
Price: 50.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Beethoven Piano Trios collection, 11 Mar 2013
This is a set that you must have if you like Beethoven Piano Trios. The performance of Opus 97 and Opus 70/2 by this trios are superb. setting a standard for other performance to match.
For the HIFI buffs, the recording quality is superb, It claims to be Sony ADD( Analogue Digital D something I forgot) pressing in 1990 which surprisingly is better than the Sony SBM ( Super Bit Mapping) 1995 pressing ( too much playing with mixing I think)which I own on another set. the latter recordings are very good too but the ADD is better ( anyone for vinyls?)

Finding Nemo [Blu-ray]
Finding Nemo [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Albert Brooks
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nemo/Nemo3D resurrection, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Finding Nemo [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I recently rated BRAVE is the best product of animated arts which was created by PIXAR STUDIOS. Actually it is BRAVE 3D. I love 3D movies ( remember those ViewMaster which allowed us viewing 12 still 3D pictures, they did cost quite a bit too). Combining 3D technology and Animation Arts, PIXAR produced outstanding masterpieces. I recently saw FINDING NEMO 3D and fell in love with it as much as I did for BRAVE 3D. It is really beautiful, the reef, the underwater world, the Sydney Harbour, the whale, turtles, multitude of colourful reef fish, not forgetting the sharks, the prawn, the pelicans, the seagulls....
they are magnificient ( making you wonder why on earth some ridiculous paintings like Pollock's are hung in the art galleries ). The story is compelling, full of love, tragedy, heroic sacrifice...It is presented with charm, wits and humour. Just some examples : watch the facial expressions of Bruce the shark ,Gill the captive, Dory the forgetful soul...................there is a lot more , the more I watch Nemo the more I love it and found it a real rewarding experience. A real feast for the eyes.
My thank to all the staff of the PIXAR STUDIOS who helped creating another GrandMasterpiece of Animation ARTS. Another real JOY to the world!!!Congratulation to PIXAR STUDIOS, ( by the way I am looking forwards to see Monsters Inc, 3D in the near future )
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 11:05 PM BST

Brave (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Brave (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kelly Macdonald
Price: 19.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast for the family and the young at heart, 18 Jun 2012
They kept on making better and better animation movies. BRAVE is the best animation movies up to now. I would like to congratulate the Pixar studios for bringing such a joy to the world. I have been looking out for this movies and saw this movies on the first day,first session of the special prescreening before it is supposed to be screening the following week. It was so good that I saw it twice on the same day. something I have never done to any movies before. and I will see this movies again and again, it is that good
I hate reading reviews that tell you what happened in the movies. it is like telling who done it in a murder mystery. so I will not tell anything and just let you find out for yourself what happens. I can only tell you that this is a grand masterpiece of animation, an animation at its best, a real beauty set in a fascinating time, a timeless tale It would carry us out of this world into a world full of wonder, beauty, a neverland. It is Magical.
For those who appreciate arts, watch the dresses carefully and compare them with the masterpiece paintings in art galleries. Also watch the facial expressions of the characters and compare them with the best actors and actresses in best acting movies.
One word of warning, do not leave until after the credits or you will miss out something.
It is such a joy and I already enquired about buying it on 3D bluray when it is available
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 5:24 AM GMT

Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray]
Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jack Black
Price: 14.27

5.0 out of 5 stars KUNG FU PANDA A GRAND MASTERPIECE OF ANIMATION, 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I saw Kung Fu Panda on the big screen in a theatre and told myself I must have a copy of this movie when it is out on DVDs.
As a matter of fact, I have it both on DVD (so I can view it on my portable DVD player) and Bluray ( so I can view it in the best viewing media available now). I must have seen this movie at least 8 times since it was released. It's fun( just imagine a big clumsy Panda who wants to learn Kung Fu and you can see ) The setting of the movie is spectacular with Chinese scenery,palaces and architecture.Dreamworks animation is outstanding especially those kungfu fighting actions which are stunning. Dreamworks has set a new level of action animation. The expressions of the charaters are real first class (just look at the Panda's facial expression for example). It's a great entertainment for the family. It is humorous and full of humanity. I've loved animation since my first love for Mickey mouse and Donald duck and Walt Disney's Snow White and the 7 dwarfs...There are many animation masterpieces and this is one of them. By the way the Bluray gives crystal clear and ultra sharp pictures and colours, a lot better than the normal standard DVD ( My way of comparison this movie between the standard dvd and the bluray is like a step forward to colour from black and white)
It is truly a pleasure to watch Kung Fu Panda and I am very content and happy to have it in my animation Video collection and would recommend this masterpiece to anyone who appreciates animation and good family entertainment.My rating 5 stars out of 5.