Profile for James Elliman > Reviews

Content by James Elliman

James Elliman "he likes music" (Harrogate, North Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Sharpie W10 Permanent Marker Chisel Tip Black - Pack of 1
Sharpie W10 Permanent Marker Chisel Tip Black - Pack of 1
Price: 0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice pen, 25 April 2014
Works, good thick end, dries fast, easy and comfortable to hold and the lid is nice and secure.

No complaints so far, if you need a good thick black marker, you could do a lot worse for the money!

Stand for Nest Learning Thermostat
Stand for Nest Learning Thermostat
Price: 29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it sets out to do., 25 April 2014
I didn't really know where to have the thermostat installed, and I couldn't make my mind up before the installer came, so I got the stand instead of having to make a hasty decision.

I'm glad I did.

It is great having the flexibility of moving the thermostat around, even though you aren't advised to as it could interfere with the learning capabilities of the device. However, knowing you can move it if you habits change is well worth the 30 asking price.

As for the stand itself, not too much to say, but it looks nice and is in keeping with the beautiful aesthetics of the thermostat itself. It is good and sturdy and holds the thermostat in place when you are using the rotating controls. Very easy to put together with a couple of screws supplied and fixed into the back plate.

All in all, not that cheap for what it is, but if you have just splashed out on the thermostat itself, then this is a small extra to pay for the flexibility it offers.

Beverly Hills Polo Club Black & Blue Boxer Trunks - 2Pack (M)
Beverly Hills Polo Club Black & Blue Boxer Trunks - 2Pack (M)
Offered by Brand Avenue Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, stylish, right price., 18 Nov 2013
I can't be the only one, but I'm more than reluctant to spend 20 on 2 pairs of pants. Usually wait for Xmas and my mum to buy me some calvin Klein's which I will then wear only at weekends for the next year.

I got married a couple of weeks ago and wanted something a bit nicer than my midweek work pants, so opted for these.

I must say, they are as good as the Calvin's and half the price. Good feeling quality material, nice and fitted, without being too tight. And of course, the price is good.

Will be buying more.

Fudge Matte Head Firm Hold Texture Paste With An Extra Matte Finish 75g / 2.5 fl.oz.
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hold, nice packaging., 18 Nov 2013
Like most men, I have used countless hair products searching for the perfect one.

This comes pretty close.

It isn't cheap, but you don't need much per day. In fact, the more you use, the worse it looks. Has a slightly unattractive wet greasy look if you use too much.

It smells nice and holds shape throughout a day at work. But will start to wilt a bit as the evening goes on. Which to me is fine, as the ultra hardcore hold products tend to make your hair look horrible.

I really like the packaging, much easier pressing the button and leaving it, rather than screwing on a lid with messy hands. Only downside is, you never know exactly how much you have less.

As good as it is, I will probably chose something else next time in that elusive search...

Remington MB320C Barba Beard Trimmer
Remington MB320C Barba Beard Trimmer
Price: 22.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, with a couple of reservations, 18 Nov 2013
To set the scene, I have used pretty much most types of shaving gear, cheap disposables, expensive disposables, electric razors, double edged razors etc etc. Had varying levels of results and skin irritation.

I probably got my best shave from the double edged, but all the messing about with lathering started to get to me, and I craved the quick fix of something simpler.

Step in the Barba beard trimmer.

I'm using this to keep a tidy level of stumble. So far, it is working well. I use it on the lowest setting with the guard, I would say it is slightly more than stubble, but for me it is fine. If you want proper short stubble, this may not be right for you. Helps with irritation as no metal actually touches and scrapes your face thanks to the guard.

The product is nice and light, and seems reasonably powerful. You do have to move the blades quite slowly, as it will nip and pull a bit if you go to fast. When you get your rhythm, it works well.

My only real issue is the cutting head isnt very wide, would have like to have seen this wider to speed up shaving. I guess this helps with precision and keeps the price down, so not a bad tradeoff. The little mini precision cutter is also useful.

Charges quickly and last a couple of weeks on one charge.

I would buy this again for the money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performer, superb price., 18 Nov 2013
I have wanted an SSD drive for a long time now, and prices have reached a level I'm comfortable with, so decided to take the plunge.

I'm very glad I did.

My desktop setup has a midrange graphics card, 8gb of ram, and Haswell i5 CPU with windows 8.1. Not the highest spec, but pretty decent.

My PC is generally fast and have had no real complaints about it, however, putting an SSD drive inside takes it to another level. Windows boot up time has probably dropped by 2/3rds, and everything just moves a lot quicker. It is also nice having separation between my windows installation and my other larges files/ programmes is great, as makes reinstalling with does a breeze. The drive also looks lovely too, nice brushed metal finish.

Loads of speed tests out there for specific figures, but believe me, in day to day use you will see a difference.

The drive comes in modest packaging, make sure you buy a sata cable and have a power cable spare, as well as a caddy if fitting to a desktop, as this is literally just the drive.

Highly recommended.

Hawaiian Tropic Aftersun Body Butter Exotic Coconut
Hawaiian Tropic Aftersun Body Butter Exotic Coconut
Offered by Venture Blue
Price: 6.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Smells good!, 18 Nov 2013
Needed some of this after a hot holiday and skin was peeling a bit. This sounded nice, came in a pretty big tub also being fairly cheap.

Started applying this morning and evening, and skin was lovely and soft! I'm a bloke that doesn't really go in for this sort of thing normally, but it does feel excellent and smells even better.

If you need a good amount of moisturiser for a decent price, I'm sure you could do a lot worse.

Sport DirectTM Bicycle Bike Cycle Mega Mini 2x2 Silicone LED Light Set White, Legally Flashing Light Set Conforms to Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations SI2005 No.2559. CE Approved
Offered by Sports4ever
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, even better price!, 18 Nov 2013
Not much to say about these, asides from they are nice and light, easy to mount to your bike, bright light with three flash modes.

If you have very thick handlebars, you might find you stretching the silicone a bit thin which could see it snap. But for my particular bike this isn't a problem.

Not sure on battery life yet, but it is easily replaceable and that type of battery is nice and cheap.

They are excellent, and I'm going to buy another set for myself and recommend to friends and family.

TFA Digital Cooking Thermo-Timer, White
TFA Digital Cooking Thermo-Timer, White
Offered by Wetterladen24
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate with decent build quality., 18 Nov 2013
I have owned a couple of meat thermometers, usually the analog probe types, but was looking for one I could keep the probe in whilst the meat is in the oven and able to monitor the temp constantly without opening the door. This seems ideal.
I tested the probe in boiling water, and perfect at 100 degrees.
The unit uses one aaa battery, no idea how long it will last, but there doesn't seem to be a way to power the device down without taking the battery out, which is slightly annoying. It isn't really a device you use everyday, so this looks to be a bit of an oversight.
It has magnets on the back to stick it to your oven door, they work but aren't the strongest magnets going and it can slip.
The probe itself is plently long and the cable has a nice feeling, quality metal type material protecting it which makes me think it will last a long time.
The general build quality feels a bit flimsy, particularly the fold up mechanism to tilt the screen, as this is something that gets occasional use and sits in a drawer most the time, I'm not too concerned.
Overall, a good purchase at a reasonable price.
The unit has alarm functions, so set your max temp and the alarm will sound when you reach it, or use a timer function.

Fits & Starts
Fits & Starts
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Best debut album of 2008, 27 May 2008
This review is from: Fits & Starts (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure 2008 could top last year for music releases, but it's off to a great start with some incredible albums firmly under its belt, and it's only May.

Now we have O Fracas to join the likes of Portishead, Lykke Li and Midnight Juggernauts in making 2008 a vintage year for superb albums. Hailing from Leeds, this four piece tread a different path to fellow Yorkshire big hitters Kaiser Chiefs and The Pigeon Detectives. Instead of the now familiar indie-pop, O Fracas give us something different, and ultimately much more satisfying.

Fits and starts is probably the best way to describe "Fits and Starts", the guitars battle each other in staccato bursts, but they always have a strong melody that keeps you listening. "Fact Finding" with its ADHD rhythms and "Follow Sue" has a huge urgency about it that recalls Toyko Police Club at their best. They also do the quieter moments well, on "You can Hear The World From Menwith Hill" they reveal a less hectic side; but it doesn't last long.

The whole album has an understated production to it, and I love the lo-fi feel. I hate it when you listen to an album and you know it's been worked on and tweaked for months getting the sound "perfect", and just comes away feeling like a product with no soul.

I've not had the album long, but it already has cemented itself in my collection, and I hope 2008 will be a good year for them. They certainly have the songs to make them a huge success, and can't wait to hear more. Judging by this debut, there are big things coming for O Fracas.

Page: 1 | 2